test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mogai Textures at a Distance - White?

fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
A fleet-mate started telling me of an issue he was having where the Valdore would appear white at certain distances. Real far away, it appears just fine. Real close - also just fine. But there appeared to be a buffer zone of sorts in between where it is white.

I went to try to verify this, as he and I have completely different hardware specs. I am indeed able to replicate the issue. At first I was trying to record ship distances, but then he asked me to adjust my camera distance as well. I found that it does indeed appear to be based on camera and not just flat ship distance.

I wanted to make a report of this here to see if others also have this issue, and if this ship missed the texture fix that they did way back when they acknowledged such an issue on Tribble.

Thanks, all, and be safe.

EDIT: Upon closer observation I have also noticed it is only the wings of the ship. The neck, head and nacelles of the ship appear just fine. Only the wings have this white effect. This hapens at the Flotilla, as well as on maps where we see other Valdores.
Post edited by fazemladaiya on

Comments

• aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited May 2013
    its probably the way his video card reflects light.. have him turn down the bloom intensity.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah I've seen this, and players have pm me saying my ship turned white from far away, it's not bloom
    GwaoHAD.png
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    its probably the way his video card reflects light.. have him turn down the bloom intensity.

That was a good suggestion and worth a try, but his bloom was at 100 percent and mine at 500 percent. To rule this out, I did turn my bloom all the way off. It made no difference. The white texture persists. Also we are using entirely different graphics technologies as well, so both of us being able to replicate this makes me wonder if others are having this as well and just not noticing (I admit I never noticed it until he brought it to my attention. The only ship I stare at is my own. All others just blow up when I say hello to them).
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I have seen this too. Not so much on PC ships, though I wouldn't rule that out -- I just don't recall that specifically. But I can replicate seeing the white (textureless white) wings on the one Mogai at the Romulan flotilla here with regularity.

It's not simply that the wings appear white colored while retaining their textures -- the textures are either not there or being obstructed by a plain white blob conforming to the shape of the wing mesh. FWIW, my bloom is set at 20%.

My video card is the nVidia GeForce GTX 570. Have seen this running the 314.22 drivers. I know a new driver just came out -- have not really paid attention to see if there's any difference. I'll keep an out out and update this if I notice any change with the 320.18s. (Also, I'm running with the DX11 setting.)

EDIT: Yes, it's still happening with the new drivers. Just as you describe, at a specific view distance -- makes me think it's a LOD texturing issue.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »

It's not the bloom setting Faelandaea has his at 500% and mine is 100% the only parts of the ship that turn white are the wings the rest of the ship are fine at any distance. for me the distance is 4.5km to 14.1km and the only variant I have notice this on is the Valdore, I will have to double check to see if it happens with the Mogai but I believe it is just the Valdore.

Edit: just so we can see that it is not video cards as well, Nvidia 9800 GT is the card I am running on high settings all max out except bloom is at 100% and on high.
    edited May 2013
    It's not the bloom setting Faelandaea has his at 500% and mine is 100% the only parts of the ship that turn white are the wings the rest of the ship are fine at any distance. for me the distance is 4.5km to 14.1km and the only variant I have notice this on is the Valdore, I will have to double check to see if it happens with the Mogai but I believe it is just the Valdore.

Aye, and a reminder, as a test - I turned my bloom quality to OFF and my slider to 0 . . . same effect, though I'll just leave the bloom off from now on because it did nothing for me anyway LOL. Either way, however, bloom is not the issue.
    ayradyss wrote: »
    My video card is the nVidia GeForce GTX 570. Have seen this running the 314.22 drivers. I know a new driver just came out -- have not really paid attention to see if there's any difference. I'll keep an out out and update this if I notice any change with the 320.18s. (Also, I'm running with the DX11 setting.)

So it does not appear to be a specific driver issue. I am not even running the same brand. My fleet-mate is also running nvidia, but I am running an ATI 4870-X2 HD.
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Its at medium distance it turns white, likely something in the texture maps (likely the lightning map).

Not new, been reported on Tribble back in Beta.

Agreed. That's why I mentioned it in my OP. They acknowledged it and fixed it, or so we thought. It looks like they fixed all the ships but somehow the Valdore's wings slipped through the cracks.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Its at medium distance it turns white, likely something in the texture maps (likely the lightning map).

Not new, been reported on Tribble back in Beta.

they fixed this issue with most ships but I am thinking the Valdore was missed
    edited May 2013

Oh wow. Yes. Sorry, all my wording is off in all of my posts!!!

I watched a Mogai float away from me just now and it stayed fine on textures. I thought "WTF"? So I floated closer to the flotilla and took in detail. It's the Valdore doing this, NOT the Mogai! I am about to correct all of my posts to replace "Mogai" with "Valdore"
  • donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Just confirming that both mine and my girlfriends Valdores suffer with white wing syndrome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited May 2013
    Just confirming that both mine and my girlfriends Valdores suffer with white wing syndrome.

We just ran more tests as well. He is running Valdore Engines. I am running Mogai engines. His Valdore engines suffer the same fate, but to him my Mogai engines are just fine - only my wings suffer. So if any Dev reads this, you may want to look into the wings and engines of the Valdore.
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I can confirm that too -- it is indeed the Valdore model that's going white on me here too.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had this happen yesterday with Charva's ship. It was white, right up until I flew really close to it, then the texture loaded. Only ships I've ever seen this happen to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've noticed it too.

It looks like an issue with LOD models, because it will come and go depending on your distance from the ship.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I remember Taco mentioning that the textures on everything now change resolution depending on how far you are from them. This sounds like the lower-res textures for the Mogai are bugged and disappear instead of change.

I, too, have seen this happen in missions with players flying Mogai warbirds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • uncle2fireuncle2fire Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have noticed this, but I never really paid much attention to it, so I have no idea of any specifics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]