test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a reason to sub?

foshizzllefoshizzlle Member Posts: 0
edited May 2013 in The Academy
I'm enjoying the game again (played when it was released, much better now) and was thinking of subbing but why should I? The f2p version of the game seems to be fairly generous and besides the extra inventory and small things like that, I don't really see a glaring need to sub. Can someone explain the benefits of subbing over staying f2p? I've been looking for a page on this site but I haven't been able to find one. If a sub really isn't worth it then I may just buy a few things in the C-Store that improve my quality of life in the game. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are going to be playing a lot and creating a LOT of characters. The subscritpion can pay for itself in terms of the free services that Gold accounts get (i.e. costume changes, ships costume changes, respecs, extra banks and inventory slots, etc). Otherwise it's probably better to stay silver and just pay as you go. If you stay subscribed long enough, the Veteran rewards are nice as well: extra custom and ship slots, Retrofit ship tokes, the 1000 day free ship.
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold players get free respecs at their promotions. Also, if you have alts the account bank is nice.

Subbing once and using the C-store is similar to my path. I got the Collector's Edition at discount (free 30 days). Bought 4 character slots. Later got the Deluxe Edition (free 30 days). And now this week went Life.

The free respecs aren't backdated. If your alt is 50, they missed out. If your alt is 50 but you NEVER accepted your promotions and then go Gold...you get all those free respecs.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Considering how fast levelling is in this game, I'd say it's worth subbing for a month while you get your character up and running, as you'll get a decent amount of stuff out of it, and you keep the inventory and bank expansions on the character even after your sub lapses(you will need to buy the EC cap increase though, as that goes away). Beyond that? Meh. Honestly, if the 500Z stipend and vet rewards actually appeal to you, you're best saving a bit of cash and then buying Lifetime when it's on sale; it's far cheaper than subbing for the amount of time necessary to get the unlocks, and you get them all in one go right away. I suppose if you like creating Foundry content and you can't be arsed grinding Dilithium to buy slots, that might be a reason to sub.

For most people, you're best sticking with Silver and occasionally buying a bit of Zen(or grinding Dilithium and EC to buy everything ingame, if you have the time).

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    khanstruewrathkhanstruewrath Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    TRIBBLE subbing, lifetime all the way.
    Romulus burned, untold billions died.
    It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
    Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
    New Romulus rises.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Agreed. Lifetime just unlocks everything. If you're in the game for the long haul and you can take the one time monitary hit then go for it :)

I don't think you'll regret it.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love my lifetime, but can't imagine paying $15 a month.
  • Options
    carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most cost-effective option too, if the game lasts at least a year and a half from the time you bought the LTS.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LTS if you got the money lying around...otherwise a retail version at very low cost (still available on amazon, i think)
    so onetime subscribing is already a giant leap forward, i'd recommand it especially while you level 1-2 (or even more) characters.

i see no reason for staying subscribed for longer than a month
    Go pro or go home