test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Box reward announcements

numenranumenra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok so I have been playing now for almost a month and the most annoying and recurring issue I have right now is the box reward texts. Is there no way at all to disable this!?

I'm at my wits end while doing my missions, reading NPC chats and such and I have to see that Capt Shmoe has won something. What in the heck is the reason for this, it serves me not one ounce of good let alone care so why is this there.

Now if this has been brought up before, which I'm sure it has forgive this but I had no particular thought on what someone may have titled their complaint on this to read a previous thread.
Post edited by numenra on

Comments

• Options
    zatharus2zatharus2 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    numenra wrote: »
    Ok so I have been playing now for almost a month and the most annoying and recurring issue I have right now is the box reward texts. Is there no way at all to disable this!?

I'm at my wits end while doing my missions, reading NPC chats and such and I have to see that Capt Shmoe has won something. What in the heck is the reason for this, it serves me not one ounce of good let alone care so why is this there.

Now if this has been brought up before, which I'm sure it has forgive this but I had no particular thought on what someone may have titled their complaint on this to read a previous thread.

You can disable it by going into the notification settings

Under the Fly By section
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's a drop-down arrow on the lower right of your Minimap (where you go to, say, visit your ship's bridge). That's where the Notification Settings menu is.

As Zatharus said, just disable Fly By and it'll stop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that also cans things like being told "The server will be taken down for maintenance in 15 minutes".

Of course, Cryptic knows this and is in no hurry to change it, since lockbox advertising is good for business.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that also cans things like being told "The server will be taken down for maintenance in 15 minutes".

Of course, Cryptic knows this and is in no hurry to change it, since lockbox advertising is good for business.

Of course, that may also be why the Admin announcement is separate from the Gameplay announcement setting.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thratch1 wrote: »
    There's a drop-down arrow on the lower right of your Minimap (where you go to, say, visit your ship's bridge). That's where the Notification Settings menu is.

As Zatharus said, just disable Fly By and it'll stop.

That's great. But I still think the game shouldn't announce "Average Joe has been awarded a Galor-cruiser".

When I got my Temporal Science Vessel, the first thing that happened?

I was literally inundated with PMs saying "Hey, want to trade/sell that to me?"
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter has the same problem, but they changed it so that only the character's name is displayed and not the full name. Guess they don't have the problem of people getting messages that say Can I buy your lockbox mount for a fifth of what it is worth and other bargaining that people won't go for. Had too many of those types of message when I lucked out and got 2 D'Koras in a minute.
  • Options
    daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zatharus2 wrote: »
    You can disable it by going into the notification settings

Under the Fly By section

And if you are like me, and you don't really care what ship someone luckier than me just got, you can uncheck the chat button too, and not even see them there. :D

Jolan'tru
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited May 2013

In all fairness. The pink text in the chat window is hard to ignore. So even if the fly-by is disabled, you can still get fair warning.

By contrast, the "Average Joe is more awesome than you" text is the same as general gameplay and is therefore easily lost among the "Enemy shields are offline" messages.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah honestly after a while I don't even see it. It's only really bad the first few days of a lockbox. I remember logging on the first day of the Dominion box and there was a message literally every 5 seconds for about the first hour, it was nuts. But generally you just don't notice that much after a while.

Like commercials on TV. You are aware of them but not really there.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013
    In all fairness. The pink text in the chat window is hard to ignore. So even if the fly-by is disabled, you can still get fair warning.

1) That text doesn't need to be pink. In fact I'm pretty sure the default is yellow.

2) You can disable the chat window text with the check box right next to the flyby check box.

It IS super annoying and I feel sorry for those who are very new to the game and don't want to see that text.

However, considering the relative rarity of getting an actual ship ( 1 in 250 boxes, supposedly), if they didn't have those messages, you'd have people believing that they only way to really get a ship is to be a Cryptic employee or something. Cryptic needs people to know that those ships really are being won (sometimes) to entice people to buy keys.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The default is yellow only for System messages. Admin messages are always pink, as are Dev named toons.

As far as I know you can't change the colour of the Admin messages

That whole message is designed with the intention of making you spend a bunch of Zen in keys to open boxes so that you can "see your name in lights".
  • Options
    voxinvictusvoxinvictus Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2013
    tc10b wrote: »
    The default is yellow only for System messages. Admin messages are always pink, as are Dev named toons.

As far as I know you can't change the colour of the Admin messages

I have always seen Dev names as pink, and I have NEVER seen any ship notification as pink. ALWAYS yellow for me.

Server shutdowns and such are pink, but that's not the same channel as the ship notifications.

Edit:

Just logged in and checked: "System" message default color is yellow and can be changed.

The dev/server shutdown, etc messages are pink by default, and can't be changed.

Sounds like some one changed "System" messages to pink and doesn't have "Gameplay" notifications turned off.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was talking about admin messages. They come through on the [Admin] Channel, these messages are displayed a couple of times in game. Map manager fails, trying to change instances where there are no other available and server downtime annoucements.

These are always in pink, and generally can't be disabled.
  • Options
    numenranumenra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks all for the feedback! I definitely missed the options to toggle that off then bleh!
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) That text doesn't need to be pink. In fact I'm pretty sure the default is yellow.

2) You can disable the chat window text with the check box right next to the flyby check box.

It IS super annoying and I feel sorry for those who are very new to the game and don't want to see that text.

However, considering the relative rarity of getting an actual ship ( 1 in 250 boxes, supposedly), if they didn't have those messages, you'd have people believing that they only way to really get a ship is to be a Cryptic employee or something. Cryptic needs people to know that those ships really are being won (sometimes) to entice people to buy keys.

By Pink I was refering to the maintenance/admin messages which are default of pink. The idea was, in response to the post quoted, Maintenance notices (which we assume everyone wants to see) are harder to ignore and thus miss, if one disables fly-bys.

Again, the point is that the Maintenance notice, which is in pink in the chat window, would be visible and thus not missed over the course of normal gameplay.

By contrast, The "Average Joe won Lock Box Ship X" is the same color as your various "Hull strength is 75%" and "the Enemies shields are down" messages, which makes them, even if they are in the chat window, easily lost and ignored.