test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What came first??

catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Ten Forward
I have browsed many threads and something irrelevant came to mind... "What came first, the question, or the answer?"

To answer this, you must keep in mind, the fact that the truth is and always has been out there, knowledge and wisdom are all facts of any reality and forms of excistance, from imagination to the furthest reagions of time/space with in each energy lyes potential for limitless questions to limitless answers, queries imagined by the mightiest form of opnipotent intelligence to the lowest state of consiousness even down to a bacterias chemical reasoning each having thier own answers but yet each having the questions that are posed to unlock thier secrets, like if you take cranberrys and stew them like prunes, they taste much more like rubarb then applesauce does....now that i've messed your mind a bit and got those wheels to moving, I ask again. "What came first, the answer, or the question?"
Post edited by catstarsto on

Comments

• snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Question first appeared in Blue Beetle comics in June 1967.

Allen Iverson was born June 7, 1975.

The Question came first.

/thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The Question came first.

/thread

For the sake of the discussion i wont say if your right or wrong, but this isnt based off that comic, nor can the answer or the question for this thread be found outside of this thread. The reality of this instance will be localised to this thread and to the imaginations and wit of those who can decipher my riddle.

EDIT: Infact the first 3 who can guess what the correct answer is and why will win a master key mailed to them ingame.
  • scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    catstarsto wrote: »
    I have browsed many threads and something irrelevant came to mind... "What came first, the question, or the answer?"

To answer this, you must keep in mind, the fact that the truth is and always has been out there, knowledge and wisdom are all facts of any reality and forms of excistance, from imagination to the furthest reagions of time/space with in each energy lyes potential for limitless questions to limitless answers, queries imagined by the mightiest form of opnipotent intelligence to the lowest state of consiousness even down to a bacterias chemical reasoning each having thier own answers but yet each having the questions that are posed to unlock thier secrets, like if you take cranberrys and stew them like prunes, they taste much more like rubarb then applesauce does....now that i've messed your mind a bit and got those wheels to moving, I ask again. "What came first, the answer, or the question?"

The question. By definition, an answer is a reaction to a question.

"My eyes are brown." That's a statement, not an answer.

"What color are your eyes?"
    "My eyes are brown." That's an answer.

The answer can't exist without the question because the question is what makes it an answer. Without the question, it's just a declaration.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Depends on what they are, and when the question was aked.

If I ask someone "what's your son's name?" and they don't have a son, the answer doesn't exist yet.*

If I ask them "do you have a son", the answer is either yes or no and therefore existed before the question was asked.

*Unless they say "I don't know", which would totally TRIBBLE everything up.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited May 2013
    Depends on what they are, and when the question was aked.

If I ask someone "what's your son's name?" and they don't have a son, the answer doesn't exist yet.*

If I ask them "do you have a son", the answer is either yes or no and therefore existed before the question was asked.

*Unless they say "I don't know", which would totally TRIBBLE everything up.

The answer didn't exist before you asked the question, because it wasn't an answer until you asked the question. Before you asked, it was simply a fact.

The question is what turned the fact into an answer.
    edited May 2013
    Although, if I'm being honest... I'm cheating here. I'm using linguistics to side-step the philosophical point of the question.

Bad me.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The answer didn't exist before you asked the question, because it wasn't an answer until you asked the question. Before you asked, it was simply a fact.

It did exist before the question was asked; it just wasn't an answer yet.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited May 2013
    It did exist before the question was asked; it just wasn't an answer yet.

Right. If it wasn't an answer until the question was asked, that means the question had to have come before the answer. The answer didn't exist. The facts that would be used to give the answer existed, but not the answer.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    but this isnt based off that comic,

Least you admit AI is the Answer.

Seems all that's left now is ... practice. Not a game. Not a game. Practice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The answer came first.

Without an answer first there could be no opinion or interpretation which leads to the question.
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The question. By definition, an answer is a reaction to a question.

"My eyes are brown." That's a statement, not an answer.

"What color are your eyes?"
    "My eyes are brown." That's an answer.

The answer can't exist without the question because the question is what makes it an answer. Without the question, it's just a declaration.

I go with this answer myself. You can't have answers without questions, but you can have questions without answers.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The answer came first, if we had the question we would know what it was and ask it and wouldn't need to ask any other questions
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    to formulate a question you need words, syntax and therefore a frame of reference which, once stated, will hold the answer, although i might not yet know what i'm asking the answer, as any other answer included in my question-space/frame of reference, is already there while I still sit there asking myself what i should ask.

So the Answer is always first.

BUT

there are situations where the answer does not exist or is indetermined (and not determineable if thats a word^^) but i'm assuming those where left out in your original question..
  • thanatos9tthanatos9t Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I agree with the Dishevelled Vulcan :D

The Answer even if it exists as a fact before is not the answer until after the question is asked.

"I walked away from the last great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time, no space. Just me!"
  • spektre12spektre12 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Big Bang.........duh! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The question is the search for knowledge. The answer is the knowledge. The knowledge is always there, one must simply search for it.
  • draugadandraugadan Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guys, it was the chicken. geesh...
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited May 2013

"We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    which came first the question or the answer?

The question

One must think of a question to solve for an answer to be given without the question there is no answer without a thought there is neither a question or answer.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer this, it must be understood that there are three elements to this, not just two.

First of all is the Fact. That which is, and which is to be perceived. Without the Fact, there is nothing to reference anything to, and no basis for evaluation. A Fact can never be wrong, as it is Truth in an objective form.

Second of all is the Question. That is, what we wish to know about the Fact, or what we lack in our knowledge of the Fact. The Question is based upon our previous experiences, and used to determine what senses/sensors we will use to perceive the Fact. A Question can be wrong by being incorrectly constructed for the perception of the Fact, or failing in which Fact it is used for.

Third of all is the Answer. That is, the perception of the Fact by the mind of the observer through senses/sensors and the analysis of that information into a concept that provides understanding of the Fact. The Answer can be wrong by faulty senses/sensors, incorrect or incomplete analysis of the information from those senses/sensor, or simple inability to perceive the Fact by the senses/sensors used.

So, to answer your question, First came the Fact. Once the fact existed, then could come the lack of knowledge about the Fact. So, the Question came Second. Once the Question existed, perception and analysis of the Fact could produce knowledge. Thus, the Answer came Third.

If, however, either the Question or the Answer are incomplete or incorrect, then the Fact is not completely comprehended, and so a new Question is produced. That then follows with the effort to find another Answer. And so on. Also, there must be an initial Fact in the form of basic knowledge that must exist before any thought process can occur, or there will exist no means for a lack of knowledge to be perceived or enacted upon to produce a Question or filled throught the use of an Answer. This Fact must therefore exist prior to any learning or perception, since both of those require Fact to function.

That's my Answer, and I'm sticking to it!! :)

My two cents.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP is confusing "an answer" with facts/truths of the universe.

OP is attempting to posit a circular line of reasoning, where there is none. An answer is the response to a question. Therefore, the question has to come first.

/thread
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    edited May 2013
    Facepaw....

I thought someone would have gotten it by now. =U.U=
    edited May 2013
    I think you would be surprised at the answer, its actualy very simple. Look back at what I wrote in my first 2 submissions....I threw in the technical phylosophy to throw you off, because of how simple of a puzzle this is.

Remember, "imagination is more important then knowledge!" The whole point to these type of riddles, is to remind people who are in an overly logical state of mind, that in order to graduate past your books, you have to also dream and see common sence through simple eyes. A gift we soon loose as we grow out of our childhood. True balance is to grab onto one line without letting go of the other!!
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The first question - the oldest question in the universe - must never be answered.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • wazzybutterballswazzybutterballs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will go with something stupid like the question because it came first in the sentence. Or infact asking what came first is actually a question. would make the question come first.
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well in this case, the question came first. ;)
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • convoy7734convoy7734 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The Question came first.

/thread

This answer is full of win and truth.
    Here are the links to prove it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_(comics) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Iverson.

And no where in your original statement did you say that you could not use outside sources, so once the correct answer was given you changed to rules to state that you wanted the answers in the thread to match your answer.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Question is always the beginning. Questions and Answers only live in the minds of sentient beings. The universe doesn't care about questions, facts, and answers. It simply exists. The pursuit of knowledge always starts off with a question. Until someone asks a question, then knowledge doesn't exist. The only possible way for answers to exist first is God. That brings up the question of did he always exist and have the answer to everything or did they have to ask questions until they became omniscient.
    edited May 2013
    The egg.

Because - if you accept evolution - there had to be a point where an animal that was almost a chicken but not quite a chicken laid an egg that hatched a chicken.

So the egg had to have come first.

Wait.

What was the question?
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What was the question?

"Doctor who?"
    w8xekp.jpg