test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Banned for talking with fleetmates about spam mail.

Comments

• graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The warning shows up in system chat, which unfortunately is a part of chat which almost everyone has disabled due to the lockbox ship spam.
    [5:25] [System] Please refrain from posting links to prohibited sites for any reason. Further violations will result in a permanent ban from the game.

So let's see, they put a 'stop or we'll ban you' message in a chat type that can be turned off and that's full of constant messages that could make it hard to notice if the constant spam hadn't already caused most people to turn it off?

This is what we call an 'epic fail'.

I would also question the accuracy of it, but I don't have enough data to do so. People here have said they were banned for 'using the name' of the seller, not for posting a link, although the difference is as subtle in this case: <evil people>.com is technically a link, whereas <evilpeople> would not be... but frequently the ".com" or whatever is treated as part of the name of it...

So the question I have is, for ye that have been banned, did you use the Top-Level-Domain as part of the name when you were talking about it, or not? (EG: .com, .net, .org, including country ones such as .ru, .co.uk, or .to, in short, whatever comes after the dot in the site's address).
  • dnaangel9dnaangel9 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    graptor wrote: »
    So the question I have is, for ye that have been banned, did you use the Top-Level-Domain as part of the name when you were talking about it, or not? (EG: .com, .net, .org, including country ones such as .ru, .co.uk, or .to, in short, whatever comes after the dot in the site's address).

No I just called it by its 5 lettered name. nothing more nothing less.

thought it was a server glitch that kept it from being posted to fleet channel so I typed it again. Server Anomaly's in STO are very common...

BranFlakes clearly stated that the filter/auto ban was working as intended. I dont think i need to point out the obvious flaw in that comment or the fact he is utterly oblivious to whats going on.
  • notorycznynotoryczny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I didn't use any www, nor .com, not anything else. In my case, I asked my fleetmate something along the lines of "was that the usual one?", and immediately after, "xxxxx?". This one did not went through. Since my system notifications show up in totally different tab along with combat log, no warning was displayed for me. I just thought it was a server hiccup, so I just up-arrowed and pressed enter. This one didn't go through too, and a second later I was disconnected and banned.

In short, it looks like I was banned because I re-configured my chat window.
    May 2013, automatic permanent ban for mentioning gold-seller sites
    pwebranflakes: this system is currently in place and working the way it should.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
    edited May 2013
    notoryczny wrote: »
    I didn't use any www, nor .com, not anything else. In my case, I asked my fleetmate something along the lines of "was that the usual one?", and immediately after, "xxxxx?". This one did not went through. Since my system notifications show up in totally different tab along with combat log, no warning was displayed for me. I just thought it was a server hiccup, so I just up-arrowed and pressed enter. This one didn't go through too, and a second later I was disconnected and banned.

In short, it looks like I was banned because I re-configured my chat window.

Looks like we are going to be waiting till Tuesday at the very least. A guy posted on another thread that he has been waiting 11 days already...
  • vorga113vorga113 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this system is currently in place and working the way it should.

So the system being a total cluster**** was done by design then?
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So let's see, they put a 'stop or we'll ban you' message in a chat type that can be turned off and that's full of constant messages that could make it hard to notice if the constant spam hadn't already caused most people to turn it off?

This is what we call an 'epic fail'.

I would also question the accuracy of it, but I don't have enough data to do so. People here have said they were banned for 'using the name' of the seller, not for posting a link, although the difference is as subtle in this case: <evil people>.com is technically a link, whereas <evilpeople> would not be... but frequently the ".com" or whatever is treated as part of the name of it...

No, you only have to use the name itself. It does not need to be a full link or url. Just using the name on its own.
    I used it, and got that warning (I only checked as I thought I'd been silenced again, and looked for the "you have been silenced" message).
    I need a beer.

• graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, you only have to use the name itself. It does not need to be a full link or url. Just using the name on its own.
    I used it, and got that warning (I only checked as I thought I'd been silenced again, and looked for the "you have been silenced" message).

So the "detailed" message is inaccurate as well as badly implemented. Lovely.
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good job cryptic :)
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it would be fair to post a blog about this "feature" so more people are made aware. I saw this post a few days ago and made my fleet and friends aware. But, something in an official capacity needs to be done. They should of also implemented a way to verify accounts are indeed spam/gold farmer accounts.

When I was heavy into City of Heroes, all gold bans were investigated by an actual GM. Automated systems have a way of being abused and wrong. This only proves another reason why our ingame chat is an archaic system. I've already advised my fleet to mainly chat in Teamspeak to avoid any risk.
    edited May 2013
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    When I was heavy into City of Heroes, all gold bans were investigated by an actual GM.

Sounds like a beautiful dream.
    moradum: I got banned for saying "I started my day with cutting off 3 MM off of the bottom of my cabinet"
  • kiarasenakiarasena Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Decided to check old forum topics to check for replies, and saw someone posted a link, when I checked the page that was linked I laughed hard.. :D

"new bot system by cryptic/pwe auto-bans innocent players for just typing the 5 letter name of the money scamming company" :eek:

Seriously that's just epic.. finally after 4-5 years they get off their lazy butts and listen to all the complaints to make a fix, and it turns out a complete failure..
    http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/crazy-monkey/crazy-monkey-emoticon-154.gif?1292792419

1, Block the website address and such from being sent through mail. (People don't really care about pm's..)
    2, Ban IP's/subnet-IP's from where the accounts are made.

Those are 2 simple/standard things.. but I'm curious, who, how, or what is the staff (thinking)? I mean how can you not know that innocent players would type the company name? Those are general things you should be thinking about.. it's like building something, you can't go slacking or it's bye bye job.

You guys add nice content, characters, clothing, ships.. so why is a simple ban program so hard? And you really should notify players on the forums about it in release notes or such, and yet you may reply "but that will alert the spam idiots".. who cares? They will find out sooner or later.. and I think they already have as tons have posted about being banned already.
    Oh and the staff needs fresh coffee or something and start unbanning innocent players, this should not take days/weeks! It's like "Oh I'm still not unbanned? Ok then no more money for Cryptic untill the ban is removed." for those who'd be paying. ;)

Ok I've had my laugh.. time to see the fun replies or the hate replies by Cryptic-lovers. :D
  • painkillerjaynepainkillerjayne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I g_u_e_s_s i_t i_s t_i_m_e t_o l_e_a_r_n a n_e_w w_a_y o_f t_y_p_i_n_g. :eek:

Oray eway ancay allay earnlay otay eakspay igpay atinlay. :P

Seriously, though...seriously?!? Makes me glad the first thing I usually do when starting STO is close the chat box.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Command Officers of the USS Wyvern (from left to right):
    Aurellia Eshkah (Tactical); Indigo Shae (Engineering); Nysiay Chysiayki (VA, Ship Captain)
    Jeclia Sek (Science); Vally Mantivour (Security)
    edited May 2013
    kiarasena wrote: »
    Ok I've had my laugh.. time to see the fun replies or the hate replies by Cryptic-lovers. :D

You may be disappointed. 100 replies and noone supported Cryptic/PWE on this one. This speaks volumes about the size of this blunder.
  • camaroguy819camaroguy819 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think im the closest thing to a defender here, like I said a few posts ago, I kinda gotta believe had this not happened during the LOR launch it would've been taken care of within hours if not minutes.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After reading this thread I sent a mail to my fleet warning them

Also, I don't belive this is a good way for stopping spam, so i'm against it. :mad:
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • supafly83supafly83 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just got banned about an hour ago.
    The exact same reasons as the thread creator.
    I put a post into a channel as we were having a discussion on not being able to delete mail and I mentioned that my inbox is full of exchange sales and spam from that certain company. Curious when my message did not appear, I posted it again to receive a message saying I had been forcefully disconnected from the server and when I tried to log back in, I was banned.

I have submitted a ticket and sent an e-mail as was suggested in page 1 of this post.

Now, I received no warning message. I was on a chat tab that I set up, in which I have deactivated all other channels except the specific one for that channel. This is very common.

I have poured a lot of time, effort and money over the years into STO. I am a lifetime member and have been around for years.

Is this how you treat your customers? Don't tell me the warnings are clear and punishment it just, because it isn't.
    If they were this thread wouldn't be 11 pages long of angry customers.
  • himble42himble42 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question: Who has system chat on in STO?

Answer: Only those who haven't figured out how to switch it off.
    Himble_zps0106667a.jpg
    edited May 2013
    The fact that they are not doing anything about it, tied with the fact they used the "Warning" apart of the System Chat, goes to show just how out of touch Cryptic/PWE is with their player base. As almost everyone has System Chat disabled. Surely a fool would of foresaw this being an issue.

I am now well into 60hours of a ban, that has yet to be resolved..

I would also like to point out that this thread is in the "GAMEPLAY BUGS" section of the forum..which is receiving NO attention from Cryptic/PWE whatsoever. yet they wonder why their companies both have "F" ratings with the Better Business Bureau.
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm reading this thread and I just send a mail to my fleet. I am utterly shocked at this. this is both disgusting AN embarassing and I think that PW need to stop using a mallet to crack a walnut. Just use the swear filter to filter the word out instead of banning people!

Take this matter up with your credit card company if you are losing money having paid PWE because of this. PWE will NOT refund you but the terms and conditions covering this are unfair especially in these circumstances, and as such, your credit card company may be able to fight this on your behalf if you can prove that you unwittingly fell for this...

If this company were based in the UK, then Trading Standards would suspend their licence and they would be torn down.

Not only are people punished because of one or 2 people in the ENTIRE COMMUNITY but the ones who felll for it are propbably reeling from the loss. And now if they on the offchance warn someone then they get their account banned??

Come on Brandon... time to convey that this decision was made hastily, reinstate these players, and tell the bosses to calm down, and make an OFFICIAL PWE response.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dnaangel9 wrote: »
    The fact that they are not doing anything about it, tied with the fact they used the "Warning" apart of the System Chat, goes to show just how out of touch Cryptic/PWE is with their player base. As almost everyone has System Chat disabled. Surely a fool would of foresaw this being an issue.

I am now well into 60hours of a ban, that has yet to be resolved..

I would also like to point out that this thread is in the "GAMEPLAY BUGS" section of the forum..which is receiving NO attention from Cryptic/PWE whatsoever. yet they wonder why their companies both have "F" ratings with the Better Business Bureau.

The excuse ofcourse, is that it's a Holiday Weekend in the United States. As such, most of the Cryptic staff apparently have all gone on holiday at the same time, resulting in fewer (if any) staff members at the office. I doubt there will be any resolution to this problem until sometime late next week.
    edited May 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    The excuse ofcourse, is that it's a Holiday Weekend in the United States. As such, most of the Cryptic staff apparently have all gone on holiday at the same time, resulting in fewer (if any) staff members at the office. I doubt there will be any resolution to this problem until sometime late next week.

In which case I would remind people that you would have to show considerate loss... if you are stilll banned after 5 days then you will likely have a valid compaint.

Be ashamed PWE... be VERY ashamed... I think an apology is in order to these loyal fans that you have treated with such contempt.
    edited May 2013
    I do wonder if we will ever get our accounts back. Sometimes I think we will all just be ignored until we give up, or get the response of too bad so sad. :(

For some reason I have this feeling I am going to be fed to the wolves.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is one of those things that you read and just have to wonder...who was dumb enough to think this was a good idea? I mean, really. This could not possibly have been thought through.
    edited May 2013
    hravik wrote: »
    This is one of those things that you read and just have to wonder...who was dumb enough to think this was a good idea? I mean, really. This could not possibly have been thought through.

Power corrupts... thing is people are beginning to think that these people who have decided it have power and it has gone to their heads... as I said... mallet to crack a walnut... over the top power crazy programmer somewhere no doubt. Not just in STO but across cryptic games I'd wager...
  • eviaxeviax Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First of all I hope all innocent players gets unban ASAP.
    Feel really sad.

2nd: Srry but this is unacteptable for just typing name and gets ban.So u guys working for goldsellers(I mean Cryptic/PWE) Because why? Players can't warn eachother for spammers with this ban rules.U say we r warning before ban with chat.So what about some chat settings are disabled (system etc etc) ?

U have to ban goldsellers IP ban first. Just cut off player's heads for only typing not solution and wrong way.

I know there is many MMO has same problem with goldsellers and they can't do anything because they r creating new accounts at seconds or they r threat to game with some reasons.
    But its fact this problem is game developers/companies problem.It's not players problem. U have to ban players with proof buy gold from goldsellers.Put ur side to customers to just typing then ban and what u feel about that.And this is could using for different ways on wrong hands.U have to giving advantage to some bad persons in game.

Last words there is never solution mass ban at MMOs.Some of them tried that before and they r all died or never could be good as before.

Srry for my English.

Best regards,
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BRB, creating EC-selling company called "Noobs in Elite STFs".
  • qemistgaiqemistgai Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eviax wrote: »
    First of all I hope all innocent players gets unban ASAP.
    Feel really sad.

2nd: Srry but this is unacteptable for just typing name and gets ban.So u guys working for goldsellers(I mean Cryptic/PWE) Because why? Players can't warn eachother for spammers with this ban rules.U say we r warning before ban with chat.So what about some chat settings are disabled (system etc etc) ?

U have to ban goldsellers IP ban first. Just cut off player's heads for only typing not solution and wrong way.

I know there is many MMO has same problem with goldsellers and they can't do anything because they r creating new accounts at seconds or they r threat to game with some reasons.
    But its fact this problem is game developers/companies problem.It's not players problem. U have to ban players with proof buy gold from goldsellers.Put ur side to customers to just typing then ban and what u feel about that.And this is could using for different ways on wrong hands.U have to giving advantage to some bad persons in game.

Last words there is never solution mass ban at MMOs.Some of them tried that before and they r all died or never could be good as before.

Srry for my English.

Best regards,

You clearly don't know much about IT, Banning an IP solves nothing, they already ban most Korean, Chinease & Japanese IP's big problem for a lot of our members, Granted you can get added to a white list, But I don't think this is something Gold farmers endeavor to do.

However what they do is proxy, and you can run in hoops trying to grab them all until you start banning sub-nets, and when you start doing that when they proxy eastern EU ip's and American east & midwest IP's a lot of innocent people will get hit,

TLDR: There is no SIMPLY no, just do that fix to this problem, and with any automated defense turret collateral damage happens, Sure it sucks and if it was me I'd probably be writing a very different post, But come on people they have to do something.

-Awok
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join the premiere Romulan community now! - Please Cryptic fix your forums So i can Use Png blank spaces
    edited May 2013
    qemistgai wrote: »
    You clearly don't know much about IT, Banning an IP solves nothing, they already ban most Korean, Chinease & Japanese IP's big problem for a lot of our members, Granted you can get added to a white list, But I don't think this is something Gold farmers endeavor to do.

However what they do is proxy, and you can run in hoops trying to grab them all until you start banning sub-nets, and when you start doing that when they proxy eastern EU ip's and American east & midwest IP's a lot of innocent people will get hit,

TLDR: There is no SIMPLY no, just do that fix to this problem, and with any automated defense turret collateral damage happens, Sure it sucks and if it was me I'd probably be writing a very different post, But come on people they have to do something.

-Awok

You could use something similar to Ironport. while it is not foolproof it works quite well considering.

EDIT: And yes, say they did exactly the same steps. If they had of displayed the warning message as coming from the Admin channel, which can't be turned off like system channel in options, this would have effected a lot less innocent people.

Most people set up chat tabs as to avoid all the rubbish or being a member of 10 different channels displaying all at once, when you want to focus on, for example, doffjobs or elitestf callouts.
    If they didn't want us to remove the system channel, then it shouldn't have been an option.

Also a lot of this thread is less about what the have done, and more about what they are going to do next.
    If they tell all the innocents banned to get lost and deal with it, that is unacceptable.
  • stargazerjmbstargazerjmb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    supafly83 wrote: »
    You could use something similar to Ironport. while it is not foolproof it works quite well considering.

EDIT: And yes, say they did exactly the same steps. If they had of displayed the warning message as coming from the Admin channel, which can't be turned off like system channel in options, this would have effected a lot less innocent people.

Most people set up chat tabs as to avoid all the rubbish or being a member of 10 different channels displaying all at once, when you want to focus on, for example, doffjobs or elitestf callouts.
    If they didn't want us to remove the system channel, then it shouldn't have been an option.

Also a lot of this thread is less about what the have done, and more about what they are going to do next.
    If they tell all the innocents banned to get lost and deal with it, that is unacceptable.
    I agree completely. It is unacceptable for a system that can result in a ban to be completely auto-mated the way it currently is without being absolutely watertight. I remember when the first system messages were flying around letting you know that every Tom, **** and Harry were "apparently" winning lock box ships so I tried sending a tell to the lucky players to congratulate them. Interesting though that of the approximately 50 players I tried to contact, only about 2 or 3 messages were successful, all the others returned a message saying, "player not found" or something similar. Apparently the first thing most people do when they win a lock box ship is to log-off. Strange isn't it? But I digress.
  • stargazerjmbstargazerjmb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another short name for Richard is banned now? ROFL, hope there aren't too many Richards in the game or people might get banned for talking to them. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.