test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Get it together PWE, no, seriously

rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
In the last two weeks (even before the LOR release) the servers have degraded during day/prime time to the point where the only time anyone can even play is in the dead of the night in the US.

Its fricken memorial day weekend, one of the best and last times before the kids get out of school for the summer to get some play time in.

Stop being silent and diplomatic about this, get on here and explain to us what the heck the deal is. Especially to your PAYING customers. This is atrocious. I have played over a dozen MMOs in my lifetime, and this last fortnight worth of server slowdowns, crashes, queues, emergency maintenances that made the problems worse, tops even SOE and EA's penchant to blunder and deliver a shoddy CS/Technical support experience.

And here we are again for the fifth day in a row the servers are shot at prime time. Get it together. You are risking losing a LOT of paying subscribers. More to the point, I am considering going back to LOTRO or finding another game full stop. At least they can keep their servers running.
Gold.jpg
Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    scazzzascazzza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most likely they repurposed a bunch of their servers and moved them to the Neverwinter clusters...
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOTRO is able to keep its servers up because of its abysmal numbers, I remember playing it back in the old days when it was still fresh, barely anyone on there because the movie glamour wore off.

EVERY MMO with a recent expansion has problems the first week, not one MMO to my knowledge has been exempt. from the old days of Everquest to WoW not one expansion launch goes as intended, on the launch of WoW's BC half of their servers crashed, and only 10 were operational not to mention full, second day they were all back up, but failing miserably with glitches and a hell of a lot of connectivity problems. and hell their biggest forum complaint wasn't the launch problems, it was the fact blood elves were horde instead of alliance.

STO honestly for it's first expansion has been going well, very well. and as a result STO may be gaining new life blood to extend it further. Though keep this in mind, they are doing their job, they don't have to tell you anything that's going on, hell maybe they are trying to figure that out and fix it themselves.
  • Options
    panicswitchedpanicswitched Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They launched 2 major items in 2 weeks (Neverwinter and Legacy of Romulus). I'm not surprised, but I don't think they expected Neverwinter to be as popular as it is and that Legacy of Romulus would draw so many people back.

It sucks...and I'm not too thrilled either, but I'm willing to cut them some slack...but yea they do really need to improve their capacity planning.
  • Options
    mn03mn03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pentium 1 is old skool, please upgrade to the latest Xeon processor.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They don't no the meaning of customer service,,,,,,,,,when you haven't got to deal with customers face to face you can fob them off with any old excuse but this lot just keep you in the dark which makes people even madder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont know, some of you are missing the point, a few of my fleet friends play neverwinter...

Not once have they had downtime, they dont get kicked from servers on a regular basis, no queues have had to be made when going into that game.

It seems Neverwinter will always take number 1 spot, while STO is given the lowest of low server time...

They are still using Intel servers, when they should be using AMD!

Lets face it the fastest super computer in the world is using AMD tech...

However let us not miss the fact that Neverwinter, seems to have much better servers then STO ever will...

Another reason why I stopped my gold, and I will NEVER buy a lifer. Whats the point if 2 thirds of the time, when the servers will be down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i'll keep it short and sweet. no one really reads my walls of text anyway.

cryptic has no regard for building relationships with their customers. for them it's all about the one off transactions. the wham, bam, thank you ma'am. I could rattle off example after example, but I promised no wall of text.

each one of their business choices to date has been to increase their short term revenue all the while neglecting or even discouraging long term relationship building. I.e. what happened with the vet rewards, the consistent neglect and suppression of the kdf faction's population, etc.

sucks to be us.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xsharpex wrote: »
    i'll keep it short and sweet. no one really reads my walls of text anyway.

cryptic has no regard for building relationships with their customers. for them it's all about the one off transactions. the wham, bam, thank you ma'am. I could rattle off example after example, but I promised no wall of text.

each one of their business choices to date has been to increase their short term revenue all the while neglecting or even discouraging long term relationship building. I.e. what happened with the vet rewards, the consistent neglect and suppression of the kdf faction's population, etc.

sucks to be us.

I disagree, the STO Team has gone out of their way many times to interact with the community. And they do get feedback indirectly on their personal accounts and listening to the feedback of everyone.

As for business choices, I have to agree that the last few days have left me concerned that STO is heading, from making a profit off accoladers or with the recent mail-attachement nerf. But I'm guessing that is more Perfect World than Cryptic.

With things like Vet Rewards and the KDF, they simply didn't have the manpower to work on that with the schedule they had. But things do seem smoother since they added more people to the team after PW took over.
  • Options
    revalahrevalah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    I dont know, some of you are missing the point, a few of my fleet friends play neverwinter...

Not once have they had downtime, they dont get kicked from servers on a regular basis, no queues have had to be made when going into that game.

It seems Neverwinter will always take number 1 spot, while STO is given the lowest of low server time...

They are still using Intel servers, when they should be using AMD!

Lets face it the fastest super computer in the world is using AMD tech...

However let us not miss the fact that Neverwinter, seems to have much better servers then STO ever will...

Another reason why I stopped my gold, and I will NEVER buy a lifer. Whats the point if 2 thirds of the time, when the servers will be down.

Its very easy for never-winter to have a nice stable server when NO-ONES PLAYING THE GAME. There was a queue of 12000 people waiting to play when the servers went down a few hours ago on STO. 2170 of them were gold members, I know as I was in the end of THAT queue.

And seriously, 2/3s of the time? My 3 year old nephew is better at exaggerating and whining than you.

In reality this has been a pretty smooth launch considering they rebuilt the engine from the ground up. I dont think they expected the wave of interest they have had on the Romulans.

Seriously, some STO players (Hi Klingons and tacticals) have to be the whinyest bunch of crybabies I have ever seen. Thank goodness I spend my time just enjoying the game. This is MILES better than Eve online. Now THAT had lag and node crashing 7 days a week.
  • Options
    trc615trc615 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with everything the thread creator said. I can't even go past the loading screen with the LOR logo on it. This is bloody ridiculous.
  • Options
    wolf3130wolf3130 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Neverwinter deserves the number one spot, as STO has by far the whiniest player-base of any MMO, and that's saying a lot. Aside from the recent server problems, we have people complaining about the following: transwarp function ruining "immersion", RPers can't find good places to RP, different factions being able to purchase/use the same ships ruining "immersion", other players using party poppers, "stubble" on Romulan characters, the difficulties of getting a JHAS (followed by shameless begging), and a whole laundry list of "canon/non-canon" complaints. The GMs must have to pop near-overdose levels of ibuprofen every night after cycling through some of these threads. So you PAYING customers that are PAYING for the game and continually pull that card in your whiny, demanding posts, just go somewhere else. We all know you won't. When the servers come back up, we both know where you'll be.

realy you must be new to the mmo world beggers and whinners are in every mmo on official and privet servers and i bet neverwinter has 10X the beggers that sto has and honestly i love it when ever some one has a complaint lamers have to brand then whinners
    but then i gues it takes one to know one huh.
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I disagree, the STO Team has gone out of their way many times to interact with the community. And they do get feedback indirectly on their personal accounts and listening to the feedback of everyone.

As for business choices, I have to agree that the last few days have left me concerned that STO is heading, from making a profit off accoladers or with the recent mail-attachement nerf. But I'm guessing that is more Perfect World than Cryptic.

With things like Vet Rewards and the KDF, they simply didn't have the manpower to work on that with the schedule they had. But things do seem smoother since they added more people to the team after PW took over.

you misunderstand my use of the word "relationship" -- whereas I mean in terms of a long lasting, repeat business type of relationship. in terms of listening to feedback, it's pretty much hit or miss. sometimes they do a good job, other times not so much. but then again, it's impossible to please everyone.

overall, from my experience, the way in which they have treated the community in general is worrisome.

when I refer to the veteran rewards, I meant in terms of how they allowed everyone regardless of when they bought their subscriptions to partake in all the said benefits. turning their backs on all those who stuck it out since the beginning. granted, they needed to add "value" to the LTS since this game became F2P, but overall, I think that they mishandled the situation.

in regards to the kdf situation, sure they might not have the man power to create all the content that they want to for it. however, they have blatantly stated that it wasn't cost effective to produce c-store ships for the kdf faction. granted, we only make up "18%" of the population, but they were basing that assumption off the sales of the bortasque pack. it is apparent that they would prefer as many people as possible to linger towards the federation side, since it has the most content and the most c-store content.

overall, before I start ranting for real here, cryptic has had many chances to foster quality business relationships with the consumer base. time and time again, they have chosen to go for the one-off business transaction. i'm utterly surprised no one has even raised a fuss about how respect tokens have been split into three separate transactions. 3 dollars for a reputation respect, 3 dollars for a skills respect and 3 dollars for a trait respect, when it should have been 3 or maybe even 5 dollars for all 3. how can anyone really justify that?
  • Options
    saborethsaboreth Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every MMO forum I have ever seen has been jam packed with poisonous people venting hate and bitterness and OMG SINISTER EVIL NASTY GREEDY COMPANY __________ OMG EVIL EVIL EVIL I CANT BELIEVE _________ GETS AWAY WITH IT !!!1!1!!!!!11!!ELEVENTY!!!

Or something.

This is the most ambitious expansion they've ever done. The Seasons are just fine for updates but this is -huge-. THe game has changed dramatically in just the two years I've been here and although no MMO is perfect, the game has only improved. Now, your mileage may vary. that's fine. But this is not an Evil Shadowrun Corporation stealing babies and draining them like Capri Suns. From what I saw over just one spacedock instance last night, which was jam packed with more ships than I have -ever- seen over spacedock of every design and level you can imagine, they're not huritng right now. If you don't have the time or patience to ride out the growing pains of the new expansion, how tragic. It might be a while yet before things are totally smooth, but IMHO (again, your mileage will clearly vary)it's worth the wait. I've been a gold for two years and I'm seriously considering a lifeetime sub in spite of all the poison and vitriol we might find aroudn these forums. Believe it or not, there are tons of people who are absolutely thrilled with the game right now. Sure, the spontaneous downtimes can be inconvenient, but it's also a great reminder to oh, read a book, talk to someone on the phone, get a bite to eat, hang with friends.

This game is not the center of the universe. Let's not panic because they're ironing it out.
  • Options
    talzerotwotalzerotwo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    saboreth wrote: »
    Every MMO forum I have ever seen has been jam packed with poisonous people venting hate and bitterness and OMG SINISTER EVIL NASTY GREEDY COMPANY __________ OMG EVIL EVIL EVIL I CANT BELIEVE _________ GETS AWAY WITH IT !!!1!1!!!!!11!!ELEVENTY!!!

Or something.

This is the most ambitious expansion they've ever done. The Seasons are just fine for updates but this is -huge-. THe game has changed dramatically in just the two years I've been here and although no MMO is perfect, the game has only improved. Now, your mileage may vary. that's fine. But this is not an Evil Shadowrun Corporation stealing babies and draining them like Capri Suns. From what I saw over just one spacedock instance last night, which was jam packed with more ships than I have -ever- seen over spacedock of every design and level you can imagine, they're not huritng right now. If you don't have the time or patience to ride out the growing pains of the new expansion, how tragic. It might be a while yet before things are totally smooth, but IMHO (again, your mileage will clearly vary)it's worth the wait. I've been a gold for two years and I'm seriously considering a lifeetime sub in spite of all the poison and vitriol we might find aroudn these forums. Believe it or not, there are tons of people who are absolutely thrilled with the game right now. Sure, the spontaneous downtimes can be inconvenient, but it's also a great reminder to oh, read a book, talk to someone on the phone, get a bite to eat, hang with friends.

This game is not the center of the universe. Let's not panic because they're ironing it out.

This isn't poison or vitriol, but you should hold off on buying that Lifetime Sub. I got mine when it was first offered, but since the LoR expansion, myself and several others haven't been able to log in. If anything wait a month and see how things progress.
    [SIGPIC]http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5[/SIGPIC]
    Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
    Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
  • Options
    dragon47dragon47 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »

Your friends are feeding you a line of TRIBBLE. When NW went Open Beta, there was a downtime of 1-2 hours nearly every night, with a few of them going 4+ hours. During prime time US hours, there were indeed queues. Just last week, there was an emergency downtime of around 9-10 hours for the AH/AD exploit that started at 9PM Central Time. In the first couple of weeks, people were getting kicked out of the servers. It's lightened up considerably over the past week, but there are still problems.

Hmm...that sounds awfully familiar...