test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player Opinions on the VO added in LoR

daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
This was a response in the announcement thread for the Massively Interview of Dan Stahl.

Thought I'd use it to get a little feedback from the community.

Terilynn Shull @Massively
We've noticed a lot of voice-over work contained in the Legacy of Romulus content, and it certainly seems to add flavor to the content. Are there any wishes or plans to go back and add some voice work to the Klingon and Federation factions?

Daniel Stahl
Legacy of Romulus represents the most VO work we've ever done for an update, but as you point out, it makes us wish we could go back and add VO to all the other missions. Eventually we'll get there, but we will wait and see how the VO is received in the expansion before we make that call.

Can I just say here, that the *VOID* of voice over is now glaringly obvious, and the Fed side actually seems dead now... I know it will be a *huge* undertaking, and likely not a cheap one.. but day-um... it's really needed now.

I remember back in closed beta, pre-launch of the game.. players were given the ability to choose from a list of voices for their captains, but was taken out.. due to, I assume, the limited number of choices. I hope that if more V.O. can be worked into game, these can also be returned.

As an aside... I would be willing to voice anything... I am a nobody, and would not need payment (unless you could be convinced to drop some dilithium or lobi into my account.. <grin>) and I'm sure there are those in the player-base that would be willing to offer the same. I don't know how reasonable that is... but there's the offer.

Jolan'tru
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really liked the new Voice Overs. Only bad thing is that there wasn't more.

Well that and Jarod sounded funny. :P
  • Options
    ussnighthawkussnighthawk Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The VOs are among my favorite parts of the new content. They seem much better quality than they used to be, as well (there's still some rough spots, but overall they're better). Like said above, I know it'd be a massive undertaking and cost a lot in time and money, but I'd love to see this game be mostly, if not fully, voiced. I never found it that big of a deal, even while playing another sci-fi MMO, but here where some stuff is voiced and some isn't, it really kills immersion and takes some of the "life" out of the game when you run into those instances where there's no VO.

I know there's another thread or 20 to say this in, but I'll just say it here. I'm thoroughly impressed with the expansion; the Rommie stuff in particular. Definitely surprised me as I'd pretty much lost confidence in Cryptic being able to make this game as good as it should be. I'm excited to play STO again. Good work Cryptic! :)

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm finding voice-overs more and more appealing, in general. I'd definitely love to have as much of the game voiced as we can get.
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The extra VO's do little to nothing for me .
    Denise Crosby is fine for what it is , but after 3 years of mostly silence , I've gotten used to it and I seem to humor most of the VO's -- some of which pop off at a bad time .

"WE MUST FIGHT THE TAL SHIAR !" -- in the middle of me reading a wall of text . Yeah , thanks 4 sharing ... .

As to the costs involved ... -- if it's that or a new STF ... or other more beefy end game content , you don't even have to ask where my vote goes .
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Denise Crosby stuff is amazing

Tovan is annoying
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    The Denise Crosby stuff is amazing

Tovan is annoying

I have no argument for what others feel is amazing, or annoying.. What I'm wondering with this thread is.. does the rest of the game, being so "silent", seem strange now? Should they, in "our" opinion, do the work to fill out the rest of the game with, even simple, VO?

As has already been suggested, NO, it should not take the place of other updates, or improvements, or bug fixes... That, I would think, would be obvious. But working a bit of VO into a few missions each update, would slowly get it filled out, no?

Finally, I know I mentioned costs for V.O. actors.. with as many "everyman" types in this game, could the Cryptic employees not do some of the V.O.? Could players, honestly, volunteer to do some of the V.O.? As I joked initially.. I would volunteer for such a thing, and not expect payment. (not even Dilithium or Lobi.. lol)

I think it would be awesome to just hear my voice in game.. and know that I helped make the game "better". I think there are probably a lot of players here that would do the same..

Jolan'tru
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm used to both. Voice is really nice to have, and I hope they continue to include it with new content [it is one of the few things that Cryptic designed content has over Foundry]. I don't feel that they really need to look at adding VO to existing content however. If they're doing a revamp anyway, sure, but it's really not a big bother to me for silent missions.
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It added something, felt a bit more Trekky.
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haven't heard all of them yet, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. The VOs in Neverwinter were, on the whole, of lower quality than even the pre-LoR STO voiceovers, so I really wasn't expecting much with this update. Cryptic doesn't have a great rep for voice talent recruitment and direction in my book, but after hearing the voicework for the Romulan intro cutscene, I'm willing to reconsider my opinion.

It's nice to finally hear some voice actors putting real feeling into their readings without overacting. Hope this trend continues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't made a Romulan yet, so I wouldn't know. But voice over work is something that I've always thought was missing from this game. Star Trek has always been about dialog and people interacting with each other, so it is a big part of the franchise that's been missing.

Should it be it's own season? No. But it should be a part of every season though. (or whatever the heck they're calling them now)
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think they need to go SWToR-levels of voice, but it's nice to have, especially during the Romulan introduction missions. The KDF ones... well, nice to have, but people are really trying too hard to sound Klingon. Doesn't quite sound right.

Still, even with that, I like the addition. Adds a little more personality to the NPCs. Though I agree, sometimes having "catchphrases" repeated by characters can get tiresome.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daemonheld wrote: »
    I have no argument for what others feel is amazing, or annoying.. What I'm wondering withFinally, I know I mentioned costs for V.O. actors.. with as many "everyman" types in this game, could the Cryptic employees not do some of the V.O.? Could players, honestly, volunteer to do some of the V.O.? As I joked initially.. I would volunteer for such a thing, and not expect payment. (not even Dilithium or Lobi.. lol)

I think it would be awesome to just hear my voice in game.. and know that I helped make the game "better". I think there are probably a lot of players here that would do the same..

Jolan'tru

Ugh, no thank you. Know what happens when you skimp on voice acting? You get this. :eek:
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Only thing I really want is player character voice options.

Doesn't need to be that expanded even, basic means to actually give your character a voice, like many other MMO's have.
    STO%20Sig.png~original