test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a concise analasis of lifetime subscription

rickylesterrickylester Member Posts: 0 Arc User
this is my opinion and analysis on the lifeitme subscription in it we will categorise all the perks into 2 categorys
trinkets: something that other account types cna get regardless of conditions or doesnt provide any actual gameplay differances
and features: something unique and/or tailored to this account type.

alrighty first off the obvious the liberated borg race while strictly speaking this fits into the features category already defined we already have the ability to purchase new playable races and to be quite honest the joined trill gives just as much benefit as this race and at a fraction of the price i have played both and there isnt really much differance between the two outside of aesthetics so personally this is more of a extravagant trinket

captains table serves no ACTUAL purpose and rarely actually used and is basically a poorly fittred version of each facitons station anyway so same as borg race BUT this si tailored and isnt really mirrored in c store so minor feature/perk

exclusive costume options... purely aesthetic so while nifty im classifying this as a trinket:

career officer title... sames as costumes except even more useless

forum goodies... probably even more worthless than the title

all veteran rewards... really thsi si the same as no repeated fee this si a natural result of a LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION so natural trait.

liberated borg: extravagent trinket/small feature/minor perk

no repeated fee: its lifetime >.> im classifying this as a natural trait aka WORTHLESS

captains table: minor feature/perk

exclusive costume options: uncommon trinket

career officer title: common trinket

forum goodies: common trinket

all veteran rewards: natural trait

no repeated fee: natural trait

SO add to this that we also have to pay life 200 pounds for the new expansion ... thats like 450 pounds for... well trinkets... personally i think the romulan expansion would be a perfect featured perk for lifetime and personally i think they should assign specfic pieces form the c store as free for lifetime TRIBBLE well that would give them a minor perk uncommon quality perk and a featured perk to entice people to go lifetime.

give comments below and i skipped over default gold account benefits because those are also natural traits for lifetime
Post edited by rickylester on

Comments

• wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do not have to pay anything.........enjoy your game.
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SO add to this that we also have to pay life 200 pounds for the new expansion ... thats like 450 pounds for... well trinkets...
    The Expansion is 100% free. You don't need to buy either the Starter or Legacy Pack do play it. You get free ships and races from T1 to T5 just as you do for the Feds and KDf.

Beyond that, most of life is about spending money on "trinkets." Whether or not the trinkets matter is subjective to the person buying them. For some the LTS is a nice trinket. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The lifetime subscription is merely a relic from the past. It was worth it when it came out, but now it is not. Many people that bought the lifetime subscription before F2P wouldn't even bother with it since the main reason no longer exists. Paying $240 for a lifetime subscription was cheaper in the long run than paying $15 per month if the player stated for 2 or 3 years.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited May 2013
    you forgot to mention the 500 free zen you get per month that would add up to all of the ships you wanted for free over time.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • phyloephyloe Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lifetime memberships equate to having a perpetual subscription with all the benefits that entails. Many of the benefits are simply perks which add value to the package. Almost all of the items in the packs are available individually for Zen, of which subscribers get a stipend. Therefore, all of those items can eventually be purchased with the Zen provided as part of the sub or lifetime sub. As for the expansion, there is no cost associated with it unless the player chooses to invest in new items or content available with the expansion.
  • stonermkiistonermkii Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It never ceases to amaze me how pissed off some people get over what complete strangers choose to spend their money on.

Welcome to online gaming man. People will forever get their panties in a wad over what i choose to spend my hard-earned money on.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The major benefit I see is the free Zen. Yes you can get Zen by grinding for Dilithium, but over time that's a lot of grinding for 500 Zen/month. With Lifetime, you get Zen whether you play or not. Don't play for months at a time? Come back to find 1000s of Zen waiting for you. I find that really appealing.

For this reason I'm strongly tempted to take advantage of the current LTS sale.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You listing is lacking the normal subscription Perks, such as ...
    • Account Bank
    • 'Gold' priority during login queues.
    • Increased Bank & Personal Inventory slots
    • Respec tokens on Rank Up
    • Additional BO Slots
    • Additional Character slot (from Vet Rewards)
    • Chimera class ship (from Vet Rewards)
    • Android BO (from Vet Rewards)
    And to be honest, how many new STO members will want to wait 600 days of subbing for the high end Vet Rewards...
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not only does the LTS cover the Net Present Value of more than two years' worth of sub fees, it also represents an option (as in financial option) to play as a subscriber at anytime while the game exists. Options have some non-zero financial value.

Whether it is 'worth it' remains subjective. But there is a definite 'value' to it in $ terms.

And so far I've waited a total of about 6 minutes in LoR queues. :)
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You also forgot about the "dancing monkey" I'd pay $200 for that!;)
  • homebaseworkhomebasework Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Home based internet job. Salary 45000 p/m
    Today everyone wants to earn money from every single source of income that is available to us. All you have to do is visit our site homebasework.in. This is the ultimate key to your Success. Home based data entry jobs are such opportunity to earn money in your free time. People are always in search of various other sources of income because only one income source is not enough. These data entry jobs help people to earn and raise their standard of living.
    Every one of us searches for other sources of income like a part time job online so that we can earn in our free time. Home based data entry jobs are easy to do and legitimate as well. Home based data entry jobs are fair and easy way to earn money online, these jobs can be done by anyone who can use keyboard efficiently.
    There are many steps to be taken to work online! Work with homebasework.in. And don't settle for just a job, work for yourself. Follow the path that will make you wealthy! Work for yourself, but not by yourself. Be your own boss.
    You can ask anyone that is successful and they will tell you that you will never become rich working for someone else.
    I am a successful internet businessman, working from home, happy to be part of this industry and proud to have helped so many people reach their goals!
    What can I do start you might say?
    The first step is to change the way you think about yourself, take control your life, and be positive!
    When people ask "how I became rich" it brings a smile to my face and millions of thanks to homebasework.in I remember thinking (when I was poor) I have to do something, take action, and I did... very successfully!
    The only person that can change your life around is you!
    You have the power right now to decide to make the changes in your life that will lead you down the road to success. The internet has opened up a world of opportunities. To run an internet business is not a far-fetched idea. The internet has made more people into millionaires than the industrialization of the western world!
    A part time business from home can be the first step to success.
    Many people who started off working part time, moved on to a full time career in a very short time!
    If you are looking to become a millionaire overnight, then forget that right now! Yes a few had done very well for themselves, but most of us have to work a bit harder to get there!
    I was lucky! I picked homebasework.in the right web based business (eventually after a few months) with full support in place and when I mean full support, I mean virtually leading you by the hand every step of the way until I started to make my first buck!!
    It's not difficult, but takes time, and you have to be patient! It may take a couple of months, it may take a year but stick at it, do not give up.
    You are going to have to work! You may not work the way you are used to working, you may not have to work from nine to five but a new venture requires a bit of elbow grease to get things going. Be prepared to nurture your new endeavor and put the hours in (homebasework.in) our website.
    edited May 2013
    Home based internet job. Salary 45000 p/m...
    Where is the "Hey Mods" button to report f-tards like this guy?
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Home based internet job. Salary 45000^SNIP^.

WTF does any of your prattle have to do with this topic?Learn how to post on a forum, before bragging about your internet road to weath ...LOL.
  • sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It never ceases to amaze me how pissed off some people get over what complete strangers choose to spend their money on.

I view most of these freebs complaints on the boards as a symptom of the decline in Western society as the "entitled" generations continue to grow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    naevius wrote: »
    Not only does the LTS cover the Net Present Value of more than two years' worth of sub fees, it also represents an option (as in financial option) to play as a subscriber at anytime while the game exists. Options have some non-zero financial value.

Whether it is 'worth it' remains subjective. But there is a definite 'value' to it in $ terms.

And so far I've waited a total of about 6 minutes in LoR queues. :)

Exactly what he said..the perks are well worth it....and my queues have been less than 3 minutes, and not really even that, the box shows up...then goes away and i'm in the game.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Exactly. Thread can now be closed.
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love my lifetime. I took a long time off STO while I waited for the expansion.

I patch up, miss the queue, have a bunch of vet rewards and goodies from the last 3 years and a war chest of zen to do what I want with.

Bought it three years ago, it paid itself off after 16 months, now with the stipend it's paying me to play.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • sauron90805sauron90805 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh...anyone can arbitrarily decide values to ensure their findings support a conclusion they have pre-determined. its poor argument skills like this that make me shake my head in disdain. The lifetime sub was a good deal early on, it meant that if the game lasted more than 17 months the amount paid for the sub grew ever smaller as a proportion of additional months spent playing the game. This means my effective monthly sub over the last 3 years has been $7 a month, once it went free to play my zen stipend equates to $5.00 a month in value. This means that in another 2 years Cryptic will be paying me to play their game.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    give comments below and i skipped over default gold account benefits because those are also natural traits for lifetime

So, you excluded all the benefits of a LTS, and concluded it wasn't worth it. That form of analysis would give the same result for anything. Case in point:

Being Alive isn't worth it.

You get sick
    You have to deal with TRIBBLE
    People are mean to you
    You can get hurt
    You have to eat
    Being alive costs a lot of money
    Its a lot of hard work

I'm going to exclude things like love and fun and happiness, because these are all default perks of being alive.

I have now proved that being alive isn't worth it using OPs methodology.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Concise or biased? Cause this thread is really slanted towards the "anti-LTS" people.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • johocroljohocrol Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is my opinion and analysis on the lifeitme subscription in it we will categorise all the perks into 2 categorys
    trinkets: something that other account types cna get regardless of conditions or doesnt provide any actual gameplay differances
    and features: something unique and/or tailored to this account type.

Buy a dictionary. This is not concise, but is incomprehensible drivel.

The little dot on your keyboard serves a purpose.
    edited May 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    You've convinced me that being undead is better than being alive, too.
    All the brains you eat. Braaaaaaaains!
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the OP: The biggest benefits of Life Time sub are these: You do not have to continue to pay but get all the perks of being Gold + the Liberated Borg which can be very potent. So you get the stipend, bank slots, inventory, front of the que, ship tokens, dilithium refining, more EC you can hold, full support, full chat, etc...

You also get all the Vet rewards which is no small thing.

EXP boost for you and your team mates, a Free shuttle (not a bad one either), a free SHIP (A very powerful one for the KDF and a pretty strong one for the Fed easily a 25 dollar ship), Costumes, Ship Materials and Paint Schemes, a Pet (yeah... Whatever), lots of Retrain Tokens, an Android BOFF (Great on the Ground), etc...

The Legacy of Romulus Pack is already a discount of its own. As a Lifer you can save up your Stipend to buy any of the ships or things in it via the Zen but as far as getting more free stuff it is just not a part of the deal. As a lifer you already get a Free Shuttle and Ship. I see no reason why you would get the LoR pack for free or more discounted than it is.

Basically if you intend to play the game for a long time with many characters go Lifer (especially if you want the ships and BOFF). If you want to play the game for a relatively short time or with fewer characters then Gold is fine. If you can handle being Silver and do not want the perks of Gold or Life then just stay Silver and buy only what you need.
  • byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can understand people that buy a LTS
    I can understand why people pay the monthly sub
    and also the people who like me, don't subscribe but may buy zen every once in a while, maybe once a year to feel like you support the game and maybe buy something shiny.
    and also ok with the people who never spend a penny on the game

what I dont get are the people I know exist that literally poor hundreds of $ into this game, this game model is setup to make it easy for people to put so much into the game. You can spend nothing or you can spend thousands.

I mean you buy a LTS buy a legacy pack for $130 and buy $100-$200+ of zen to spend on keys to get the fancy new lock box ships and other fluff.

the great thing about FTP models is it doesn't need to cost you anything but the curse is that if you can't control your spending you can dump a significant amount of cash into the game.