test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

@Devs ~ FED/KDF Romulan Uniforms

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Hey Devs, I have a request that I would like to run by you; hopefully one that you'll approve of, and implement.

After we've chosen our allegiance, we're given a costume set for our characters. Said costume set is based upon the specific faction that you've just chosen to align with. That's all cool, however;

Would it be possible to allow our FED-ROM Boffs to wear the FED-ROM uniform, and our KDF-ROM Boffs to wear the KDF-ROM Uniform? It just gives them a little more variety and uniqueness, especially as they're now part of a Romulan crew (regardless of the fact they're probably working with us for diplomatic relations).

I'd think this to be a nice touch. Saves me (and others) from having an Andorian Officer serving on my ship with a pure Starfleet Uniform on. Least with the FED-ROM uniform, it would show both sides of the alliance.

How about it guys?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    Hey Devs, I have a request that I would like to run by you; hopefully one that you'll approve of, and implement.

After we've chosen our allegiance, we're given a costume set for our characters. Said costume set is based upon the specific faction that you've just chosen to align with. That's all cool, however;

Would it be possible to allow our FED-ROM Boffs to wear the FED-ROM uniform, and our KDF-ROM Boffs to wear the KDF-ROM Uniform? It just gives them a little more variety and uniqueness, especially as they're now part of a Romulan crew (regardless of the fact they're probably working with us for diplomatic relations).

I'd think this to be a nice touch. Saves me (and others) from having an Andorian Officer serving on my ship with a pure Starfleet Uniform on. Least with the FED-ROM uniform, it would show both sides of the alliance.

How about it guys?

I kinda think this would make sense in a weird way as a T5 Diplomacy/Marauding award.

And in turn, Klingons should get a T5 Marauding costume because Feds get a T5 Diplomacy costume.

But I think DOff rewards need a once over.

And personally, I'd make all DOff categories Reputations and all Reputations into DOff categories and fold the two systems together.

So any DOff category could be completed over around 60 days through reputation projects. And any reputation could be completed through DOffing.

I suspect DOffs are something players have tended to forget about or not notice.

So I'd look at folding the two together without eliminating either progression path. You can then progress through any rep faster by using DOffs. And you could have a guaranteed slow path by just using projects.

I think part of what I'd do there though is to adjust all DOff projects to take 10 hours or less and adjust rewards accordingly.

And turn all DOff rewards into rep projects.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What irks me most about the whole Rommie uniform situation is that you still can't customize embassy boffs.

Even if you're a Romulan captain.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited May 2013

How about it guys?
    I have my BOffs wearing the Fed Rom (or KDF Rom with my Reman) uniform, so it's already allowed. You might just need to change the individual components to the uniform to be Romulan Fed or Romulan KDF.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have my BOffs wearing the Fed Rom (or KDF Rom with my Reman) uniform, so it's already allowed. You might just need to change the individual components to the uniform to be Romulan Fed or Romulan KDF.
    Are you on about your Rom & Reman Boffs though? If so, I'm not.

Once you choose your alliance, you're able to use your faction Boffs. I had a Trill Tactical Officer join my crew (for a uniform trial), and I am only able to select from Federation Uniforms. I want her (or any other chosen Boff) to be able to use the FED-ROM costume choices. I was only ever able to select the standard Federation options on her.
  • zorthoszorthos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An advisor/diplomat from another nations military would not wear the uniform of the nation they were attached to. This is true even in todays military where personnel are frequently attached to other nations military but retain their own countries uniform.
    edited May 2013
    zorthos wrote: »
    An advisor/diplomat from another nations military would not wear the uniform of the nation they were attached to. This is true even in todays military where personnel are frequently attached to other nations military but retain their own countries uniform.
    That may very well be the case, but the fact remains, upon choosing an alliance we gain new uniforms, uniforms that have no doubt been given to us by the faction we've aligned too (else we'd have them earlier already).
    edited May 2013
    zorthos wrote: »

Trek has been inconsistent about this although mostly aligns with what you said.

The one fairly consistent thing in Trek (that I'd like to see in STO) is that everyone is issued a combadge.

That applied to Wesley, Neelix, Kes, Nog, Garak, Seven, the Klingon exchange officer from "The Drumhead", Scotty, etc.

Once badges became the communicator, we saw almost every advisor, visitor, observer, provisional crew member, etc. get issued one when they served.

So I'd like it if they did at least do this with communicators.

Maybe add Romulan arm communicators like the KDF ones. And make communicators basically unlocked at the Captain level but usable on all crew, even otherwise non-customizable crew.

It would visually make sense to me if all those Breen and Borg BOs at least wore Starfleet communicators when with Starfleet, etc.
    edited May 2013
    Maybe add Romulan arm communicators like the KDF ones. And make communicators basically unlocked at the Captain level but usable on all crew, even otherwise non-customizable crew.
    :rolleyes:

If I remember rightly, the true Klingon Communicator / Comm Badge is the one on their upper arm.
  • romineshrominesh Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That may very well be the case, but the fact remains, upon choosing an alliance we gain new uniforms, uniforms that have no doubt been given to us by the faction we've aligned too (else we'd have them earlier already).

I don't think our allies gave us the uniforms; Logistically, the uniforms serve to differentiate between KDF and FED Romulans while giving both groups a distinctive look meant to evoke the ties Romulans have with their chosen ally.

Instead, I see the Flotilla's version of Garak eagerly rubbing his hands together after your ally selection, while saying things like, "You simply MUST have a new outfit celebrating this momentous occasion!" or "Oh yes, this will look perfect on you!" and "Oh, this fabric with these colors will be STUNNING! Your allies will just be completely envious of your superior fashion sense!"

But then again, any opportunity for me to insert Garak into all situations is a win/win, so I may be biased. :D
    edited May 2013
    rominesh wrote: »
    I don't think our allies gave us the uniforms; Logistically, the uniforms serve to differentiate between KDF and FED Romulans while giving both groups a distinctive look meant to evoke the ties Romulans have with their chosen ally.
    Possibly true.

That being said though, in regard to the argument both you and zorthos have stated, considering what else in this game would be inconsistent with actual trek / actual military, I don't think it would be asking too much to enable this option for us. If people don't want it, they don't have to use it, but I believe the option should be there for those of us that do wish to make full use of it.

If allies can use our ships and weapons, why can't they use our clothes too?
    rominesh wrote: »
    But then again, any opportunity for me to insert Garak into all situations is a win/win, so I may be biased.
    He was a brilliant character, was he not?
    edited May 2013
    :rolleyes:

If I remember rightly, the true Klingon Communicator / Comm Badge is the one on their upper arm.

Well, the only reason Romulans don't have communicators is because Rick Berman wanted to avoid using Romulans, I believe. So they didn't get as fleshed out as the Klingons.

I'm not sure that comes from any kind of special dislike. They obviously did use the Romulans, maybe about as often as Q. But in general, they wanted to avoid exploring them too much after Roddenberry died and the TOS writers like Gerrold and Fontana left. And then the novel writers and tie-in folks were frequently warned off from using Romulans until around 2000. (Which is why you have the big gap in Diane Duane's Rihannsu series. A few years before Nemesis, at the tail end of DS9, was more or less when the embargo lifted.)

It's funny to me because Klingons were entirely created to be a low budget replacement for Romulans. And they wound up getting not only much more fleshed out but also more expensive to costume/produce.
    edited May 2013
    Well, the only reason Romulans don't have communicators is because Rick Berman wanted to avoid using Romulans, I believe. So they didn't get as fleshed out as the Klingons.
    Well that didn't work out too well for him considering the Romulans are one of the most interesting and cared about species in the whole of Trek. :P