test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To Explore Strange New Worlds

javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Academy
I guess I'm about half way through the "Klingon War" story arc now. After I finish this, and before I get involved with the next one, I'd like to spend some time doing the "...second star to the right and straight on 'til morning" thing. So, if I'm interested in "five year mission" type stuff, and looking to run into random weird entities, or uncontacted civilizations, which may lead to self contained stories and decisions related to the prime directive, etc. what are my best options in the game?
His methods have become unsound.
Post edited by javaman1969 on

Comments

• bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Head off into the nebulae and vast open regions (ie. those things at the end or side of blocks, like Delta Volanis or the Zenas Expanse). You can pick up a couple daily missions to explore 3 systems & earn dilithium for it.

The missions are a real mix, some use standard races, others are purely randomized. You might get a space investigation mission, or a ground "scan X things" mission, or a "explore these caves / outpost." Oh, and of course, combat missions. It's really the closest thing to exploring strange new worlds in-game.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • kirkson2kirkson2 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unexplored nebulas
    Klingons smell worse than wookies:D
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exploration in STO is fairly crappy, I'm afraid. There are bunch of randomized mini-missions in the exploration clusters, but most of those are just "kill 5/5 ships", "scan 5/5 plants", etc. For gripping stories I'd recommend Foundry missions, when they become playable again.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • vermiskyvermisky Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm yeah don't bother with these unless you want a change of pace. They offer crappy rewards/SP too..
    Silest :: Sage Venomancer :: retired
    SamaraKnight :: Sage Seeker :: retired
  • xyzyzxxyzyzx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of which,

How is the new Klingon start up and story and quest line from 1-14,30?

better then just starting from 24?
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xyzyzx wrote: »
    Speaking of which,

How is the new Klingon start up and story and quest line from 1-14,30?

better then just starting from 24?
    From what i played on Tribble, it's fantastic. :)
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO does not offer the type of exploration you're looking for .
    If interested , you can repost your OP in the Foundry discussion forum , and ask for recommendations for story themes you'd like to play , such as first contact stories .

For example , look up author Alimac30 in the Foundry .
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, if you're looking for old-school TOS-style adventures, I'm afraid your best bet is to pick up a copy of GURPS Prime Directive and round up some players and a GM. (Come on, you're already being a nerd by playing a Star Trek game - is a tabletop RPG that much worse for your street cred?)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would definitely improve my nerd cred.
  • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're looking for old-school TOS-style adventures, I'm afraid your best bet is to pick up a copy of GURPS Prime Directive and round up some players and a GM. (Come on, you're already being a nerd by playing a Star Trek game - is a tabletop RPG that much worse for your street cred?)
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    STO does not offer the type of exploration you're looking for .
    If interested , you can repost your OP in the Foundry discussion forum , and ask for recommendations for story themes you'd like to play , such as first contact stories .

For example , look up author Alimac30 in the Foundry .

I shall make it so.