test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning, or not?

kjopmannkjopmann Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Hi guys!

Been gone from STO a good year now, but is considering coming back as my reasons for leaving have started fading from memory. My question is: what's the state of the game atm? ('the game'=pvp)

I seem to remember some things were silly OP when I left, but can't remember what... anyway, has it been fixed? Also, are there any new OP-ness available?

What's the heaviest setup running regularly these days? Are there still premades out there? What's the winning strategy they use now? (like CRFing or Power draining or healspamming or whatever new thing)

Needless to say, my main motivation for returning would be rolling a Romulan, so I can fly around acting like an arrogant prick while hiding behind lore. Still, I might take the sucker into pvp...

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dassem
Post edited by kjopmann on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    oh, i remember now... is spammingstill the same pita? (like carriers and stuff spamming the map until the screen makes no sense and the computer starts gasping for air)
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kjopmann wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Been gone from STO a good year now, but is considering coming back as my reasons for leaving have started fading from memory. My question is: what's the state of the game atm? ('the game'=pvp)

I seem to remember some things were silly OP when I left, but can't remember what... anyway, has it been fixed? Also, are there any new OP-ness available?

What's the heaviest setup running regularly these days? Are there still premades out there? What's the winning strategy they use now? (like CRFing or Power draining or healspamming or whatever new thing)

Needless to say, my main motivation for returning would be rolling a Romulan, so I can fly around acting like an arrogant prick while hiding behind lore. Still, I might take the sucker into pvp...

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Dassem

A good setup these days is 3 sci and 2 tac. IMO the best team would be a bug, a defiant, 2 temporal sci ships and a recluse. Double tap beam overload decloak alpha by the defiant, followed by a subnuke and attack by the bug, then subnuke again if he RSPs. The time ships usually run a PSW to break the extend shields from the other team and the recluse just spam heals all day with support healing from the time ships and maybe a viral matrix to coincide with an attack. The bug may or may not need to use his alpha, and if he doesn't then you still have another alpha and subnuke (or 2 if your target didn't RSP) for the next guy. Also using jump console to help subnuke is quite popular, and it's especially helpful when nuking an enemy with alhpa up. Not only do you spoil all his buffs, but you can quickly turn the tables on him if one of your tacs has an alpha up. Well, at least that's the strategy that I've had the most success with.

With as much new stuff as they have added, I'd say they've done a pretty good job of keeping things somewhat balanced. It can't possibly be easy, but the devs (especially Borticus) seem to actually fix stuff that is broken or OP at some point.

And of course there's plenty of spam as there are more carriers than ever, but the most annoying thing to me is when ejected warp plasma, gravity wells, and theta radiation actually disappear from the map but you still get stuck in it. I'm pretty sure this has some correlation with the amount of spam and/or simultaneous plasma clouds on screen.

Overall though, it's quite enjoyable and I'm glad we have a dev. around that interacts with the PvP community and actually fixes stuff.
  • Options
    dummynamedummyname Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Spamming still exists, in fact, yellowstone pets now have EWP and TB for extra fun. I think the typical/optimal setup these days is 3 science captains in a wells and 2 tacs in a bug but I've seen plenty of combinations that seem to work fine. The winning strategy varies, I've seen some teams go with heal heavy strategies which, despite being hard to kill makes their team struggle to kill their opponents with a decent healer and makes matches excruciatingly long. Apparently, defensive creep is very high so that it is very hard to kill a well geared player with tier 5 omega and romulan passive bonuses, so strategy revolves heavily around timing nukes with alphas and alot of tacs have gone to double or even triple BO with DEM to deal with the problem.

None of this matters now as today Romulans are here and feds will have to deal with battleclaoks, they can no longer just not queue up for FvF. What's worse, with good skills and a few romulan doffs it appears it will be very hard to detect and counter decloak aplha strikes.

Good Luck.
    24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
  • Options
    zarathos1978zarathos1978 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Returning, or not?

Not. If you could live whole year without STO, there is no reason to return to it and getting frustrated. The game is simply not worth it.

Getting new toon to the top with gear, reputation, ambassady stuff, getting DOFFs, lockbox ships... it is not worth it. If you are not addicted to Star Trek (STO being only modern ST game) then avoid it. I sadly am an ST addict so getting out of STO is pretty hard for me :(

If you want PvP go to MWO, EvE... even SW:TOR. But not STO.
  • Options
    darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You only want to come back to PvP if you are accepting the fact that:

- Its a pay2win game now
    - Wanna spend some money
    - Want to grind for a month or possibly more to get all the reputation system passives

If you accepted these facts, you can actually have some fun in PvP again.
    There are alot of factors now which are gravely underpowered, but there are also alot of good changes that have been implemented in the last few months, fixes, even now with the last patch notes for Romulus there are some wild and nice changes which will make alot of UP stuff powerful again, etc.

If you are dedicated you can achieve a competitive play, if not you will end up whining, crying etc.

The game has turned and its all about spike these days, no more easy spacebar spamming play.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • Options
    dummynamedummyname Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you want PvP go to MWO, EvE... even SW:TOR. But not STO.

I'm not sure on MWO but I'm assuming its the old FASFA remake so its just mechwarriors on the ground. SWTOR is ground combat as well, which only leaves EvE which is incredibly boring to me, and I've done all aspects, Pirating, FW, nulsec small gang roams & large fleet warfare (hello 46DP-0). It seems like regardless of how you want to pvp in that game, it is alot of hurry-up and wait and even large fights seem dull by comparison to a simple 5v5 in STO.

Honestly, I'll never forgive Netdevil for failing to come out with Jumpgate Evolution...that game was going to be awesome for pvp. :cool:
    24 Hours a day, 365 days a week.
  • Options
    trixiefantrixiefan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dummyname wrote: »
    I'm not sure on MWO but I'm assuming its the old FASFA remake so its just mechwarriors on the ground. SWTOR is ground combat as well, which only leaves EvE which is incredibly boring to me, and I've done all aspects, Pirating, FW, nulsec small gang roams & large fleet warfare (hello 46DP-0). It seems like regardless of how you want to pvp in that game, it is alot of hurry-up and wait and even large fights seem dull by comparison to a simple 5v5 in STO.

Honestly, I'll never forgive Netdevil for failing to come out with Jumpgate Evolution...that game was going to be awesome for pvp. :cool:

Play PVE get spaceships fix, then go play a flying game like Warthunder for pvp someone suggested that on these forums, great idea imo.
  • Options
    naz4naz4 Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited May 2013

- Its a pay2win game now
    - Wanna spend some money
    - Want to grind for a month or possibly more to get all the reputation system passives

There are alot of factors now which are gravely underpowered, but there are also alot of good changes that have been implemented in the last few months, fixes, even now with the last patch notes for Romulus there are some wild and nice changes which will make alot of UP stuff powerful again, etc.

If you are dedicated you can achieve a competitive play, if not you will end up whining, crying etc.

The game has turned and its all about spike these days, no more easy spacebar spamming play.

Cant agree more....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not. If you could live whole year without STO, there is no reason to return to it and getting frustrated. The game is simply not worth it.

Getting new toon to the top with gear, reputation, ambassady stuff, getting DOFFs, lockbox ships... it is not worth it. If you are not addicted to Star Trek (STO being only modern ST game) then avoid it. I sadly am an ST addict so getting out of STO is pretty hard for me :(

Sadly I'm a bit of a ST addict... Luckily, I used to run wierd ship setups, that may never have been optimal for winning, but relied heavily on piloting skills. I guess these should not fare much worse now... afai remember, it was spam that turned PvP into PvE that ruined the fun for me...

- Its a pay2win game now
    - Wanna spend some money

Hmm... I never believed much in maxing out gear, but rather on flexible tactics, but I fear not having a reputation will put me at a severe disadvantage... As for money, I spent so much before I left I already have the best ships i think. That tap, however, is closed, because of a forum related issue...

Isn't whining and crying supposed to be half the fun? No, wait... that's hearing the enemy whining and crying! :p Well, I'm about as dedicated a player as ever visited STO! True, not dedicated to success or winning... but to finding obscure and new ways of killing enemies.

Spike? I think I have a tac in a dedicated tric-bomber build that would (sometimes) rock the battlefield back in the day... Has this build become less relevant? (Saw the latest patch notes. Tric mines give damage to self now? How about to allies? That would really spice up my world...)

Seriously,
    The Dassem
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2013

- Its a pay2win game now
    - Wanna spend some money

thanks for answering the questions so honestly and directly MT. I too have had that question of myself lately, and I'm not ready to accept massive p2w and grind as my saviors yet.

-genxcraig
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]