test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

suggestion: inactivity-Kick

elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
I was thinking in general, should there be a kick from the server for inactivity?

(while i think there IS a 1hour kick currently active) it feels like its TOO long.

Part of me thinks that the current queues could also be factored* by inactivity, so maybe cutting down the timer to 30mins or 15mins it can help shift some of the queue, kicking people who arnt playing.. for people who want to!

*(obviously im not suggesting everyone on sto is presently afk)

Also as a extra benefit this can also deter serial AFkers in longer or failed optinal stfs (sometimes due to the player being AFK in the first place!)

Any thoughts? :D
[Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
Post edited by elandarksky on

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Erm no

Some people have lives outside of the game and can't always be available so this is a rubbish idea on so many levels
    JtaDmwW.png
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Problem is the game registers you as inactive sometimes when you are not.

Scanning the exchange, and playing dabo being two I know for certain. Pretty sure it does it if you're sitting in the tailor as well. I can imagine a lot of (fairly well founded) rage over that last one.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Problem is the game registers you as inactive sometimes when you are not.

Scanning the exchange, and playing dabo being two I know for certain. Pretty sure it does it if you're sitting in the tailor as well. I can imagine a lot of (fairly well founded) rage over that last one.

I think setting it back down to 15 minutes would be fine (and BTW - you do get a message that you are about to be kicked for inactivity before you are kicked, and just moving your mouse, or hitting a key will reset it.)

If you really do need to be AFK for an hour, you really should be logging out instead.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • celairnaurcelairnaur Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is an inactivity kick as you stated there is no reason to change the timer just because of people's impatience.
  • graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It used to BE 15 minutes.

It wouldn't matter right now though, because there's too much incentive not to let yourself get booted. They'll just come along and push spacebar every however long the limit is to keep from getting stuck in the 15000 strong queue.
  • lightstone94lightstone94 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My personal opinion is, yes, they should change the timer to around 15-30mins instead of the 1hr....I think it would balance the server, more than it is right now...:(
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i rather LIKE the 1 hour idle timer. i often tab out and do some forum stuff while i wait for a 10 minute cooldown to expire to start an STF or whatever...

but i agree, if there is a queue of 18000+ players then yes, people who idle should be kicked after 15 minutes, like it was initially, no problem there if it is switched back to 1 hour when the Servers can handle the load again.

btw. even with the queue the latency is so bad for me i don't even WANT to play like this -> LTA logged in as 5 of ****** took 5 seconds to log in.

But moving 10 items in the account bank took 3 minutes for it to react *ugh* chatted a bit with my fleeties how much the cryptic servers are in apocalypse mode and unplayable, got confirmation by everyone and logged off.

But yepp for the moment 15 minute idle timer would be fine to get the queue moving just a little faster (for those F2Pers)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karhaekarhae Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also as a extra benefit this can also deter serial AFkers in longer or failed optinal stfs (sometimes due to the player being AFK in the first place!)

Unfortunately that won't work as advertised, because the STF player had click the mouse to start the STF and even the shorter 15 minute timer is all or at least most of the fleet action most of the time...

Because they were at the keyboard at the start, not playing an STF is just trying to get a free ride on the other players' efforts, not simply being AFK for a bit. To fix that problem, boot players from the STF and replace them (or redistribute their rewards to the other players) if they're AFK for even two or three minutes. That's probably short enough to keep the anti-social few from bumping their mouse every two minutes instead of playing, but long enough to let players stabilize most unexpected interruptions well enough that those interruptions can wait for the event to end.