test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Umm, 10 GB patch? Is that right?!

ogariousogarious Member Posts: 37 Arc User
Ok, new expansion. I got it. But should it be a 10 GB patch?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lhinterfacelhinterface Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes.

That's about average for an expansion to a modern game.
    Player of the game since closed beta day 1
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you pre-patched then it's only about 200 MBs - it has to patch 10 gigs but only downloads 200 mbs. If you didn't pre-patch it's around 7 gigs when finally done.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • ogariousogarious Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Got it. Ok. Guess I'll let it download overnight. Though odds are that the servers will be taken down so nothing will happen...

Maybe I should just redownload the whole game and take it off of that crappy Steam service.

My God, Steam.....What was I thinking.....
  • lhinterfacelhinterface Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ogarious wrote: »
    Got it. Ok. Guess I'll let it download overnight. Though odds are that the servers will be taken down so nothing will happen...

Maybe I should just redownload the whole game and take it off of that crappy Steam service.

My God, Steam.....What was I thinking.....

I'm not sure how it works through steam, because I don't launch the game through it.

Either way, your update will not be effected by the servers going down unless they take the update servers down.

PS: While steam has it's bad moments, it's still better than distribution platforms like Origin or uplay.
    Player of the game since closed beta day 1
  • jadekitsune2jadekitsune2 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my question is, what's the problem with steam? Steam is one of the best, existing digital distribution services. Use Origin or Uplay and then tell me steam sucks. Also if you're having issues, make sure you're settings are proper in steam property's.

Seriously though, I've found launching STO though steam to be easier, since I have all my game's at my fingertips that way, and I can keep in touch with friends though steam.

anyway @ OP. Yes, Considering today's patch was introducing Legacy of Romulus. a full expansion pack that adds a completely new playable faction... I think a 10 gig download isn't that big of a deal, then again I have 100meg down speeds.
    Boldly going, where no woman has gone before.
  • therealall2easytherealall2easy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    my question is, what's the problem with steam? Steam is one of the best, existing digital distribution services. Use Origin or Uplay and then tell me steam sucks. Also if you're having issues, make sure you're settings are proper in steam property's..

The problem with Steam is the DRM, you need Steam to be running to launch a game. This means if you can't logon to Steam you can't play your game...

If I want to play System Shock 2, I'm not going to running the Steam version - I'll be running the GOG.com version (or my retail disc).

Frankly GOG.com has the best digital distribution period.
  • yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with Steam is the DRM, you need Steam to be running to launch a game. This means if you can't logon to Steam you can't play your game...

Steam does have an off-line mode too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Running through steam also lets you use the Steam Wallet to buy Zen rather than buying it from pwe directly

The bulk of that patch is probably the total overhaul of the textures

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f