test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You guy really oughta chill out

kamenridersaswordkamenridersasword Member Posts: 38 Arc User
Whenever an MMO get a big expansion things like this happen, and chances are we arent making it any easier on ourselves by clogging up the login servers.

Could things be better right now? Hell yeah but still stuff like this happens and getting mad aint gonna help. This is pretty much some bad weather, so lets just calmly wait it out and do something else for a bit while the devs fix things up
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kregorkregor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Careful, the whining fools won't listen to reason.
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whenever an MMO get a big expansion things like this happen, and chances are we arent making it any easier on ourselves by clogging up the login servers.

Could things be better right now? Hell yeah but still stuff like this happens and getting mad aint gonna help. This is pretty much some bad weather, so lets just calmly wait it out and do something else for a bit while the devs fix things up

i know this happens but sucks that only got to get through Romulan tutorial
  • Options
    theolentheolen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It's entirely possible to release an expansion for a MMO without massive server load issues. PWI and Cryptic have made the conscious decision to not account for massive server load. Instead, we can only assume they are hoping to ride out the problems until less people try to play at the same time.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kregor wrote: »
    Careful, the whining fools won't listen to reason.

You bring yourself down to their level when you resort to insulting them.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    tls1970tls1970 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had a feeling this would happen.

Look at happen with sto pass seasons they all had problems at first got better in a few days.

I say for one don't feed the trolls just make things worse :D.
  • Options
    soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Sounds like someone hasn't been in the MMO market long to know that this-day-and-age it's actually possible to release a full expansion or large update WITHOUT 10 hours of downtime, major release bugs, etc.

Go out and explore my friend, educate yourself.
  • Options
    nail83nail83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theolen wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to release an expansion for a MMO without massive server load issues. PWI and Cryptic have made the conscious decision to not account for massive server load. Instead, we can only assume they are hoping to ride out the problems until less people try to play at the same time.

Name one game that has had a flawless expansen launch
  • Options
    delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    You bring yourself down to their level when you resort to insulting them.

He didn't have to bring himself anywhere. He clearly maintains a residence there already.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nail83 wrote: »

When Checkers became Chess in 1583.
    <3
  • Options
    vnexusvnexus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I predicted something like this would happen actually. For one, it's a huge change to the game that's been moved to another shard with more ppl trying to log on at once or even at the same exact time.

Yes, I'm sure it'll fix it's self in that respects but they might need to tweak a few things on their end to, taking the server down might be wiser. Check for xtra errors, minor glitches or other unforscene things.
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If society or businesses lived by this "oh well, nothing's perfect, let's take what we've got and not try to improve" philosophy, I suspect we'd be pretty far behind by now.
  • Options
    adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited May 2013

I dont think anyone is asking for a flawless launch, they just want to do what they do in every other MMO expac launch- PLAY.

Now if you ask them how many other games launch PLAYABLE expacs, well hope you got awhile, because the list is quite long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • Options
    wetworth1wetworth1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Aaaaarg! Me Wanna Play Star Trek!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    seerisowseerisow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been around since s.t.o. launched and just like a previously posted guide there's always a "zerg rush" to be the first on to try the new features. take in the basic (and flawed) behavior of a consumer/customer who wants instant satisfaction guaranteed and multiply the head count somewhere in the multi-million range only equates out to the hardware/software being pressed beyond its capacity and the technical experts scrambling in overtime work hours to either fix the situation or in worst case situations replace/expand the whole rig.

from what minor experience I've got in that specialty of work I can say its usually a contest between (A) what the company executives want done. (B) what the network/systems department is asking for to achieve their corporate superiors objectives. (C) what the higher management is willing to provide while striking a balance between being as cheap and profitable as possible. then finally (D) what the shareholders believe they should get out of it.

one thing I know for certain is its an extreme nightmare when your job is revolving around the 24 hours maintenance and repair of multiple 8-10 foot tall racks filled with various routers, switches, server units(sometimes bladed) and other top of the line hardware that can total up to a few million dollars per location. this isn't even going into the customized software environments requiring hundreds of various licenses to be activated.

self educated on basic computer maintenance and repair, studying towards systems security. also assistant to family friend who is in charge of a network spread across the U.S west coast. all in all.. yes I agree people need to get off pwe/cryptic. this repeated scenario of every season having a catastrophic issue is to be expected when you really get into the play between the desires of the company vs what the environment can handle.