test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to Log In Due to Unknown Reasons (We're investigating this)

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't want any comment from Cryptic until after this is fixed. Because every moment spent trying to soothe ruffled feathers in here is a moment not spent solving the problem.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • lake1771lake1771 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tom40s wrote: »
    I spent 300 hundred dollars for gold, and hundreds on lock box keys...etc. this sucks, I demand to be able to log on now! how about Now!!!!! ok now? common guys fix this. You guys better hurry up and fix this before all the sto players withdraw subsides and we start doing other things like moving out of our chairs and living in the real world.

and tyvm.

/10char
  • captsabercaptsaber Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AHHHHHHHHH!H!H!HHHHHHHHA GRRRRRRRRHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHGERRRRHHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHGER...... Wait for it now the fit....... AAHAHAHAHAHAHRHEHEHDHDHRHEHEHEHEHRRRRRRRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Dam!
  • nscar1420nscar1420 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erawra1 wrote: »
    :eek: Wait... There's a new Top Gear episode?

I thought it was on break.

No Netflix
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Captain. The odds of a successful login are 100,979,585 to 1.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • viper15777viper15777 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I played the beta and played for about 3 months after. I lost that account and toon so last year i started over and was happy to pay for this game and i still am. I have played every MMO out there and did beta on most of them. I am 36 And have been a gamer for a very very long time so i am used to stuff like this happening but this has been in beta for a few months now and they had to know that it was going to be a big thing star trek is always a big thing and i'm sorry but they knew this would happen and should have prepared a bit better for it. I started the pre-patch a few days ago so it only took me 5 min to patch today. I know there are a lot of gamers out there like me and knew this was going to happen and i am sure it will be taken care of as soon as they can figure out how to. I am not mad at anyone because the game is good but they could update us a little bit better. :cool:
  • kimyriellekimyrielle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game just managed to load my characters. They are alive and kicking! Now I get stuck at "Retrieving list of maps", though. But it seems they are getting there...
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While it's frustrating not to have more information... given a choice between Cryptic a) communicating with the user base, or b) fixing the damn problem, I will take b) every time. (Yeah, in an ideal world, they could do both... last time I read a newspaper, though, this wasn't an ideal world.)

I'm just going to go do something else while this gets fixed, now. And I recommend this course of action to everyone else, because we're not going to get anywhere fretting over this.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • snikl12snikl12 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i was playing fine when I started at 3pm est. and about 7 o clock I got kicked of and now its giving me the same as others login fail for unknown reasons why please up date us on why this is happening so we know I have to go to work tonight I wanted some play time damnit.:mad:
  • gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I don't want any comment from Cryptic until after this is fixed. Because every moment spent trying to soothe ruffled feathers in here is a moment not spent solving the problem.

I'd sure like to know what better use you think a Community Manager would have when it comes to server hardware and game software bug fixing. :D
  • trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep up the good work devs! ignore the haters and keep doing what you're doing! Nothing is ever perfect in the beginning! But you'll get there in the end! I'm sure of that much!

Only problem is, This is NOT the begining, this is the same as every other time they add something to the game. I would except it if it was day one of a new game launch, unfortunately, this game is over 3 years old.

What is really sad, is we as consumers have come to except this from a company we pay for a service, that is truly sad.
    edited May 2013
    lissle wrote: »
    How many times was WoW down during major patches and expansions? well how many?
    As I recall, when WotLK launched, WoW was only down once. Of course, that one occasion lasted for just over a week...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Managed to get logged in, took 10mins to some items from my bank to my inventory, 20mins later, still waiting for the second set of items. :(
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just take the server offline. It's obvious it needs some TLC.
  • mortrecmortrec Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Went to dinner, came back, crossed my fingers, and eureka! a new message. Loading character list.......connection to server timed out! Something to be said for variety!
  • omgitzstartrekomgitzstartrek Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this cant be good right? now i get this from the forums....

Database error
    The Star Trek Online database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the sto-forum.perfectworld.com home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The sto-forum.perfectworld.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
  • chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would be most upset if they had regional servers to be quite honest. I have made very good friends in the United States and Australia that I would otherwise not have met, or at least not all at once. Not only that but my better half is in a different country, so I would not have met her had the servers been split in such a fashion.

As for Cryptics issues, from what I understand of the server architecture employed for games such as STO, where it shares certain hardware with other products (in this case Neverwinter Nights and Champions Online) the only hardware that is physically shared is the proxy layer.

This layer is what routes all the incoming and outgoing data packets to their correct destinations which, if my information is correct, is partly what allows people to communicate across all three of Cryptics games. Were they to increase the amount of blades in the proxy layer as well as increase the bandwidth dedicated to this hardware then we should see a massive drop in communications disruptions.

If someone with actual working knowledge of multi-platform interconnected gaming server architecture could verify this, or perhaps one of Cryptics own staff, I'd be grateful. After all, I don't want to go around making assumptions.

Regional servers wouldn't prevent people from other regions playing on servers they'd prefer. In WoW, for example, I was in a guild that had British and Australian players in it, and the server was an East Coast, USA server. Same thing with the server I am on now in WoW, players from around the world congregate on Proudmoore, even though it is an American West Coast server. And plus, with cross server communication, and the ability to team up across servers, you'd still meet people from all over. The idea was only suggested to help alleviate the problems with server stability. But, your idea works equally well. Now the true test: Getting Cryptic to actually do it.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    karcorner wrote: »
    I am playing #neverwinter right now. With my new cat cape from the catastrophe!

Maybe we'll get a fail-gift for LoR! ;)
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • stephane2258stephane2258 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just going to see how long the Server Not Responding gets up to before I get tired of it

That is just what I fear could happen in a large scale! Many didn't liked season 7 and were waiting for Legacy of Romulus to come back. If they can't, they could just decide to pass to something else. I still have hope for the game, but a MMO need players to survive.
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shevet wrote: »
    While it's frustrating not to have more information... given a choice between Cryptic a) communicating with the user base, or b) fixing the damn problem, I will take b) every time. (Yeah, in an ideal world, they could do both... last time I read a newspaper, though, this wasn't an ideal world.)

I'm just going to go do something else while this gets fixed, now. And I recommend this course of action to everyone else, because we're not going to get anywhere fretting over this.

>Implying that the PR team has anything to do with the engineering team.
  • donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    viper15777 wrote: »
    I played the beta and played for about 3 months after. I lost that account and toon so last year i started over and was happy to pay for this game and i still am.

I have played every MMO out there and did beta on most of them. I am 36 and have been a gamer for a very very long time so i am used to stuff like this happening, but this has been in beta for a few months now and they had to know that it was going to be a big thing, star trek is always a big thing and i'm sorry but they knew this would happen and should have prepared a bit better for it.

I started the pre-patch a few days ago so it only took me 5 min to patch today. I know there are a lot of gamers out there like me and knew this was going to happen and i am sure it will be taken care of as soon as they can figure out how to. I am not mad at anyone because the game is good but they could update us a little bit better. :cool:

Fixed that for you. Sort of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited May 2013
    I'd sure like to know what better use you think a Community Manager would have when it comes to server hardware and game software bug fixing. :D
    Getting coffee for the programmers. A programmer, as everyone knows, is a device that converts caffeine into code. Without sufficient caffeine input, the output end suffers.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darakoss wrote: »

Soooo.... you're saying we have a better chance of logging in than getting the grand prize Lock box ship.
  • graptorgraptor Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well I got to the character select screen for the second time...the first time It unknown reason'd me while 'retrieving list of maps'
  • abradaxabradax Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a lifetime subscriber, I demand that at least 1000 people log out so I can get in :)
    Lieutenant Johnathan "Seven" Abradax
    Liberated Borg -Captain USS Solstice
    Member of Starfleet Borg Task Force - Tactical Unit
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really thought there would be more to the game than a star rising over a spinning planet and the words

"Retrieving list of characters . . ."

How do we know when we have won?!?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • woodyice2470woodyice2470 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ye Ha im in but got server not responding when trying to go down to nekari system LOL now why does that not surprise me its all false hopes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Getting coffee for the programmers. A programmer, as everyone knows, is a device that converts caffeine into code. Without sufficient caffeine input, the output end suffers.

Oh, how cute.

You think they work in the same place. :D
    edited May 2013
    darakoss wrote: »
    Never tell me the odds! (Oops, wrong captain...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is a special message about STO Legacy of Romulus from Wilford Brimley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7tSSN2fHc
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.