test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New char for new content?

dazolamdazolam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Academy
Heya all,

Back to STO after a very long break from gaming in general and finding no COH I have come for some spaceships :D.

Basically, I've resubbed and have started afresh. No old chars or anything hanging around. My current char is a Fed captain (Sci) who is rank 14 or something (Lt Com). Ive found out about the new content arriving and i want to know if I might do better making a new char to explore Romulan stuff with everyone or will there be lots of stuff new for my Fed captain to do?

Also, whats the difference between skillpoints and expertise? SP make me level up, are expertise the ones i spend on char progression?
Post edited by dazolam on

Comments

• twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dazolam wrote: »
    Ive found out about the new content arriving and i want to know if I might do better making a new char to explore Romulan stuff with everyone or will there be lots of stuff new for my Fed captain to do?

I don't know how long ago you left, but there's plenty for you to do regardless of the faction. If you have the character slots, I suggest making one of each and taking turns.
    Also, whats the difference between skillpoints and expertise? SP make me level up, are expertise the ones i spend on char progression?

Skillpoints are for your captain. Exeprtise are for your bridge officers. Skillpoints stop when you hit level cap and are shifted over to expertise, which never stops. You can use it to train new boffs you get, or trade it in for reputation (IIRC)
    <3
  • dazolamdazolam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cheers for the fast response, all the shiny new ships are swaying me towards the newer stuff for now, gotta admit :D

Thought the points were seperate but cos I levelled sort of alongside my Boffs I didnt make the connection, ty.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Expertise are the ones you spend on your bridge officers. They don't cap like skill points do (when you hit the cap, skill points are converted to more expertise).

Federation, Romulans, and Klingons have different progression paths, at least up until around the 30's, where storylines converge around shared enemies. Both Klingons and Romulans got a lot of new content in this range, but Feds got a batch as well in the shared Nimbus III arc. If you want to explore new content, it's worth rolling all three factions and at least progression up to the mission The Vault, after which the campaigns are very similar (some different dialog and the Tribble with Klingons mission isn't available to every faction). From there, you can pick a main for shared and endgame content depending on whatever preference you have.
  • bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dazolam wrote: »
    Heya all,

Back to STO after a very long break from gaming in general and finding no COH I have come for some spaceships :D.

Basically, I've resubbed and have started afresh. No old chars or anything hanging around. My current char is a Fed captain (Sci) who is rank 14 or something (Lt Com). Ive found out about the new content arriving and i want to know if I might do better making a new char to explore Romulan stuff with everyone or will there be lots of stuff new for my Fed captain to do?

Basically, most of the Romulan content is only for Romulan/Reman captains. Unless you're really interested in playing one, don't worry: your Fed Sci still has plenty of fun stuff to go through in those storylines.

Skill points improve your captain's skills, Expertise points are for improving your Bridge Officers' skills + some reputation boosts.
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • redbeardjimredbeardjim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tangentially related to the first question up there -- are we getting an extra character slot with the expansion? I haven't seen anything about such a thing in any of the FAQs or patch notes, but if it's already been answered and I missed it, apologies in advance.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, everybody's getting one additional slot. I believe it's locked to the Romulan faction, not unrestricted.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Yeah, everybody's getting one additional slot. I believe it's locked to the Romulan faction, not unrestricted.

That's five dilithium farm...er... heroes for me to save the day with.
    <3
  • pwedisplaynamepwedisplayname Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    That's five dilithium farm...er... heroes for me to save the day with.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing has taken the sting out of farming Dilithium more than having ten character slots.

Hang out at the Academy, 4800 Dilith/day.

LOL, and the Devs ask why people are refining so little of it... maybe because there isn't a good way to get it!