test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, what percentage of the endgame population is going to be Romulan after this?

jinja64jinja64 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Just curious, I know Romulans have been the most requested thing, on top of having new and well designed leveling progression, new fresh ships, it seems like the majority of players may end up being romulan. I'm ok with that, but it is annoying in a lore sense, because shouldn't they be the least seen race by far due to the whole planet kerploding.
Post edited by jinja64 on

Comments

• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although we will see a huge number flying around, especially in Tau Dewa where you will barely be able to move :/, i think a large number will still go back to older toons for end game fun and frolics as they have lockbox ships and good kit to be able to farm goodies.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've never given a damn about endgame. I stop playing any character that reaches the level cap. The fun for me has always been the journey.
    I am basically in the same boat. I have 1 character who does all content - my first character. The rest of the time I just run a character to 50 and then use them to grind some Dilithium and start a new character to start the journey all over again. Some characters I've leveled only using Doffs. Others I've leveled only doing Foundry missions, etc.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2013
    jinja64 wrote: »
    Just curious, I know Romulans have been the most requested thing, on top of having new and well designed leveling progression, new fresh ships, it seems like the majority of players may end up being romulan. I'm ok with that, but it is annoying in a lore sense, because shouldn't they be the least seen race by far due to the whole planet kerploding.
    As with any new content, a bunch of people will use it at first, and then only the ones who want to use it will stick with it. I'm expecting to see a bigger KDF bump long-term then I am Romulan.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's going to be very hard to work out meaningful numbers for quite a few months.

Let's also remember, KDF population is lower than it would normally be, because of the "you must already be committed to a FED character" thing. This was always an obvious killer, as far as casual players go.

Now people will have the option of starting as whatever they want among any of the three factions, right away. It will take some time to really get a meaningful sense of what that is going to result in. Probably not until near season 8 (or whatever the next big update will be called) before we can make a useful determination.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to go WAY out on a little teenie tiny limb and put forth my own idea of what the future holds for a somewhat settled endgame player population -

75% Star Fleet
    15% Klingon Defense Force
    10% Romulan Republic

Oh there will be a massive spawning of new characters for both the KDF and the Romulans on release day and in the few weeks following, but then by the end of summer most of the players will go back to their favorite character.
    edited May 2013
    The KDF content is going to push them past the supposed 18%, IMO. It's quite fun to play through now.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The difference between warp cores and singularity cores, combined with the subsystem power issues will, in the long run, keep the Fed and KDF populations ahead of the Romulan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Strange, what exactly keeps me from using all my characters at some point ? The implication that most people choose one faction and stick with it sound odd to me. I like them all ! :)
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    I'm going to go WAY out on a little teenie tiny limb and put forth my own idea of what the future holds for a somewhat settled endgame player population -

75% Star Fleet
    15% Klingon Defense Force
    10% Romulan Republic

Oh there will be a massive spawning of new characters for both the KDF and the Romulans on release day and in the few weeks following, but then by the end of summer most of the players will go back to their favorite character.

I think that might be a little steep. While you have many valid points, there are many people who have been waiting for a Romulan Faction, and you can't underestimate what a new player will do.

Granted, I think an even 33 split is overly optimistic, it is more likely we will see something like this:

50% Starfleet
    25% Klingon Defense Force
    25% Romulan Republic

True, Since we are talking endgame, it may take us a while to get there, but I think there is a real possibility to see a shift how the game population favors a giving faction.
  • jinja64jinja64 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After a long period of time, I was thinking it'd actually get close to even, like 45% Fed, 30% KDF, 25% Romulan. But for the first couple months I figured of the people playing it would be something like 50% Romulan 25% of the others.
  • anthslickanthslick Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I plan to make lvl 50 tac rommie but as many others i do to make it only for the journey and stick with 1 toon as main (tac fed) I dont have nerves to farm all that reputation again.......
  • atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There ultimately isn't going to be a three-way breakdown. Romulans are only a half-faction tied to either the Feds or KDF. And mechanically they function only as a Fed/KDF, not as a faction all their own.

If anything it will help the KDF's population (in addition to starting at level 1).
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think of the Romulan faction as the great EXPERIMENT . if this works as intended , with cryptic making Romulans a faction tied to the other 2 main factions this opens a door for other factions without making them FULL FLEDGED factions . they need just a linking story that adds them to either the FED or KDF .
    so i can so see this being done for the Cardassians in the future if everything goes well with the Romulans
    time will tell
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I decided to start playing STO again. I have not played for a very long time...

(How long? Back when Klingons could only PvP, there was no difficulty sliders, and i am not even sure what a tier 5 ship means... and... well... basically I started in beta... played a month and stopped).

I did purchase a lifetime membership... and I was wondering... if I wanted to start playing again... TOMORROW... or Wednesday (historically a huge patch is a terrible day to play)what faction should I play?

Fed, KDR, or Roms?

As a new new new - not completely new player?

I used to play Star Fleet Battles, Star Fleet Command, and of course a bunch of non trek and trek games too...

I hear there is not allot of Klingon players? I find that hard to figure out... is their story or PvE not as good? you can still be a Gorn right?
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »
    I decided to start playing STO again.... if I wanted to start playing again... TOMORROW... or Wednesday (historically a huge patch is a terrible day to play)what faction should I play?

KDF will have a new tutorial and PvE missions to level. Romulans are new to everyone. So I'd suggest whichever of those appeals to you more.
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the concern should be how many will remain on the romulan faction after a while.
    as for me i think i will go full blooded romulan once its released...
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    atomictiki wrote: »
    There ultimately isn't going to be a three-way breakdown. Romulans are only a half-faction tied to either the Feds or KDF. And mechanically they function only as a Fed/KDF, not as a faction all their own.

If anything it will help the KDF's population (in addition to starting at level 1).

I've been saying that for a while and the Romulan fans have been grabbing their pitchforks and torches lol.

I think there will be more players in KDF camp (whether they be KDf or rom-KDF it doesn't matter) and they may even get 30-40% of the playerbase!

If we're talking a three way (not that kind) then I'd say 50-60% Fed, 20-30% Rom and 20-30% KDF. There will be a lot of Fed players that see Romulans as "Oh sweet I can have a fed character that cloaks" so will still pull more players especially as most people own more c-store ships and items for Fed.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • lordgabelordgabe Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This question's answer is why Roms are not a full faction as all the new player joining for LoR and a few old players levleing a new character won't be enough to balance with the feds and klingons. They'll be quite a few running about but not as many as people think, they'll be fun alts.
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    W.B. Yeats

Lifer since beta its never been so good! So now can everyone chill this game is going in the right direction :P
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordgabe wrote: »
    This question's answer is why Roms are not a full faction as all the new player joining for LoR and a few old players levleing a new character won't be enough to balance with the feds and klingons. They'll be quite a few running about but not as many as people think, they'll be fun alts.

huumans are way to optimistic about any thing trek if you think about it only ones that will be going KDF are one who have been KDF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • sauron90805sauron90805 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It shouldn't affect endgame at all, Romulans have to choose UFP or KDF at lvl 10 and then from lvl 40-50 it is the main faction's missions. This can only help UFP in STFs get even with cloaking ships but otherwise the overal numbers for UFP should remain the same and an increase for KDF as they can attract new players and claim a percentage of Romulan players for endgame. Sure there may be a slight decline in high level activity for the first week or 2 and everyone power levels their Rommie.....:D
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm gonna play some Romulans, but I'm not going to abandon my Fed or KDF characters.
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited May 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    Although we will see a huge number flying around, especially in Tau Dewa where you will barely be able to move :/, i think a large number will still go back to older toons for end game fun and frolics as they have lockbox ships and good kit to be able to farm goodies.

This sort of amuses me. While Tau Dewa will be busy I believe the sector space is limited to 75 players so there will be a lot of instances. On the test weekend the romulan start zone had about 20 instances running when I logged on.

Players are going to focus a lot on leveling their romulan character which is easy enough for the first 20 levels. Farming dil, loot or rep will still happen on other characters. It will be a while before the majority of romulans are level 50.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited May 2013
    You have to remember that now a new player who has never played before can choose which race to be and level from 1-50 from the beginning. Previously you HAD to choose Fed to be able to play KDF and by that point most of the casual players have shrugged their shoulders and continue with Fed. Tomorrow a new player can install STO, log in (in a few weeks after the rush) and the will get a choice. Join the puritan Starfleet and fly around with your head up your ****, join the passionate space elves with fancy cloaks and cool powers or join the waaaarrrghhhh, we luv da dakka! Sorry I mean join the KDF and fight for glory, honor and use sneaky cloaks to achieve victory.

It makes other factions a little bit more tempting and accessible to the average player so we might see some shift towards new KDF and Roms from casual players.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited May 2013
    I didn't really want to play a fed when I started but I was forced to level one, discover I liked them even less at level 50 than I thought I would, and then make kdf characters.

You are right there will be a gradual shift away from there being so many fed and fed side characters. The romulans also get a bonus choice of choosing their faction when they want to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've never given a damn about endgame. I stop playing any character that reaches the level cap. The fun for me has always been the journey.

I've leveled up five Feds and four KDF characters, exploring the game from as many angles careers, species, genders as possible.

What I love about the Legacy of Romulus, is now I have the opportunity to start again, from a fresh point of view.

IT'S GONNA BE A BLAST ! :D

I can't wait to see all the Romulans flyin about.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jinja64 wrote: »

I intend to add a Romulan to my toons along with my Tactical, Engineer and Science Dudes.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It shouldn't affect endgame at all, Romulans have to choose UFP or KDF at lvl 10 and then from lvl 40-50 it is the main faction's missions. This can only help UFP in STFs get even with cloaking ships but otherwise the overal numbers for UFP should remain the same and an increase for KDF as they can attract new players and claim a percentage of Romulan players for endgame. Sure there may be a slight decline in high level activity for the first week or 2 and everyone power levels their Rommie.....:D

Actually I believe the Romulans have missions for levels 1-50, don't confuse the option to play your allies missions with not having anymore of your own.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually what's funny is I've leveled my Orion to maxium level, but I've still only played the missions up to Alpha. The problem is story missions reward no marks which is stupid, they don't even reward dilithium.

Anyways back on topic, I don't believe it will be a zero sum game, lots of people have alts, and I imagine there will be more created.

Plus they'll probably be a bump in the amount of time players are playing so this should boost the amount of people playing all the factions.
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It will break up depending on allies, the KDF Romulans get all the the new stuff from the Klingon content.

So who will be a Federation hippie Romulan, or a badass KDF Romulan.

I'm neither........

I'm a KDF Reman
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just cashed in all my dilithium and deleted both characters. I figure the best way to see all the changes being brought about is starting everything from scratch.