test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What time does Legacy of Romulus go live?

caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
Hi there, i live in the UK, and i am just wondering what time will the Legacy of Romulus expansion go live? I am expecting it to be some odd time here as usually your times are based around the US time zones.

Thanks.
" Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
Post edited by caldannach on

Comments

• Options
    gregbgregb Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if they do the patching early early like they have done so on past season updates mostly likely time will be around 5/6pm UK time since they the maintenance will be atleast 6 hours or so
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont think we know yet. I would expect around 6 or 7 pm England time as it will be longer than normal but when when they tell us, dont be surprised if the maintenance gets extended.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dan stated in a post last week that the expected downtime would be from 6 to 11 AM, PST. So that should make it going live around 7 PM in England.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just read tomorrows patch notes and it says "*improved stability" so you won't be seeing LoR until Wednesday at the earliest.

:p
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok thanks guys, that gives me a good idea. :)
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Dan stated in a post last week that the expected downtime would be from 6 to 11 AM, PST. So that should make it going live around 7 PM in England.

Oh good that means I can get on after my Dinner
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    I just read tomorrows patch notes and it says "*improved stability" so you won't be seeing LoR until Wednesday at the earliest.

Wednesday at the earliest ???

C'mon they said 21 so they will not pospone till 22 may that's not right unless there are big problems with servers or anything else.
    I hope the servers can handle the big crowds because believe me it will be very busy 21 may !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah unfortunately I think you're probably right. In fact even Wednesday may be overly optimistic. Major software upgrade + huge amount of people trying to log in? Yeah..... I'll be happy if I get to play LoR "some time within the next week".
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Wednesday at the earliest ???

C'mon they said 21 so they will not pospone till 22 may that's not right unless there are big problems with servers or anything else.
    I hope the servers can handle the big crowds because believe me it will be very busy 21 may !!!

Yeah, they can't. The Servers will either be overloaded with massive queues and you'll never get in or they will just crash and burn. Probably taking NWO with them.

And Cryptic will still refuse to acknowledge that they need new - dedicated - servers.

Wednesday at the earliest is optimistic. Try next week. That's probably a more accurate estimate of when the majority will actually get to play LoR.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited May 2013

sure you've not click on old patch notes?
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Yeah, they can't. The Servers will either be overloaded with massive queues and you'll never get in or they will just crash and burn. Probably taking NWO with them.

And Cryptic will still refuse to acknowledge that they need new - dedicated - servers.

Wednesday at the earliest is optimistic. Try next week. That's probably a more accurate estimate of when the majority will actually get to play LoR.

I have a hard time believing that even cryptic would be stupid enough to host their games on the same server. I do believe they're stupid enough to have them all in the same building with a single pipe out to the interwebs, however.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    sure you've not click on old patch notes?

The latest posted patch note are from the 7th of May. There are no patch notes for the LoR launch yet. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    threat21 wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing that even cryptic would be stupid enough to host their games on the same server. I do believe they're stupid enough to have them all in the same building with a single pipe out to the interwebs, however.

Well they keep denying it whenever someone mentions it but it's far too conveinent that when the "servers" are down due to unforseen issues, generally STO and NWO are down at the same time.

Mark my words. Only the lucky will be playing LoR tomorrow.
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    Well they keep denying it whenever someone mentions it but it's far too conveinent that when the "servers" are down due to unforseen issues, generally STO and NWO are down at the same time.

Mark my words. Only the lucky will be playing LoR tomorrow.

nah I can buy that. the down time could be attributed to failing network equipment, such as firewall, switches, etc. That would surly cause all of their services to go down. They don't have any off site redundancy or load balancing to compensate.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

In case you haven't been paying attention, DStahl mentioned in a post last week that Cryptic has updated all its hardware. That's why we haven't had a server crash in about a week. They're clearly taking steps to deal with the influx. But the thing with FTP games is that you never know how many are coming to try it out. There could be an extra 10k or an extra million.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    In case you haven't been paying attention, DStahl mentioned in a post last week that Cryptic has updated all its hardware. That's why we haven't had a server crash in about a week. They're clearly taking steps to deal with the influx. But the thing with FTP games is that you never know how many are coming to try it out. There could be an extra 10k or an extra million.

Exactly. And Star Trek's getting a lot of publicity right now, which is good news for the game, developers and franchise in general, but bad news for the players of this game.

Frankly, they've taken steps; fine. But these are steps that probably should have been taken a long time ago. The fiasco of the 3rd Anniversary - so i'm told - was simply a repeat of what happened at the launch of every previous season; Massive queues for the servers as the players who are normally "take it or leave it" rush back to see what new shiny goodies are available.

For the 3rd Anniversary, it's not so bad - it was one mission. People log in, do it, log out again. But this will be different. People won't just be jumping in and out real quick. There'll be people trying to hit max level on day one, who will be doing marathon-like playthroughs for hours on end. Which is going to leave some people stuck out in the cold.

I don't know. We'll just have to see tomorrow. But my money says a lot of dissapointed people who - one way or another - can't get onto the server.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Exactly. And Star Trek's getting a lot of publicity right now, which is good news for the game, developers and franchise in general, but bad news for the players of this game.

Frankly, they've taken steps; fine. But these are steps that probably should have been taken a long time ago. The fiasco of the 3rd Anniversary - so i'm told - was simply a repeat of what happened at the launch of every previous season; Massive queues for the servers as the players who are normally "take it or leave it" rush back to see what new shiny goodies are available.

For the 3rd Anniversary, it's not so bad - it was one mission. People log in, do it, log out again. But this will be different. People won't just be jumping in and out real quick. There'll be people trying to hit max level on day one, who will be doing marathon-like playthroughs for hours on end. Which is going to leave some people stuck out in the cold.

I don't know. We'll just have to see tomorrow. But my money says a lot of dissapointed people who - one way or another - can't get onto the server.
    What we'll experience tomorrow is no different then what happens with any other game introducing a major expansion. LotRO had some issues when Riders of Rohan was released late last year, SWTOR had issues with Rise of the Hutt Cartel last month, and I'm sure STO will have issues with Legacy of Romulus tomorrow. It's all just part of the process - and launch problems certainly aren't unique to just STO. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What we'll experience tomorrow is no different then what happens with any other game introducing a major expansion. LotRO had some issues when Riders of Rohan was released late last year, SWTOR had issues with Rise of the Hutt Cartel last month, and I'm sure STO will have issues with Legacy of Romulus tomorrow. It's all just part of the process - and launch problems certainly aren't unique to just STO. :)

Oh of course, didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just it feels like tomorrow's mass exodus of players coming to the game is going to be compounded by the recent server stability issues. Yes, they've got them under control - relatively speaking; some PvE events seem to lag like crazy - but for what they have to deal with now. Tomorrow will be whole other ball game when it comes to stability.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2013

these heavy spikes of people coming on only happen for a few days every year. while they have said that they have made some upgrades, they are not going to splash huge amounts money on something you need for 1% of the year.

the servers can often handle the loads but they are complicated bits of equipment. its a little trickier than just turning them on and waiting until they are at full capacity. its no where near as simple as 'just get better servers'.
  • Options
    rickpellrickpell Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The server schedule for 5/21/2013 is as follows:

11:00:56.63am PST: Server will go live with the LoR expansion.

11:03:47.05am PST: Server will crash due to massive traffic demands.

11:17:21.88am PST: Server will come back up.

11:19:21.87am PST: Server will crash again.

11:21:45.09am PST: Server will be taken down for maintenance.

04:43:56.56pm PST: Server will be brought back online.

04:43:58.56pm PST: Server will crash, taking Champions Online, Neverwinter Nights Beta,
    and Twitter with it.

05:53:08.15pm PST: After much complaining on the forums about the downtime, the
    forums will also crash.

07:26:45.32pm PST: All servers will be successfully brought back online.

08:35:21.18pm PST: The server will be brought down for an emergency maintenance patch.

10:57:34.81pm PST: The server will be brought back online and will be ready to go.

I kid because I love. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The servers will probably be fine. All the nerd rage from people screaming about how slowly they're downloading 9 gb, that's another issue. :)
  • Options
    lordgabelordgabe Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is all bracing for the worst to be honest :) see you all at 6:00-7:00GMT cannot wait! Lifer que skipping and me being there as servers going up should be a fun way to get strait on hopefully... just as servers crash ofc.
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet, Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    W.B. Yeats

Lifer since beta its never been so good! So now can everyone chill this game is going in the right direction :P