test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is a ... dog? What is ...pizza?

jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Why is there virtually no Earth foods in STO (Like Steak and Ale pie, or Spag Bol, or Pizza or etc etc etc)

and absolutely NO animals either? (I for one would like a penguin to follow me! LOL but no ... a doggie would be fine)

Please do not tell me there copyrighted ... or worse

CBS dis-allows it ...
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Post edited by jumpingjs on

Comments

• jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would prefer a pet skunk. Because they are adorable.
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am waiting for my BEAGLE.

I will settle for a Pterodactyl though.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well it has Banana Split, Chateau Picard, Banana Pancakes, Catfish Sandwich, Coffee, Croissant, Earl Grey Tea, Field Rations, Haggis, Hot Chocolate, Jambalaya, Prune Juice, and Root Beer. The more iconic Star Trek Earth foods have to be added like Root Beer and Earl Grey Tea, but Pizza and Hot Dogs were only briefly mentioned in a few episodes.
  • quanmanchuquanmanchu Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (does his best Worf impression) Prune Juice...warrior's drink.:D
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In a way, this is like the Cartoon Network version of Brainiac's pants. But instead of pants, its a dog. "We want a dog, a decent pet of a dog!"

We been wanting a Beagle for years, but they give us Mastiffs and the Alfa dog. :P

And with foods, I am clueless why they add so many food vendors, they add bartenders and chefs to Starbases and Embassies, and it's the same stuff! Add some Cardassian sunrise! Add some basic Earth Beer! :P
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is a man?

A miserable pile of secrets.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I'm not much of a small dog person, but yeah a Beagle should be added as a pet. I know there was a huge uproar from people because Archer had a dog on board the Enterprise, but in a way it fit the time period. Not to mention the dog(s) was/were better at acting than Bakula.

Not sure why pizza was never a food in Star Trek. Enterprise era I could see it not being there because cheese doesn't last long, and tng on my only guess is that maybe the replicators had problems with pizza...hell according to Tom Paris they couldn't get plain tomato soup right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    CBS dis-allows it ...

Did CBS disallow something big recently? There's like two threads on this on the first page. I guess it's because they down own the JJTrek stuff?
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Animals. Yes. I want a domesticated lynx.

On the other hand, it might create an uproar amongst my Fellow caitian crew members. They'd propably not appreciate their captain having a feline pet...
    /Floozy
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Animals. Yes. I want a domesticated lynx.

On the other hand, it might create an uproar amongst my Fellow caitian crew members. They'd propably not appreciate their captain having a feline pet...

By that logic, humans would be upset if you had a monkey. Or Vulcans if you had a really smug monkey.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there are Alfa-117 Canine - a kind of dog , Epohh - a kind of bunny , Pet Targ - a kind of pig and Sehlat Cub - a kind of cat.
    i know these are not earth animals but it seems a bit pointless replicating something youve already kinda got.

i would like to see the pets a bit more interactive though, not so much the targ but it would be nice with the others if they would jump upon your lap when you sit down or take a nap by your feed when you are standing idle or if you could throw a small ball and they would run and retrieve it for you and so on.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Well it has Banana Split, Chateau Picard, Banana Pancakes, Catfish Sandwich, Coffee, Croissant, Earl Grey Tea, Field Rations, Haggis, Hot Chocolate, Jambalaya, Prune Juice, and Root Beer. The more iconic Star Trek Earth foods have to be added like Root Beer and Earl Grey Tea, but Pizza and Hot Dogs were only briefly mentioned in a few episodes.

This.

And in addition: This is Star Trek. The shows, in my opinion, have always been too human-centric in terms of the ideals, the species portrayed (everyone bipedal, looking and acting like humans), and the cuisine. I like having a wide variety of 'alien' foods to pick from.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The foods are just a waste of inventory space unless you're into tribble breeding.

And there is little point in having cats and dogs as long as there is no system for customizing pet appearance. It would be boring for everyone to have the same ones.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2013

Just realized that list doesn't have aubergine stew. Does the game not have this? Given the fact they incorporated the catfish sandwich, which I think was only mentioned once in Enterprise, you'd think Ben Sisko's specialty would be on the list.
    This.

And in addition: This is Star Trek. The shows, in my opinion, have always been too human-centric in terms of the ideals, the species portrayed (everyone bipedal, looking and acting like humans), and the cuisine. I like having a wide variety of 'alien' foods to pick from.

As to the portrayal, it was necessary from a real world standpoint for just about any sci-fi TV show. There have never been 3 and 4 legged non-humanoid actors, and except for cartoons, for decades its been either impossible or too expensive to have much CGI. I believe the need to explain in story why all races seemed humanoid is what developed the lore concept of a progenitor race seeding humanoid DNA on planets across the galaxy.

As to the alien food, I can remember even as a kid looking at the plates of "alien" food that Kirk was eating in the mess hall. They just weren't named, nor the focus of the story. In reality, the prop department probably cut real fruits and veggies into odd shapes and used food coloring to complete the alien appearance.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm more prone to think that most worlds have equivalents of those foods, thus don't really count as 'ours', as they don't have the "Terran" prefix on them.
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there are Alfa-117 Canine - a kind of dog , Epohh - a kind of bunny , Pet Targ - a kind of pig and Sehlat Cub - a kind of cat.
    i know these are not earth animals but it seems a bit pointless replicating something youve already kinda got.

i would like to see the pets a bit more interactive though, not so much the targ but it would be nice with the others if they would jump upon your lap when you sit down or take a nap by your feed when you are standing idle or if you could throw a small ball and they would run and retrieve it for you and so on.

Now, this would be really funny if they did that when someone threw a grenade...
    Sad part, is that you'd have to spend lots of fleetmarks and dilithium/lobis on buying more dawgs (as provisions)
    /Floozy
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As to the portrayal, it was necessary from a real world standpoint for just about any sci-fi TV show. There have never been 3 and 4 legged non-humanoid actors, and except for cartoons, for decades its been either impossible or too expensive to have much CGI.

Actually Andromeda had the Vedrans who where quadrupeds. You even get to see them once or twice and it's not some thing that if you look really hard in the background you see it, it is right in your face.

So if a low budget sci-fi show can do it why not one with a bigger budget? In Voyager there is even an episode where that talking rat Neelix mentions a quadruped alpha quadrant race.