test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Man Console Set idea

jotorobojotorobo Member Posts: 27 Arc User
Awhile back we had a Fleet member who passed away was a Leader and great friend as well. In his honor we had a memorial Service on Risa and beamed to our ships inside of Risa System, in orbit of the planet, to do a "Missing Man Formation" in our Oddysey Cruisers. The problem became clear when we couldn't stay aligned in formation because of the differences in our Impulse Engines and Skills. My question is: can Perfectworld/Cryptic make what amounts to a console set that when equipped allows for correct alignment and engine settings so this could be performed?
Just an idea which I believe would be well received among the Hundreds and hundreds of Fleets here in STO. Just a thought.

Thanks.
Post edited by jotorobo on

Comments

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jotorobo wrote: »
    Awhile back we had a Fleet member who passed away was a Leader and great friend as well. In his honor we had a memorial Service on Risa and beamed to our ships inside of Risa System, in orbit of the planet, to do a "Missing Man Formation" in our Oddysey Cruisers. The problem became clear when we couldn't stay aligned in formation because of the differences in our Impulse Engines and Skills. My question is: can Perfectworld/Cryptic make what amounts to a console set that when equipped allows for correct alignment and engine settings so this could be performed?
    Just an idea which I believe would be well received among the Hundreds and hundreds of Fleets here in STO. Just a thought.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

As to the console idea - it's a nice thought, but it's ultimately a one-trick pony. There's rarely a need for people to travel at the same speed at impulse. Especially since for the majority of people, when they're not in combat or scanning something they'll be moving at full impulse anyway.

So on that grounds, I can't see them doing it.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can always try to adjust your engine power level to make up for the differences. It may require some tinkering but I bet you could get all in line.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It wasn't for this reason, but I think that something along these lines would be really cool to have, and would make for some nice additions to combat.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can adjust your impuls speed by one quarter, full half 1/4. that. However with keybinds you can change it. I have intervals of 1/5, but you can take anything you want.

You do need to be acquinted with the keybind/command stucture. Flying at the same speed is still amatter of trial and error, same ship, same engine will all help.

It would be awesome if the game would help us more with formation flying. Let's say you pick a leader and then a follow command, with different varieties. Follow90down would place you beside the leader on a lower level.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP: Your fleet and the family of the departed have my sympathies.

It wasn't for this reason, but I think that something along these lines would be really cool to have, and would make for some nice additions to combat.

Napoleonic Wars-style battle lines, perchance?

One broadside not doing the trick? Try five.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • apocalypsex99apocalypsex99 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you hold your mouse over the throttle bar, you can see what your speed is in numbers. You could tell everyone to match that number by clicking and dragging the bar up/down to match.
  • jotorobojotorobo Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you hold your mouse over the throttle bar, you can see what your speed is in numbers. You could tell everyone to match that number by clicking and dragging the bar up/down to match.

Right. We tried that, doesn't work, which is why I posted the idea.
    The Set would not only need to be able to control Engine Speed settings/Power, but it would also need to control the Ship Placement in the Delta Formation Pattern as well.
    edited May 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    OP: Your fleet and the family of the departed have my sympathies.

Napoleonic Wars-style battle lines, perchance?

One broadside not doing the trick? Try five.

Thank You sander233. The 10th Fleet Family appreciates your condolences.
    edited May 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    You can adjust your impuls speed by one quarter, full half 1/4. that. However with keybinds you can change it. I have intervals of 1/5, but you can take anything you want.

You do need to be acquinted with the keybind/command stucture. Flying at the same speed is still amatter of trial and error, same ship, same engine will all help.

It would be awesome if the game would help us more with formation flying. Let's say you pick a leader and then a follow command, with different varieties. Follow90down would place you beside the leader on a lower level.

Right. Like I replied to another post here, we tried that to no avail. The whole thing came out too crooked and slow.
    I could see this set containing an engine for the Team Leader in a team of 5 Ships that allows the Team Leader to be the one in flight control of all 5 ships at one time and when the time comes allows for the right ship to split off from the formation.
    edited May 2013

I agree! Great idea for a combat scenario. Of course, this maybe something Perfectworld could consider when the Admiral Level 60 comes out and later on we get to control a fleet of ships after promoting our Bridge Officers to Captain.