test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

question

akalexiorakalexior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Academy
I've used the launcher often but now I don't know what's with the launcher.
link to picture: http://imgur.com/fojuw41
its been stuck like that whenever I try and log on...dunno if this is because of massive server death

Also on an added note, where's the queue? Sorry - don't know this kind of stuff.
Post edited by akalexior on

Comments

• spaciumindagatorspaciumindagator Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really hate doing this, but I need this post so I can post a question of my own.

And why do I need your post, it's because of...

"Hello Captain!

At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.

Thanks,

The Star Trek Online Community Team
    "

Which is kinda a bull since I played this game at launch and paid for the deluxe edition that allowed Joined Trill creation. But I digress.

MY QUESTION:
    Do I need to buy the romulan expansion pack to be able to play a romulan faction? Or can I just meet some kind of level requirement to do so.

Thanks for answering.
  • kmcmasterskmcmasters Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the OP,

You are likely downloading a 5GB patch for the LoR expansion. Give it some time and it should work.

To the Second Poster,

LoR is completely free to play and you are not required to buy anything to play it. The Packs that are available are for extra content to give you a leg up but are purely optional. The Reman Race can be unlocked by getting Tier 5 Romulan Faction on any other character otherwise must be acquired through the Legacy pack.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    akalexior wrote: »
    I've used the launcher often but now I don't know what's with the launcher.
    link to picture: http://imgur.com/fojuw41
    its been stuck like that whenever I try and log on...dunno if this is because of massive server death

Also on an added note, where's the queue? Sorry - don't know this kind of stuff.

The launcher has been updated, if you're still having problems, make sure you update that.

The queue is only visible if the server is full, otherwise you won't see it.
    I really hate doing this, but I need this post so I can post a question of my own.

And why do I need your post, it's because of...

"Hello Captain!

At this time, you may only post replies to threads that have already been created. After a certain amount of time has passed since your registration date, you will be able to create new threads in forums that allow it.

Thanks,

The Star Trek Online Community Team
    "

Which is kinda a bull since I played this game at launch and paid for the deluxe edition that allowed Joined Trill creation. But I digress.

MY QUESTION:
    Do I need to buy the romulan expansion pack to be able to play a romulan faction? Or can I just meet some kind of level requirement to do so.

Thanks for answering.

The forums aren't tied into your game account directly, and since this is your first posting, your forum account is essentially 'new'.

Also, there is no expansion pack to buy. If you mean the C-Store items, no, you don't need to buy those. For more info, see http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=606891
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hail and well met...

oops wrong game....
    um....

"Live long and prosper"

Howdy,

I have some questions:

First, I can not make my own thread. Question, how do I get access to make my own threads... just post a few times and make sure they are meaningful posts?

Second, i am a lifetime member who 'quit' and has returned. I am wondering how should I proceed? I pretty much quit after a whole month of playing STO when it came out. I did purchase the life time membership. :eek: I have not played after the first month after release. I thought the game was too easy and did not have enough content to keep me interested. (I could close my eyes, go afk, and let me bridge crew kill the mobs on away missions.)

Bottomline: My question is... should I start new and play from the beginning or play with my old character?

Third question, did they increase the difficulty? I want to be able to fail quests and missions. I also want to be able to get frustrated and sometimes think and reason out... how to finish a mission or quest.

Fourth question, what rewards or items do i get as a life time member? Did i lose my life time membership?

Why am I here? The last Trek film... was good. I also started playing Neverwinter with my guild and that game seems solid. I have been experimenting with the Neverwinter foundry and love it - and love the content people have brought out. Then I found out that it came from STO - I did not even know STO had a foundry.

I have been a Star Trek fan ... since the original tos. After seeing the new Trek film and playing the NeverWinter game I am here... is it worth it to try it again?

P.S. When I meant the Trek film was good... i meant afterwards, I wanted to go to a surgeon and have my ears altered to look like a Vulcan for life! So it was... GOOD... :)
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »
    First, I can not make my own thread. Question, how do I get access to make my own threads... just post a few times and make sure they are meaningful posts?

Probably. Honestly, as a lifetime, you should be able to post right away, but I don't think they ever really connected your account status with your forum status all that well, so I'm not really sure what the actual criteria for it is. (According to http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix forum access should be unlimited for everyone but...well, it's not too big a deal, make a few posts, and I'm pretty sure you'll get full access soon enough. Or you can always submit a ticket if you really want.)
    Second, i am a lifetime member who 'quit' and has returned. I am wondering how should I proceed? I pretty much quit after a whole month of playing STO when it came out. I did purchase the life time membership. :eek: I have not played after the first month after release. I thought the game was too easy and did not have enough content to keep me interested. (I could close my eyes, go afk, and let me bridge crew kill the mobs on away missions.)

Bottomline: My question is... should I start new and play from the beginning or play with my old character?

My suggestion would be to make a new character, play through it until you feel you're comfortable and then take a look at your old character and jump in there. You can make your new character a different faction/class so that it will be something different from your old one.

You may also wait until May 21st when the expansion goes live, since obviously there'll be a few big changes there, so if you're going to relearn stuff, might as well do it then instead of relearning things today, then having to relearn a bunch of those things tomorrow.
    Third question, did they increase the difficulty? I want to be able to fail quests and missions. I also want to be able to get frustrated and sometimes think and reason out... how to finish a mission or quest.

No, although they did add different difficulty levels you can switch to. There is Normal, Advanced, and Elite which can give chances at better rewards (it's not guaranteed, you just get a slightly better chance at rewards) as well as the potential to get injuries. If you start a new character, one of the early missions you get will take you to NPCs who will explain exactly how it works.
    Fourth question, what rewards or items do i get as a life time member? Did i lose my life time membership?

Why am I here? The last Trek film... was good. I also started playing Neverwinter with my guild and that game seems solid. I have been experimenting with the Neverwinter foundry and love it - and love the content people have brought out. Then I found out that it came from STO - I did not even know STO had a foundry.

I have been a Star Trek fan ... since the original tos. After seeing the new Trek film and playing the NeverWinter game I am here... is it worth it to try it again?

P.S. When I meant the Trek film was good... i meant afterwards, I wanted to go to a surgeon and have my ears altered to look like a Vulcan for life! So it was... GOOD... :)

You do not lose your life time membership. If you for some reason created a new account instead of converting your old Cryptic account to a Perfect World one though, then it would be a completely separate account without your Lifetime benefits. If you can see your old character though, then it's the same account and you're good. As a lifetime member, you get all the benefits of a gold membership, and access to all Veteran rewards, plus the individual Lifetime membership bonuses, like the Liberated Borg race. For more details see:
    As for if it's worth it to try it again, you're asking the wrong person here. I've been playing since beta and never left, so obviously I think it is. And I'm sure you can find someone else that will tell you it's completely not worth it, and everything in between. Really the only way to find out is to try it yourself. You do have a lifetime membership, and undoubtedly a bunch of Zen saved up from that.
    edited May 2013
    Okay for the expansion tomorrow?

The Romulans... if I want to play them do I have to purchase the pack?

I too played beta - but I am one of those people who loved the challenge - and for me, it got easier and easier and easier. That is why i do not do well on most MMOs... i enjoy challenges. I much rather hit my head on the keyboard, yell at my monitor, and get flustered and frustrated than close my eyes and win. When you know you are going to win no matter what, it is less enjoyable than knowing that you might lose and you can turn that defeat to a victory.

I remember the Briar Patch in closed beta was so difficult, for instance, that if you flew to close to an anomalie that it would destroy your ship. Then it was tweaked down in open beta... where an enemy (or you) had to fire for the anomalies to explode and they would devastate or even destroy your ship.

By retail launch, it was dumbed down ... you could fly into the anomalies, fire at them, and your shields would not even be hurt.

I also remember, during closed and open beta some missions you had to play like Star Fleet command/Star Fleet Battles (the board game) - shield management was crucial... knowing which shield had more power... making sure they shot you on all your shields... protecting your front shield until you are ready to alpha shoot with your photons and primary phasers. By retail.. i went thru most missions straight forward and I rarely had to manuever to bring fresh shields to bear.
    edited May 2013
    I almost forgot... Do Klingons have single player stories or are they just ... used just for PvP?
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I almost forgot... Do Klingons have single player stories or are they just ... used just for PvP?

Wow you really have been gone a long time :D

As of tomorrow, the launch of Legacy Of Romulus - anyone can create a new character (Klingon, Federation, Romulan) at Level 1, and have enough story missions to reach Level 50.

So yes, they have single player stories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay for the expansion tomorrow?

The Romulans... if I want to play them do I have to purchase the pack?

No you don't, you can just log in and play. The pack is just for C-store extras.

With regards to the game being too easy - go to your settings, turn the difficulty up to elite and enjoy.

This will also mean that your ship will get damaged and your player will get injured, so be sure to stock up on Minor, Major and Critical Componants. Minor and Major Regenerators and stick them in your bank so you can heal up! Enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited May 2013
    Out of curiosity ... being a lifetime member does what for me? or did i just throw my money away ... since its F2P ?
    edited May 2013
    Star Trek Online
    Type: Lifetime
    Subscribed For: 1207 days

I looked at my current account it does say this... but I still do not have access to post on the forums... and what do i get for being a Lifetime member?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The LTS gives you all of this and this, and everything under the Gold category here.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • o1derfull1o1derfull1 Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2013
    To Spacium -

Thanks for posing that. I too am a relatively new F2Per and was frustrated by the inability to post a question, and even further stymied by the lack of transparency regarding the criteria to do so. As you fell on your own sword, I am saved the ignominy of having to do the same. Your sacrifice is not in vain, and has afforded me both information I was missing before, and this nifty opportunity to get "good post" credit in the hopes that the powers that be will deign to grant me the unlimited forum access I expected. Gracias.

Ah.... and I found this on an Academy sub-forum sticky:
    "While anyone can read the forums, only Gold Members, and Silver Players who have ever had a subscription or have made a C-Store purchase*, can post in the forums**.

*Purchases using points earned through the Dilithium Currency Exchange in-game do not count.

**Silver Players are able to post in designated boards without meeting the above requirements (which are also set out here)."

/sadpanda

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.