test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pre-Patch Freezing

Comments

• tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I *think* an alternative is to go to the following folder:

Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Star Trek Online/Star Trek Online/Live/prepatch/

Delete the folder marked "piggs" (for me it's the only thing there)

Patch again. You will have to download the entire patch again from scratch.

This *should* clear the block if your download is freezing repeatedly. If you're one of the people on limited bandwidth like me... well, we can all suffer together. I feel your pain.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another stuck pre-patch here... 47%

:rolleyes:

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • africadoctorwhoafricadoctorwho Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is my 4th attempt at Pre Patch.

When Patcher freezes, download is lost.

Can the patch be released for download by p2p, please !
  • chris919ukchris919uk Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As I said earlier I got to 46.5% and it froze. Unlike some suggestions I did not delete the prepatch folder. I swapped the launcher to compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 since I'm running Win 7 in the hope it would prepatch properly. It is now patching about 1100MB of data WTH? Since its now putting that data into the main files not the prepatch folder.

Is this actually something I need Cryptic or is the random nature of the launcher simply deciding I need a lengthy recipe for chops and sauce and other useless data to add to my STO folder? Seriously this games patching is diabolical. I'm going to wait till LOR is released give it till Wednesday copy my install to an external harddrive and patch on a friends computer who has unlimited bandwidth because frankly I'm sick of wasting mine on Cryptic Shannigans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon, taH pagh, taH be"
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Deleting the contents of your prepatch folder DOES NOT fix the problem. It will just freeze again.
  • sangrinesangrine Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After playing and exiting STO (after successfully patching), the launcher tried to re-patch EVERYTHING! 9GB !!!

I quickly closed the launcher. I refuse to re-download the whole game!
    reopened the launcher and clicked force verify. Game starts normally.

be careful when exiting. It will try to re-download everything.

By the way, while all of you are offline, the exchange is going crazy. I've never seen such low prices. My inventory is full of valuable items. running out of EC and inventory/bank slots. hope you all come back soon because I need to sell a lot of stuff.
  • ajandyrooajandyroo Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same story as everyone else: I started the pre-patch, it initially froze at around 40%, and every subsequent time I've tried it it's frozen at under 1%.

Can we please get ANY kind of response from TPTB on this issue? I've been really patient with this game considering the constant server issues, unscheduled downtimes, etc., but my patience is wearing thin.
    edited May 2013
    So a potential fix to this issue is to download the tribble client and let it patch from there, or disable on demand patching in the game client, download the 4GB+ update and THEN try pre patching... now I know the tribble client fix works, but can anyone confirm if the other method I mentioned works as well? It would be faster to DL a 4GB patch for holodeck than the 9GB tribble client after all
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So a potential fix to this issue is to download the tribble client and let it patch from there, or disable on demand patching in the game client, download the 4GB+ update and THEN try pre patching... now I know the tribble client fix works, but can anyone confirm if the other method I mentioned works as well? It would be faster to DL a 4GB patch for holodeck than the 9GB tribble client after all

Thanks pal your more help than cryptic lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
    edited May 2013

So far so good, try this guys :)
    edited May 2013
    Tried everything you mentioned, still zip

Come on Cryptic please give us sign here!
  • stotchastotcha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disable On Demand Patching worked for me, thankfully...because after the 5th time trying to DL it, checking that option made it happen.
  • ademayafcademayafc Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So far, I have tried everyones options and nothing has worked...
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried disabling on demand patching, and both times my launcher crashed - AFTER it had downloaded around 50%.

I then got the tribble test server, patched that, exited, loaded up regular server, and I'm currently prepatching now.

I really hope this works.

Cryptic, get a ******n torrent distribution up and running. Jesus.
  • avatar2388avatar2388 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have not Tribble char !
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great, launcher crashed whilst prepatching. Another hour and a bit wasted. More bandwidth wasted.

Good job Cryptic.
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disabling on-demand patching seems to have worked for me for about 5 seconds, and then it froze again. Awesome :( It freezes pretty much immediately, and AFAIK I was only able to DL 35% of it before it stopped patching (after initially leaving my PC on overnight to finish the 9.8GB patch).

Would be nice to have an option to re-launch the pre-patcher without having to log all the way into the game and then log back out. But even then, I'd probably still be stuck in the mud.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • kakarot069kakarot069 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dont really know where to post this...

correct me if I'm wrong, but i do believe this 5Gb download is for the update of the new character creator layout. my download always freezes before it finishes... is there an external link where i can download it, because I'm tired of it not finishing the download... unless this is only temporary
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ill add my name to the list
  • gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having the same issues as well.

I've tried a dozen times mostly freezing at 1% or once reaching 34% and stopping again, but otherwise not getting too far.

Its also extremely stupid that it cannot handle a partial download and work in stages - downloading a massive patch over and over again is going to breach my ISP bandwidth limits simply because Cryptic are incompetent.
  • sebastioncanesebastioncane Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yesterday when the prepatch for Lor came out I had the patch freeze up at 42%, so I disabled the on demand patching and I was able to complete the patch, now I have another window popping up today with another patch that won't load at all, is this the same patch from yesterday that has just completed ? or another needed patch for LOR?
    I tried disabling and enabling the on demand thing but this next patch sits at Zero percent and does nothing
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if it's the 5882 mb thing, me too!
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stotcha wrote: »
    Disable On Demand Patching worked for me, thankfully...because after the 5th time trying to DL it, checking that option made it happen.

I dont get this, is "Disable On Demand Patching" suppose to be on or off? I have had it on.. but it keeps freezing, Trying a reinstall now.
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine froze at 47%.
    Sounds like there isn't a fix/workaround for it...and I'm not going to d/l the Tribble client.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
    edited May 2013
    Well it turns out Disable on demand patching doesn't affect this problem at all. Right now the only workaround is to patch Tribble... or wait for a fix from Cryptic.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait for a fix from Cryptic?

>.>

<.<

Bwahahaha

Seriously though, add me to the list of people who can't get the prepatch to get past 50%. I've tried downloading this thing 3 times and every time it gets to around 46% and I get an error and the launcher crashes. I restart the launcher and log in/log out to get it started again and end up having to start all over from 0%.

I'm going to try the Tribble workaround later since I have no faith in this prepatch debacle being fixed in time for LoR.

Prove me wrong, Cryptic.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, still no reply from Cryptic. I'm beginning to have a baaaaaad feeling about the whole update :(
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so im guessing its broken seen as others are committing on the same problem im having.

bad cryptic a other release all f*&^%d up
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just want to say, "Good luck. We're all counting on you."
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did most suggestions about that Cryptic mail from buf0rdtjust1ce (post #8) and now I got a patch of 5993 Mb when logging into the launcher. Currently at 90% and still going.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!