What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Romulan Ship Designs

Comments

• Options
    twistedvaccinetwistedvaccine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) It's a fan made design. That by itself makes it an effective no-go.

2) It's a slightly tweaked Mogai

So was the Odyssey and technically the Chimera Heavy Destroyer.. Cryptic just tweaked them a bit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So was the Odyssey and technically the Chimera Heavy Destroyer.. Cryptic just tweaked them a bit

Which were both part of a contest, and not a google search.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Which were both part of a contest, and not a google search.

And given the amount of grief Cryptic got as a result of said contest, there won't likely be another one anytime soon.
  • Options
    twistedvaccinetwistedvaccine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They were lazy for the Chimera and just used a runner up to the Odyssey contest.

The point im getting at, is that design is a lot more canon to the Romulan ship designs of the 24th Century than the 3 that the Cryptic crew have spewed out..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you make some good points. 1 of them ships the d'shara actually would look like a romulan raptor class kinda ship. but lets face it. not every ship is going to look as cool as the d'deridex and mogai. the bar is set massively high!!! and therefore cryptic in my eyes was always going to struggle to blow our minds away with orginal designs. not really their fault.

also maybe a future ship competition is needed. for future ship releases. 1 for rom, 1 for fed 1 for kdf.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They were lazy for the Chimera and just used a runner up to the Odyssey contest.

The point im getting at, is that design is a lot more canon to the Romulan ship designs of the 24th Century than the 3 that the Cryptic crew have spewed out..

You really need to learn what the term "canon" means.
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously some of the existing designs in game dating from the early days of STO are far worse than anything they are introducing now. Yes there are better designs out there, but the hassle to get the copyright to use them is just more trouble than it's probably worth for Cryptic.

At least they aren't just copying the same old, they are trying to bring something new and fresh to the game which I respect a lot.

This. I quite like several of the new designs, but regardless of people's personal taste what's important is that they are new designs. I know a lot of STO players are only interested in indulging their own nostalgic wish-fulfillment, but some of us are interested in seeing the 2409 aesthetic and world developed to the point that they stand on their own, rather than just being a dumping ground for all the Trek fans alienated by the new movies.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, Cryptics ships are usually not that great. But then again the Mogai as well as the D'Deridex have excellent fleet versions. No need to fly what you don't like at max level.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • Options
    msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I think that while the Ha'apax and its associated ships look pretty meh, I really like the aesthetic of the Valdore and the Drid'thau. The Drid'thau looks horrible in still shots and thumbnails, yes, but it really is quite cool when you look at it up close in game. The screens don't really communicate that the entire hull, both top and bottom, is swept down and forward, like a bi-winged Valdore. It has a really intimidating shape, and while the nose could be better, I would probably fly a Drid'thau over a standard D'deridex any day.

I also really like the vaguely crystalline texture to the warp nacelles, I didn't think it would really translate well in game but in my opinion it does.

I can understand why the Ha'feh and the Ha'nom warbirds don't look great, while I'm sure Cryptic would have designed different tier 5 free warbirds for each ship type, it makes sense to just use the models from the Ha'apax' separated ships to fill the need now.

I'll be quite interested to see what the Veteran ship/shuttle and Timeship will look like.
  • Options
    nightsoft33nightsoft33 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kwiat007 wrote: »
    I also don't like the new cryptic's designs for warbirds (except for valdore, it's OK).
    Those ships except for colors have very little in common with canon ships and thus don't "feel" romulan.
    The D'ridthau is an abomination, it lost all the elegnce the D'deridex has, it looks like a heavy brick.

Here are some of the fan-made designs I like, I know cryptic can't add them to the game, but they can use them as inspiration.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/samsonfoodstore/KM%20shots%2026th%20sept/newromulanships.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/samsonfoodstore/KM%20shots%2026th%20sept/newromulanships1.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/samsonfoodstore/KM%20shots%2026th%20sept/Romulansshipsnew2.jpg

Those ships are my designs. I have others that have been released for Romulans as well.
    Raven Night

Modeler, Mesh mechanic, designer
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is the D'Deridex in the game? It is? And it looks like it did on the shows?

Ok then I'm good. The rest of the Romulan fleet can look like flying poos for all I care.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    variant37 wrote: »
    Is the D'Deridex in the game? It is? And it looks like it did on the shows?

Ok then I'm good. The rest of the Romulan fleet can look like flying poos for all I care.

Yep, they did a great job with the canon Romulans ships, the D'Deridex especially looks awesome.

I'm not impressed by the original design ships but I can see the design aesthetic they're going for, and I'm sure many people will like them.
  • Options
    twoblindmonkstwoblindmonks Member Posts: 255
    edited May 2013
    The Dhelan has grown on me. I don't hate it now. I don't love it either. But am ok flying it.

The Ha'Feh is an ok look to me. BUT the name is kind of meh. I mean feh. I mean, god I hate even typing it. So I might just start calling it the pickleboat. It's green and is shaped like a dill pickle kind of.

I hate the Dhelan. It has TRIBBLE. Literally. I mean what else is that huge meaningless purposeless bump on its underside? And yeah, double wings for no reason much? Blech.

The He'Feh, aside from the name, actually looks quite cool to me. It looks like a huge updated inspiration of the T1 romulan ship (the TOS one).

Btw I firmly believe that the romulan ships should look a lot more like Amarr ships from EVE.

For instance numbers 1 and 4 at: http://torvikreviews.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/my-top-10-best-looking-eve-online-ships/

(add wings of some kind to 1, of course)

This one: http://www.eveonlineships.com/immagini/examples/amarr_battlecruiser_harbinger.jpg

This one:
    http://evepics.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/eppunisherretract.jpg

Add wings to this:
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3025/2668550574_6815b2d31b.jpg

Yeah, Amarr, ftw!
    edited May 2013
    Some of them are not particularly great, but at least the model and textures are of a high quality. We are not exactly in Celestial and Envoy territory here.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    alikainalikain Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That funny because that ship you just posted the D'shara class is actually called the shadow-class from the Star Trek armada 2. It's a Science Vessel. "The Tal'shair, having need of a vessel more suited to their covert operations, assembled the greatest military scientists in the star empire. The culmination of their effect resulted in the shadow-class. The technology on board the shadow is extremely classified, so much so that even members of the Romulan senate are not "officially" aware of its existence. The shadow comes equipped with holo-emitter, energy -shield converter, phase cloak and psychonic blast." That from the player manual from Star Trek armada2. I have seen Similar design somewhere that all I can say.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Those ships are my designs. I have others that have been released for Romulans as well.

That is not fan made ship, that is from the game Star Trek armada 2 its called the veles-class.
    "You ask why we give our ships computer normal emotions. Do you really want a warship incapable of loyalty?"
  • Options
    subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hate the Dhelan.

Me too, but what I Think is the major problem is the "star" thing in the aft.. dont know what it is, but it looks like an a*us...
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I must say, not crazy with the design direction Cryptic has been taking with the ships at all, but then again, I'm not terribly thrilled with the direction they are going in with LoR at all...

I do like the canon ships however, althought they notably seem to have less customization options than their KDF/FED counterparts.

The original designs, for the most part, look really, really bad, imo.They are either way to angular, like the tier 2 warbird-or are way too bulky and lumpy, and don't embody the romulan design aesthetics of predatory grace at all. The oversized warp pylons onmany of the ships reminds me of the trend in some MMOs towards ridiculously oversized shoulderpads, weapons, etc-and not in a good way. It seems more like they tried to come up with 'badass' ship designs and only considered ROmulan aesthetics as an afterthought, IMO-but then again I am of the opinion that this is similar to their treatment for the faction as a whole.
  • Options
    longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited May 2013
    Give it some times, some designs might grow on you.

I like the Dhelan by now for instance. Valdore and D'drithau look good to me. I am struggling with the latest design added to the Legacy Pack, but I hope it's just the angles they showed it.

I blame the separation feature for the lack of extras on the upper side of the Ha'feh. Never quite got it why people seem so obsessed with this feature when all it produced so far were headless chicken Starfleet Cruisers. The Romulan take on it is better but I would not have missed it.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    That is not fan made ship, that is from the game Star Trek armada 2 its called the veles-class.

Only if you're very creative when comparing the ships.;)
    The Veles class looks like this:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Veles_class
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Only if you're very creative when comparing the ships.;)
    The Veles class looks like this:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Veles_class

No Sir that the raptor class, I have the game and the manual. What is post in memory-beta is a mistake.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Raptor_class_(Romulan) this is what veles -class look in game.
  • Options
    sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You people are so negative. Give the devs a break! The new ships are perfectly fine. You are such whiners.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just want my Romulan Scout Ship.

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200508/tng-224-romulan-science-vessel/320x240.jpg

That is elegant ship design.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Romulan designs are epic. I like the H.... (big X-wing tier 5 ship) ... it's pulled me away from the "Scimitar want thread"
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The Romulan designs are epic. I like the H.... (big X-wing tier 5 ship) ... it's pulled me away from the "Scimitar want thread"

Most of the new designs make me fell meh. But the new Haakona really caught my eye, it is quite purrty. Can't wait to destroy my first Death Sta.....errrr I mean Borg Cube.
  • Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alikain wrote: »
    No Sir that the raptor class, I have the game and the manual. What is post in memory-beta is a mistake.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Raptor_class_(Romulan) this is what veles -class look in game.
    Your link doesn't lead anywhere, you meant this ship:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Raptor_class_(Romulan)

Look at those ships again:
    http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/d/dc/Romulan_Raptor_Armada.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/samsonfoodstore/KM%20shots%2026th%20sept/newromulanships.jpg

Those are clearly two different ship designs.
    Where can I see the rest?
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Ha?apax .... Looks like a #enis...REALLY ?

Several of the recent designs are highly phallic. The Peghqu' is literally a giant flying space wiener.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    arcticlight762arcticlight762 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do think the X-wing designs need to stop, however that did not stop me from purchasing the big pack.

I used to think a lot of the Klink ships were ugly but now I'm used to them :D
  • Options
    wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I... I like the Dhelan. It and the Mogai where my favourite Rom ships when I was testing. This is however all pointless, I already know I'll be flying the Valdore/D'deridex when I hit Sub-Admiral.

I'm determined to make the D'deridex a beast ^_^
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
  • Options
    daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If that's true.. (Internet and all...) Would you be willing to give Cryptic your designs for the 'betterment of the game'?

:D