test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'09 Constitution

tinman56tinman56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So, I've been using my old constitution in game for a few hours, and I started wondering about something. I apologise if this has been asked many times before, but what's the stance on using the new film constitution class ship in game? It looks different enough to be considered a different version. Could that ship be included in-game, even as a low tier choice? Or is that restricted for reasons?
===========
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
Post edited by tinman56 on

Comments

• msk5msk5 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its a rights issue, Cryptic has the rights to ships from the first ten movies and all the shows, which reside with CBS. The rights to everything in Abrams Trek belong to Paramount.

So, unless they sign a deal (which I find unlikely) there will not be any ships from ST2009 or Into Darkness showing up in STO.
  • tinman56tinman56 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think I might have heard that reason before actually, ahh well, I am a bit of an airhead. Thanks then, I guess a souped up hot rod enterprise in space was never meant to beee. Except in the movies of course.
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah... Not the best signiture, but it's my first time using an advanced image editing program, so... woo!
  • dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can always try the Exeter, it's not quite JJ but it's not THAT far off either.
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
    edited May 2013
    I actually use parts from all of the variants, it looks pretty good together. But you're right, what we have now isn't really THAT much of a difference from the JJ connie. I guess we don't really need it anyway :)
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought Paramount OK'd it way back in early 2010, like they had it all set up and ready to go, and were going to package it with those Abrams-style Uniforms they had designed and shown in Beta.

But there was some issue with Atari and it being based in Europe that threw the whole deal off. I think Emmert or Zinc mentioned it in a podcast from back in beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, I'm surprised JJ and co. aren't tripping over themselves to allow the JJprise in STO. More exposure = more movie sales. And it would even settle the T5 Connie debate!

They could even do a JJverse lockbox: Feds get JJprise, KDF gets the new D7 design, and Romulans get a new T'liss design. Lobi ships could be the Jellyfish shuttle and maybe some of the other designs from the JJ movies. And the Narada's missile launcher would be fun as well.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. No rights to it.
    2. Wrong universe.
    3. that Enterprise is 2x the size of our 1701
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The JJ ship is twice the size of the original?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the gripping hand, it's not in the STO universe, and so far there have no interuniversal portals to any but the Mirror U. You might as well wish for an Executor-class Super Star Destroyer, or the INSS MacArthur.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise)

Measurements for this version's final size range from 610 meters to 910 meters.[11][12][13][14] In an interview in Cinefex magazine No. 118, Industrial Light & Magic Art Director Alex Jaeger discussed the design's growth in size during early production of the film, saying "The reconfigured ship was a larger vessel than previous manifestations ? approximately 1,200 feet (370 m) long compared to the 947 foot (289 m) ship of the original series. Once we got the ship built and started putting it in environments it felt too small. The shuttle bay gave us a clear relative scale ? shuttles initially appeared much bigger than we had imagined ? so we bumped up the Enterprise scale, which gave her a grander feel and allowed us to include more detail." A special feature on starships in the Blu-ray Disc (BD) version of the movie gives the length as 2,379 feet (725 m).
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    msk5 wrote: »
    Its a rights issue, Cryptic has the rights to ships from the first ten movies and all the shows, which reside with CBS. The rights to everything in Abrams Trek belong to Paramount.

So, unless they sign a deal (which I find unlikely) there will not be any ships from ST2009 or Into Darkness showing up in STO.

thank f for that! i dont want jjabramscrap on sto.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited May 2013
    ===========
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]