test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Proposal for the RP Minded - Era Specific SB 1

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I would like to propose the creation of era specific instances aboard Starbase I.

Cryptic has gone out of it's way to provide players with the means to recreate several eras of uniforms and vessels from the history of Star Trek, so to me, this would be the next logical step.

I am proposing the creation of 3 unique instances of Starbase I. The instances would be as follows:

Earth Spacedock TOS (RP)

Earth Spacedock TOS RP would be a unique instance of Earth Spacedock, dedicated to the pioneering days of Starfleet (2250's & 2260's). This instance would be a dedicated RP instance, so the rules would suggest that to occupy this instance, you would need to be in a TOS or TOS MU uniform and variations thereof. This instance would not be part of the regular Starbase I instance rotation, meaning you wouldn't just end up in it, but rather, you would be required to change to the instance if you want to be there, just like if you were going to visit your bridge. I envision for this instance, a Starbase I where the decor would match the decor found in Starfleet installations during the TOS era. For reference, episodes that contain Starbase / Space Station decor from the era are "Court Martial" (TOS, Season 1) and "Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS, Season 2). I see the decor being in bright, vibrant colors, with the occasional pipes along the wall marked GNDN, and those groovy plastic chairs that Starfleet seemed to love. In edition to period decor, the alien NPCs would be restricted to only aliens which were known to Starfleet in the TOS era. (So, for example, there would be no Ferengi, since Starfleet didn't make "official" first contact until the TNG era.)

Earth Spacedock TMP (RP)

Earth Spacedock TMP RP would be a unique instance of Earth Spacedock, dedicated to the days of Starfleet as they were portrayed in Star Trek The Motion Picture, through the opening of Star Trek: Generations (2270's thru 2290's). This instance would be a dedicated RP instance, so the rules would suggest that to occupy this instance, you would need to be in a Wrath of Khan uniform and variations thereof. As with the TOS instance, this instance would not be part of the regular Starbase I instance rotation, meaning you wouldn't just end up in it, but rather, you would be required to change to the instance if you want to be there. I envision for this instance, a Starbase I where the decor would match the decor found in Starfleet installations during the TMP era. In particular, I'm thinking of the lounge scene where Kirk has a drink with Bennett, before stealing the Enterprise, or the control center as the Enterprise is docking on her return home in ST III. For reference, the movies Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search For Spock and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country could be used to model the decor. In edition to period decor, the alien NPCs would be restricted to only aliens which were known to Starfleet in the TMP era.

Earth Spacedock TNG (RP)

Earth Spacedock TNG RP would be a unique instance of Earth Spacedock, dedicated to the days of Starfleet as they were portrayed in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis (2360's thru 2380's). This instance would be a dedicated RP instance, so the rules would suggest that to occupy this instance, you would need to be in a TNG / DS9 / VOY uniform and variations thereof. As with the TOS & TMP instances, this instance would not be part of the regular Starbase I instance rotation, meaning you wouldn't just end up in it, but rather, you would be required to change to the instance if you want to be there. I envision for this instance, a Starbase I where the decor would match the decor found in Starfleet installations during the TNG era. Here I'm seeing Corridors that look like they belong aboard the Enterprise D, or Voyager, and stylistic hints from the interiors of Starfleet Headquarters that we saw during Sisko's visit to Earth. For reference, there are many episodes of TNG and DS9 which could be used to reflect the Starbase interiors of the era.

Finally, if Cryptic ever decides to create a playable NX class ship, along with ENT era uniforms, a 4th RP instance could be added for the "Archer" days of Earth Starfleet, with all NPCs being Human or Vulcan. But mostly Human.

Please note, this is meant to be a suggestion for RP minded people. I understand the work that would be involved in creating these instances, and it would be a long term project. But, I think it would go a long ways towards offering players a small chance to interact in an enviornment, outside of their ship bridge, in their favorite Starfleet eras, based on the shows they love. Furthermore, I think it would go a long ways towards stimulating and enhancing the RP community within the game, by giving them some unique environments to play out their Star Trek fantasies within.

Thank you for your time. Any other suggestions would be welcome, and discussion is encouraged. But please be respectful. I don't want to see this turn into a debate about "Cryptic has bigger priorities" or "Klingons need work first." I am aware that other things need to be addressed as well. Like I said, this is a proposal for a long term project, something for the developers to look into for an unspecified time down the road.

Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is an awesome idea!
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcconnamcconna Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How would someone enforce these uniform rules and conduct? GM's? Not only are you asking the devs to make custom instances for 3 different era's, but also suggesting only people who have certain uniforms can even join those instances. I see nothing wrong with the initial idea of different designs of ESD, but you lost me at the rules part. Since you then segregate the playerbase, not only by rp and non-rp, but even by those who buy all the uniforms and those who don't.
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has noone noticed this thread is 2 years 11 months old and last posted on?
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    mcconnamcconna Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has noone noticed this thread is 2 years 11 months old and last posted on?

lol Didn't notice, guess I was a victim of a necro poster bumping it. :P

EDIT: Closed for necroing an old thread. Remember, if a thread has been inactive for 30 days, you should not post to it. Feel free to create a new thread on the subject if you would like to discuss further :) ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.