test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recording Questions

snebzsnebz Member Posts: 46 Arc User
If there is a better place for this post to go, please direct me there. :)
Does anyone know of a program/way that can record output from an RGB cable, and make it into a video?
Say I wanted to record STO, and I had an RGB cable on hand, (that cord that hooks up a computer to a monitor) could I hook two computers together and have the receiver record the output from the cable?
My guess is that I would need some/a splitter(s), and a special program.
It does not matter whether anything is Mac or PC specific, I have the availability of both.
I am.....
THE HAPPY ADMIRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post edited by snebz on

Comments

• anarricanarric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're post/question is alittle confusing (to me anyways)
    I'll start with what I gathered from your question "do you know a program to record STO"
    Fraps used to be really great at recording game footage, and even had special tools for special effects (bullet time etc). You don't need any special cables/adapters for this because it takes it from inside the game.
    record output from an RGB cable, and make it into a video?
    This is what confuses me. Computer to Monitor uses DVI Cables, VGA, and new ones even use HDMI. If you are trying to say connect TV to computer and record, you will need a TV Turner to connect the composite cables of your cable box to the computer. Most TV Turners will have the software needed to watch and record TV with it, and now you can find USB turners as well.

If you are trying to just record games, I would suggest looking into Fraps and/or similar software. If you can see it, and play it, you can already record it. No need for extra hardware and cables.

Hope this helps! :)
  • snebzsnebz Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have both heard of and use Fraps, but, only the demo version.
    Re-write of my question :) :
    Say I am using a Laptop that has an RGB output on the side of it.
    Could I take an RGB Cable hook up that laptop, (using an RGB cable) to, say, an Apple Macintosh Pro, in hopes that the Pro could receive the signal that the cable is transmitting, and save it in an understandable and usable video format?
    The reason I would choose such hullabaloo over simply buying Fraps, is because when you buy Fraps you only get one download on one machine, and that is a bad choice for me right now.
    So, I am wondering if such a thing is an option.
    Thanks for any and all answers. :)
    I am.....
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you have another computer capable of receiving and recording from an RGB cable, and have an RGB output, then yes, in theory you should be able to do that. It... seems a bit kludgy and overcomplicated, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Back when TV tuners were expensive and hard drives just weren't big enough to record video, I did something similar with S-video output to a TV and recording it with a VCR.
  • snebzsnebz Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know of a Mac or Windows program that would record such an input?
    I am.....