test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exobiologist And Stasis Field

boootzboootz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
I purchased a romulan mk xi science kit today. I do not like it. I think stasis field is under powered to the point of being useless.

If you do any damage what so ever it breaks the stasis. I tried to stasis some Alpha's in Mine Trap today to no effect, and I have 6 points in the relevant skill. The blue Romulan doffs which add damage to the ability only add 9 damage over 18 seconds... Useless. I highly doubt once I am able to purchase purple doffs that I will notice a significant difference.

I can live with the other abilities, I can understand the main role of this kit as a buffer/debuffer... With anesthasine gas and biofilter sweep, however where does stasis field fit in this? It is the premiere ability and it is utterly useless.

I usually use the physicist and medic kits, swapping them as needed. Both of these kits are actually useful for their purposes.

Exobiologist needs some love. I would suggest making stasis unbreakable and upping the damage the doffs provide SIGNIFICANTLY or replacing the ability with something new.
Post edited by boootz on

Comments

• Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The way to use Fragile Controls, like Stasis Field, is to make use of (Team) Attack My Target. That way your Boffs aren't shooting what you don't want them to shoot at. Ideally speaking, you'd be using your Zone Pause button so as to be able to issue orders to your Boffs (in "zero time") so that they'll shoot anything BUT what you're putting Stasis Field on. The design intent of Fragile Controls like Stasis Field is to be able to "neutralize" Foes out of a fight, deferring their participation in combat until you and your Boffs have been able to remove a substantial number of the "small fry" around the big hard target you're trying to Control.

The *problem* with that, of course, is that it's a whole lot of extra work for remarkably little gain. You wind up having to jump through a series of hoops (no missing or stumbling!) in order to make Fragile Holds "work" for you. You have to redesign your entire playstyle and attack priorities around leveraging the Fragile Controls so that they WORK AT ALL for you. Ultimately, a lot of people come to the same conclusion you have ... they're more trouble than they're worth.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Boss enemies have strong resistance to holds, as you've discovered.

The best use of holds like stasis field is to take one enemy temporarily out of play while you deal with another, or to give mortars/grenades/orbital strikes a clear shot at a stationary target. Or to allow you to circle around for a flank shot.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because on top of the Healer/Buffer/Debuffer, Science has another role available to it, the Crowd Control role, which is why you have Stasis Field...a Single Target Mezz, as it were, using standard MMO speak...and everyone knows that Mezzes, unlike Stuns, are easily broken by damage.
  • Options
    boootzboootz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only time I've ever had it be somewhat useful is in CGE while protecting transformers.

In every other circumstance it is more beneficial to use a different kit.