test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Cryptic ready?

spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
Who here thinks that Cryptic will be ready for the onslaught of people logging on when Legacy is released?

I expect server lag, crashes and long que's. Holla if you agree.
Post edited by spearhawk2013 on

Comments

• Options
    ricorosebudricorosebud Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Who here thinks that Cryptic will be ready for the onslaught of people logging on when Legacy is released?

OF COURSE they are ready! NWO opened it's gates and it has been nothing but smooth sailing, didn't you notice?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nope.

Expect massive downtime.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope we'll crash NWO, the time for revenge has come :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fleetadmcassityfleetadmcassity Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    :cool:

As with all things in the past few months ... it has been a learning experience for Cryptic.
    • The First Hour is the most Crucial
    • Anticipate the load, Add more servers

In being generous and positive ... I give a 70% (ready) -- 30% (not ready)
    Fleet Admiral Cassity
    Delta Fleet
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    I hope we'll crash NWO, the time for revenge has come :)

Ummm STO already did seeing as the influx of Players on both NW and STO overloaded the network, and all games were down.

If anything CO players have been getting screwed
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I highly doubt they are ready.Season 4 caught them off guard. Season 5, nothing learned from the rush, train wreck, Season 6 same thing, Season 7 even worse with crashes and lag.

Now we have the first expansion and it's looking fantastic, but already we had the servers go down how many times? (General Server Stability my a...) People are still complaining about lag hell constantly in-game, I know one guy who has to run the game in safe mode every time they release a patch just to get to the character screen.

I really doubt they are ready, and I really doubt anything has been learned from previous releases. I hear a train whistle in the distance, let's hope they figure out how to avert the inevitable wreck before it happens and time's a ticking, Pakled World, you only have 2 weeks to get your act together...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since we are all mature and rational people, we of course understand the issue at hand, a lot of people at once with hardware that has finite resources, thus we will all remain patient with the understanding of the situation.
  • Options
    vhylevhyle Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suspect, there will be a lot of Gorn talk, along with lots of youtube video postings. Most will be hilarious, a lot won't be.

There will also be the self entitled lot, who by not understanding anything, will want everything under the sun, then stfu once the game is running just fine, and will never ask for anything again until the next crash. They never receive anything for all the whailing they do, but I guess it's this thing where if you scream over and over again to infinity, you just might get something. You won't though, so I wish they would stop posting that stuff.

We'll probably have a post that reaches the maximum pages, it will be closed, then another will be started, reach max posts, it'll also close, and we'll have yet another. I suspect we'll have about 10 of these before things are righted, but that's just a low ball guess.

I'll assume there will be lots of lag, those of you who are not LTS or Gold, will be stuck waiting in queue for hours; yes hours not minutes. Everyone who used to play, who are currently not playing, will be logging back in for the first time in years, plus the people who were on break for the last few months will also be wanting to log in. Then you have the compete new players who see Romulans, will want to play because Romulans.

We'll have good ole Bran Flakes telling us and letting us know 20 minutes late that they are working on the problems, then tell us 20 minutes late that the server is back up. It's ok Branny, we know you are slow, it's just something to point out. No diss on you.

So, that should sum things up. All this will take place in just a 30 minute span, because that's how long I think the server will hold before it explodes, and that is a generous time span. As their track record shows, they are never ready, and this will show in this new release. It's going to be so bad, it's going to make all the other seasons pale in comparison to what we'll see on the 21st.

Yes, wall of text. TLDR: Think the Mayan End of the World Scenario.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    might be wise if they did not allow everyone on at once

perhaps Golds and lifers on the 21st and silvers on the 22nd?

so we aren't all down loading at once
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    might be wise if they did not allow everyone on at once

perhaps Golds and lifers on the 21st and silvers on the 22nd?

so we aren't all down loading at once

Except Silver players pay most of Cryptic's wages despite what some Gold and Lifers may think, so I doubt they will do that.

Also Lifers get priority still and just have to wait behind the other lifers.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silvers account for almost none of the income I would think (most of them grind dilith which is then traded for zen paid for by golds )

in any case in a free to play game the FTP player is not anything special

however if you prefer we can reverse it and let them download on the 21st and the rest of us on the 22nd
    but either way if we ALL do it at once we are looking at 5 hour patch times again minimum
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It'll be exciting, that's for sure !

I haven't had a chance to play the stuff on tribble, so I'll be climbing the walls to play when It's released.

Cryptic's done one hell of a job getting us excited for this !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    With NWNs already taxing the servers LoR is going to be painful. Unless Cryptic is upgrading new servers into the system to increase capacity before the 21st I'm not expecting things to go smoothly for the end of May. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since we are all mature and rational people, we of course understand the issue at hand, a lot of people at once with hardware that has finite resources, thus we will all remain patient with the understanding of the situation.
    You managed to type all that out without falling down laughing? I'm impressed!
    neoakiraii wrote:
    If anything CO players have been getting screwed.
    Yeah, but we're used to that by now - it's been going on for a year or so, after all. Might be nice to get a reach-around once in a while, though...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Except Silver players pay most of Cryptic's wages despite what some Gold and Lifers may think, so I doubt they will do that.

Also Lifers get priority still and just have to wait behind the other lifers.

I beg to differ with this statement. I paid for the legacy pack, I also spend anywhere from 20$ to a hundred dollars almost weekly. Whatever mad money I have usually.

I think we may have to move away from the misconception that lifers pay for their lifetime subscription and then that's it.

In my case, and I'm sure some others, it's just flat wrong.

Cryptic does a swell job enticing money out of us all. Gold, silvers alike.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I beg to differ with this statement. I paid for the legacy pack, I also spend anywhere from 20$ to a hundred dollars almost weekly. Whatever mad money I have usually.

I think we may have to move away from the misconception that lifers pay for their lifetime subscription and then that's it.

In my case, and I'm sure some others, it's just flat wrong.

Cryptic does a swell job enticing money out of us all. Gold, silvers alike.

Yeah but they're not getting money from the lifetime payment anymore it's all the other stuff that is the bulk of cash players are paying for.The only difference some silver players said TRIBBLE paying for a gold or a lifer, I'll just buy the ships outright.

Hence why we get new lock boxes more then new Gold or lifer rewards, it was simpler to just combine them.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    HHAHA i for sure know they arent ready. 3 years now.. and they still havent figured how to run their game.. no affence. I love the game, but dam, put some money into some new shiney hardware and make this game shine.. really shine. Lag in an mmo is a killer thing. I expect launch day to consist of alot of disconnects, forum rage, and alot of "Thank you for your patience" messages from mr flakes.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love my priority queing :D
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait, didn't you all hear the tribble test weekend reward is a bottle of lube to make the 21st less painful...granted you can't claim it for a few weeks after launch, but it's the thought that counts right??

on a serious note...

Cryptic is finally completing the only trinity in Star Trek that matters: Federation, Klingon and Romulan, and on top of all that they are implementing the most game-wide changes since launch. There is one thing that no matter if you are Lifer, Gold, silver, Just returning, or brand new will hold for all of us, The first few weeks after launch are going to be pure hell.

No offense to Cryptic, but I don't think they have the slightest clue what they are about to unleash. For that matter I don't think anyone can even imagine what this is actually going to be like. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw outages that lasted for days, not hours.

Despite the Romulan Faction being much more "watered down" you'd better believe I'll be right there with the rest of the idiots trying to log in the second the servers come back up when it launches. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vhylevhyle Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    Wait, didn't you all hear the tribble test weekend reward is a bottle of lube to make the 21st less painful...granted you can't claim it for a few weeks after launch, but it's the thought that counts right??

on a serious note...

Cryptic is finally completing the only trinity in Star Trek that matters: Federation, Klingon and Romulan, and on top of all that they are implementing the most game-wide changes since launch. There is one thing that no matter if you are Lifer, Gold, silver, Just returning, or brand new will hold for all of us, The first few weeks after launch are going to be pure hell.

No offense to Cryptic, but I don't think they have the slightest clue what they are about to unleash. For that matter I don't think anyone can even imagine what this is actually going to be like. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw outages that lasted for days, not hours.

Despite the Romulan Faction being much more "watered down" you'd better believe I'll be right there with the rest of the idiots trying to log in the second the servers come back up when it launches. :D

I will as well, tbh. I'm such a Romulan fan, that I cannot keep myself from waiting. I at least have a plan for when the game is down for days, but it won't be fun at all to have to wait to play.

I fell in love with the Romulans immediately when I first saw them. I was really sad when I couldn't play one at the launch of this game, but since I've been able to play again, I've been extremely excited about the prospect of finally being able to create the character I've only dreamt of playing.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm gonna hide under my bed for a day or so. Hopefully it'll be stable by then.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vhyle wrote: »
    I will as well, tbh. I'm such a Romulan fan, that I cannot keep myself from waiting. I at least have a plan for when the game is down for days, but it won't be fun at all to have to wait to play.

I fell in love with the Romulans immediately when I first saw them. I was really sad when I couldn't play one at the launch of this game, but since I've been able to play again, I've been extremely excited about the prospect of finally being able to create the character I've only dreamt of playing.

I think people love the Romulans so much because so much of them is a mystery, but also because they are so easy to relate to.

Romulans will do whatever it takes to benefit themselves and their people no matter the cost to outsiders and they don't make excuses or apologies for it. And their ships look cool as hell.

No offense to Klingon fans but Klingons have become so overused (just like the Borg) and even from very early on were set up as being a highly honor driven warrior race. At the same time there have been so many instances where "Klingon Honor" has been mentioned but completely disregarded that it's to the point of "yeah whatever you say" and I think that along with a lot of other reasons is why the Klingon population has always been small in comparison.

It'll be interesting to see the initial population numbers once everything settles down and the initial chaos is over.

I've noticed before when a new season launches that if you've played on tribble right before the launch it seems like there isn't that much that it actually patches, more like it copies the files from the tribble patches you already have and then fills in where it's needed. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case then that could go a long way in relieving some of the stress on the patch server the day of launch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's possible they won't have more problems because of all the crashes already caused by the NWO launch and population overload. On the other hand I'm not going to bet against more network problems and server crashes. I'll simply say things will probably be "interesting".
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's just hope we don't have to go through the whole missing launcher link again where we have to use a private network to log on.
  • Options
    spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I forsee.... new romulus being populated pretty fast.... with a lot of new farmers becoming captains.

They will probably rival the KDF if not the mighty Federation as fasr as the original playerbase(before the choise).

It will be fun to see all new romulan captains.

LET THE ALE FLOOOOOOOW :)

and hopefully let cryptic have forsight enough to get the extra bandwith, server capacity, hardware etc thats required and not be caught of guard.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm gonna hide under my bed for a day or so. Hopefully it'll be stable by then.

I'm going to do the same thing, and I'll probably stash some snacks down there and some star trek books I keep for internet downtime emergencies.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif