test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Charectar wipe

randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
I know character wipes are possible but why all 7 characters, two Romulans and the rest were Federation I mean I can see LOR updates possible causing it but, why my Federation toons as well?
Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
Post edited by randolf2 on

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just transfer them back from Holodeck....plus it's a way for Cryptic to clean house for those who try to use Tribble as their main game.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a test server. Part of creating and leveling characters in a test server is accepting the fact that the characters can and do get wiped or accidentally deleted.
  • malakhglitchmalakhglitch Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To some people that is the 'challenge' inherent in a test server. Create a character and see how far it goes before being wiped. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    plus it's a way for Cryptic to clean house for those who try to use Tribble as their main game.

I don't really think that plays a part. The few times they've done wipes have been when they've done extremely major changes to the entire game. Like Free2Play. And this here expansion. It's more of a technical thing on their side than it is anything to do with what people are actually doing long-term on the test server with their characters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rpg4everrpg4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't really think that plays a part. The few times they've done wipes have been when they've done extremely major changes to the entire game. Like Free2Play. And this here expansion. It's more of a technical thing on their side than it is anything to do with what people are actually doing long-term on the test server with their characters.

Except they didn't wipe with the free to play update, since i still had characters from before then, and i know it was a test server, but this is still stupid, i had long ago stopped just porting characters over and instead been just making them to test them, and ive spent hours and hours playing on it, worst of all i was stupid enough for spending real money on ships on this server, so im actually extremely po about this, heck, i could even handle that better if it wherent for the fact is is now impossible for me to have my gorn with a winter jacket outfit on him, since its impossible to get use it now, even if i remade him, and i dont think theres enough slots to fill out all the characters i played, even if i bought new slots. i thought i'd never say this, but this actually makes me half tempted to quit the game after years of being a loyal player, supporting them both with my money and constantly trying to get people i know to play this game, as well as trying to defend them on rants about said game, and this is how i ( and many others) are rewarded, great job breaking it cryptic.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rpg4ever wrote: »
    Except they didn't wipe with the free to play update, since i still had characters from before then, and i know it was a test server, but this is still stupid, i had long ago stopped just porting characters over and instead been just making them to test them, and ive spent hours and hours playing on it, worst of all i was stupid enough for spending real money on ships on this server, so im actually extremely po about this, heck, i could even handle that better if it wherent for the fact is is now impossible for me to have my gorn with a winter jacket outfit on him, since its impossible to get use it now, even if i remade him, and i dont think theres enough slots to fill out all the characters i played, even if i bought new slots. i thought i'd never say this, but this actually makes me half tempted to quit the game after years of being a loyal player, supporting them both with my money and constantly trying to get people i know to play this game, as well as trying to defend them on rants about said game, and this is how i ( and many others) are rewarded, great job breaking it cryptic.

Wait, of everything that I can see as a valid reason to quit the game, you're biggest complaint and the one that's going to cause you to quit the game... is that on a TEST server, during a CLOSED beta, they made the decision to wipe the game in order to help facilitate their testing, since legacy characters would give them inproper feedback due to the incompatibility with their current build.

Seriously???
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, but if you play on Tribble for the heck of it you are doing something wrong. Tribble is for testing new stuff, not for letting Gorn wear long-implemented winter coats. The new update comes with a lot of changes to all characters (like the trait system) so it's fine if they want a fresh start.
    The only time I remember that people were rightfully angry about an announced (they didn't go through with it in the end) character wipe on Tribble was when we were testing the original diplomacy system and they wanted to wipe the server before anybody could get to the higher tiers and with not enough time left to start over before the patch was supposed to go live.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
    edited May 2013
    rpg4ever wrote: »
    Except they didn't wipe with the free to play update,

Yeah they did. I had a test server character that I made to look like Gilligan from Gilligan's Island. I only flew him in a Danube Runabout, the USS Minnow. And was levelling him solely that way.

During the testing period for Free to Play conversion, poof, he was gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It seems they need to wipe the PTS more often to keep the crazies in check. :rolleyes:
    edited May 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    It seems they need to wipe the PTS more often to keep the crazies in check. :rolleyes:

I'd be cool with that. It'd be nice if they added more controls to the test server. Like level up and level down control. The ability to test any ship, any gear combo. Access to various Fleet Starbase and Embassy tiers and what not. Just really open up things for testing.

And then wipe the server once per month or whatever.

Be totally cool with that. Testing could commence in earnest. And really that's what the whole experience is for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Disclaimer

This is a test server and will not receive Support. We reserve the right to wipe characters and take down the server for maintenance at any time. Don't worry, your Holodeck character will not be affected!"

Don't get mad when you had clear warning.

Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • rpg4everrpg4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Wait, of everything that I can see as a valid reason to quit the game, you're biggest complaint and the one that's going to cause you to quit the game... is that on a TEST server, during a CLOSED beta, they made the decision to wipe the game in order to help facilitate their testing, since legacy characters would give them inproper feedback due to the incompatibility with their current build.

Seriously???

I said i was half tempted to, not that i was, plus part of its likely i was extra mad last not because i found out about the wipe by logging in and finding everything gone, i had to search through multiple pages to find the announcement, and i was in general having a rather rotten pass few days with attending to various stuff in my personal life, and this was just what made my finally lash out at one in the morning, and before someone else gets mad at my since its said in the ToS like the did in another thread, i read the ToS once, back in 2011, i'd think it could be forgiven that i either forgot or maybe even missed a line saying this could happen, plus i didn't realize the dev team essentially worked themselves into a corner with a bug or whatever it was.
    Sorry, but if you play on Tribble for the heck of it you are doing something wrong. Tribble is for testing new stuff, not for letting Gorn wear long-implemented winter coats. The new update comes with a lot of changes to all characters (like the trait system) so it's fine if they want a fresh start.
    The only time I remember that people were rightfully angry about an announced (they didn't go through with it in the end) character wipe on Tribble was when we were testing the original diplomacy system and they wanted to wipe the server before anybody could get to the higher tiers and with not enough time left to start over before the patch was supposed to go live.

I play tribble for more than "the heck of it" i also do report bugs i find, and even make a new character every now and then in case of new bugs, however i made the mistake of actually making characters for this server instead of just transferring them, a mistake i don't plan to make again as for the winter coat thing, again, i never liked them on any of my officers but this one gorn, and now i have to hope this game will last long enough to get it again this December, and hope they have them again. As for doing something "wrong" as long as where not doing something to harm others or taking advantage of others, its up to us to play the game as we see fit, and not tell others how to and not to, play the game.

Yeah they did. I had a test server character that I made to look like Gilligan from Gilligan's Island. I only flew him in a Danube Runabout, the USS Minnow. And was levelling him solely that way.

During the testing period for Free to Play conversion, poof, he was gone.

Weird, because i was around then to, my guy was reset, but not wiped. maybe my character glitched and i never realized it, wish i had, before i spent so much effort on other characters on tribble, especially that gorn, heck, if every thing was reset, and not just wiped, i'd be cool, now i can't have that winter jacket (well i have it on my others but it doesn't look good on them imho) and i no longer have my bridge officer who was shooting lighting bolts from his eyes.
  • vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited May 2013
    *facepalm*

What part of test server can't people understand? They need to wipe data.