test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The best methods to drop shields

ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Klingon Discussion
Recently, I bought my b'rel, and have been practising with its awesome cloak, but now I wish to make it more deadlier (and sneakier, as in my other thread). I want the ship mainly set up for PvP as a full on torp boat. I also can set the layout for full cannons if i'm doing PvE (as I already have the quad cannons from my other BoP).

My main problem is getting the enemy's shields to drop. In Ker'rat, I tend to do the rather underhand method of waiting for a borg to drop the shield of a fed, then I will open fire on them, but it would be nice to be able to drop them myself. I currently use a Boff with Jam targeting sensors and viral matrix to make the life of my prey more difficult, but recently I have seen these functions becoming more and more useless.

What skills/traits would I need to have the ability (or increased chance) of dropping my targets shields?
Post edited by ironmako on

Comments

• maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    u could try putting one beam up front and spamming target sheild sub.

also u could try using omega 2 peice set with polarons to help get those pesky sheilds down quicker.

what torps u using? my brel is full plasma torps the omega and rommy torps sometimes i slap on the transphasic mines torp for hull dmg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only guaranteed method is by eating the shield facing with energy weapons.

You can try combining things that drain a little bit of shields each, such as Tachyon Pulse, Tractor Beam with multiple purple TB DOFFs, Jem'Hadar 3-piece set bonus Antimatter Sweep, etc. Each of those are guaranteed to drain some power from the shields. But you will run out of those and they will recharge, so its not as effective as just shooting the shields down where you can maintain weapon fire indefinitely while they use up their heals.

You can also try combining multiple random methods for disabling the shield system, such as Target Subsystem Shields, Phaser weapons (random shutdown), Polaron weapons (random energy drain), Viral Matrix, etc., and roll them all until the shields go down. Shield battery and EPtS both restore disabled shields, and so you have the same problem, they will restore and you will be out of tricks.

A whole different path, and something I do with my cruiser, is try to get their kinetic resists low and then throw a lot of transphasics at the target. Disruptors, Omega 3-piece set, etc.

All of them work if the target is out of shield regens. Only thing that works for sure outside of that is weapon damage on shield facing.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, in other words, my fellow warriors of the Empire:

"Moar Dakka"
    XzRTofz.gif
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would suggest a well timed Tetryon DBB BO attack with buffs but the best authority (imo) would be Emojoe.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're running a B'rel torp boat, you have two options:

Transphasics or Teammates.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Brel stunlok boat is a cutie. That's how emo rolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMqbpi2rDPg

I go tactical.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, if you want to use the enhanced battle cloak to its fulliest, you cannot use beams and cannons. so shield dropping by sheer weapon power is a no go.

My idea is, I have the B'Rel, to exploit DoT'to its utmost. Get Dis pattern II or III and mines, I prefer plasma myself for the DoT, the breen cluster is also nice, Hargh'Peng of course. Further torpedoes with HY or Spread.

Set Aux power as high as possible and use a Gravity Well. A Sci captain with Sensor scan is also nice. If you can afford it buy the Draguas with the aceton assimilator console, you can use it on any ship and your B'Rel can drop it while cloaked.

BTW, what I have heard is that one on one, the (torpedo) B'Rel against any type of ship at full health, is a fight you cannot win (given the fact the other captain knows what he is doing)
  • ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fovrel wrote: »
    Well, if you want to use the enhanced battle cloak to its fulliest, you cannot use beams and cannons. so shield dropping by sheer weapon power is a no go.

My idea is, I have the B'Rel, to exploit DoT'to its utmost. Get Dis pattern II or III and mines, I prefer plasma myself for the DoT, the breen cluster is also nice, Hargh'Peng of course. Further torpedoes with HY or Spread.

Set Aux power as high as possible and use a Gravity Well. A Sci captain with Sensor scan is also nice. If you can afford it buy the Draguas with the aceton assimilator console, you can use it on any ship and your B'Rel can drop it while cloaked.

BTW, what I have heard is that one on one, the (torpedo) B'Rel against any type of ship at full health, is a fight you cannot win (given the fact the other captain knows what he is doing)

Yeah, I used to like the Idea of mines, but every time I lay them, the pesky feds shoot them straight away. I got a good hit on a fed yesterday, when I fired my viral matrix at him, he reported to have 0 power on all subsystems, so I managed to fully disable him before I blew him to smithereens. Wish that kind of thing happened more often though!

Maybe what I need to do is stock up on some shield draining consumables like drones or something. Currently the torps i use are the Hargh'peng, Rapid fire transphasics, quantums (both good for torp spread III, dependant on whether my target has shields or not) and breen cluster. I have a couple of mine launchers at the back, but I might replace them for a couple more torp launchers.
  • sardizasardiza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A piggy Orion Marauder running six FAW2 Dominion Polarized Beam Arrays in a 2xAux2batt build (with Starship Flow Caps maxed and as many science flow cap consoles boosting) plus Tetryon Drones would be a shield nightmare...

At least in my piggy Orion Marauder dreams
  • stulpnagelstulpnagel Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The fleet cannons is the best way to drop shields.at least that happens to me when i have to deal with them at kerrat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're running a B'rel torp boat, you have two options:

Transphasics or Teammates.

Good luck even with Cryptic trying to sell a romulan version to get them to actually make them worth using as torpedo boats.