test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Simple question (pardon my ignorance)

scruffyvulcanscruffyvulcan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Ten Forward
Has there ever been an in-continuity explanation for why Romulans developed those strange foreheads in just two generations?
Post edited by scruffyvulcan on

Comments

• Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has there ever been an in-continuity explanation for why Romulans developed those strange foreheads in just two generations?

Genetics.

Some have 'em, some don't.
  • Options
    bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From Memory Alpha (see the physiology section):
    No in-universe explanation has ever been given for the difference in appearance. StarTrek.com suggested that the ridged majority of Romulans were a different race that evolved on Vulcan simultaneously with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan

"These "browless" Romulans were predominant in the 23rd century, (TOS; Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country) but were not seen in the 24th century en masse until Nero and his crew in Star Trek. No in-universe explanation has ever been given for the difference in appearance. StarTrek.com suggested that the ridged majority of Romulans were a different race that evolved on Vulcan simultaneously with them. [X]wbm In an interview, Neville Page, the head art designer for 2009's Star Trek had a different explanation. During his work on the movie, he first created a back-story to justify the change their faces had undergone, explaining that as a result of their grief, anger, and general bad-TRIBBLE persona, the Romulans chose to cut and scar themselves, leaving behind such significant keloids on their foreheads that it eventually wended its way into the gene pool over many years, eventually becoming a natural characteristic of all Romulans and thus creating the distinct difference between them and their Vulcan cousins."

TL;DR:
    There's never been a satisfying answer, but the two main theories I'm aware of are that the Romulans were actually a different race than the Vulcans and just shared a planet. Also, some say those Vulcans who became Romulans practiced ritual cutting and it became a part of their genetic code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3 responses in 4 minutes. Not bad. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    3 responses in 4 minutes. Not bad. ;)

Heh. Yeah. You guys know your Trek.
  • Options
    lostcause212lostcause212 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess it's like the Klingon foreheads issue. Out of universe, evolving makeup. In universe, I guess we're just meant to assume they were always like that and ignore the lack of them in TOS.

Since I think ENT's whole "augment virus" explanation is a bit weak really.
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I guess it's like the Klingon foreheads issue. Out of universe, evolving makeup. In universe, I guess we're just meant to assume they were always like that and ignore the lack of them in TOS.

Except you're not. Worf's refusal to explain in DS9's tribble episode makes sure of that.
    Since I think ENT's whole "augment virus" explanation is a bit weak really.

It gives a plausible reasoning for something that, up until that point, was completely glossed over.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's my stab at it. Vulcans mated with humans, and Romulans mated with Remans. What we see today are the product of that
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Except you're not. Worf's refusal to explain in DS9's tribble episode makes sure of that.

I always thought that was more the writers saying "We know we can't come up with an explanation that'll satisfy everyone, so..."
    yjIzVE9.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I always thought that was more the writers saying "We know we can't come up with an explanation that'll satisfy everyone, so..."

That was my reaction as well. It felt more like a wink to the audience than any attempt to say there's a real reason.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Refusing to explain something in no way means that the thing you're refusing to explain didn't occur.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Real reason Bigger make up budget

in canon reason
    same as some humans have a more defined jaw
    the ridge is there on all vulcans and romulans but only prominent on some
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The ritual cutting thing sounds like 19th century quack science.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,406 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The ritual cutting thing sounds like 19th century quack science.
    Early 20th-century quack science, actually, specifically Lamarckian evolution. To borrow a phrase from TVTropes, he Fails Biology Forever.

My personal explanation? "We don't discuss it with outsiders." I kind of wish the Klingon thing had been left at that, as well. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png