test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thinking of ditching Electro-Plasma Systems skill

shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
edited May 2013 in PvP Gameplay
Is this really needed for a lazy player who doesn't change power levels?

The only reason why I had 6 points in it was to help with the power transfer when I drop out of full impulse.

I did notice, visually, that 6 points + the console did help with power regen when firing (but, it was hardly noticeable).

I was thinking of redistributing those 6 points into:
3 - Sensor Scan
3 - Subsystem repair

My fleetmate tells me that he's noticed that Sensor Scan really helps with Sensor Target Assault. It doesn't stop target lock, but with 3 points in Sensor Scan, he can still see his target and can re-acquire immediately (or almost immediately).

Subsystem Repair was more to ensure I spent all of my points in something I need. Does it help significantly against disables with just 3 points?
Post edited by shookyang on

Comments

• dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know it also increases the power gain from emergency power skills ?
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • shookyangshookyang Member Posts: 1,122
    edited May 2013
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    You know it also increases the power gain from emergency power skills ?
    Ahh, right...I had forgotten about that.

Hmmm....guess I'll need to see where else I can draw points from.
  • mikamochamikamocha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I try to consult Amicus's skill point effects table when I am looking to find different points.

http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skill%20Point%20Effects.htm

It makes pretty clear what the difference is between having 3 and 6 points in any given space skill.
    edited May 2013
    mikamocha wrote: »
    I try to consult Amicus's skill point effects table when I am looking to find different points.

It makes pretty clear what the difference is between having 3 and 6 points in any given space skill.
    Yeah, I was checking that as well.

Perhaps I could get away with dropping Electro-Plasma down to 4, since their is only a 1 power level difference between 4 and 6.

Still won't quite get me to 3 in Sensors.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    on my tribble romulan, it was painful waiting for energy to normalize wile i couldn't get any points into EPS, i think you will regret it. it directly buffs EPt skills too like already mentioned. i wish EPS consoles buffed this skill, instead of just transfer rate
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I put 3 points into EPS on every toon. Seems to be the sweet spot--any less is harmful, any more and the points are more valuable elsewhere.
    edited May 2013
    on my tribble romulan, it was painful waiting for energy to normalize wile i couldn't get any points into EPS, i think you will regret it. it directly buffs EPt skills too like already mentioned. i wish EPS consoles buffed this skill, instead of just transfer rate
    Will I really notice a difference in power transfer rate if I went with 4 points instead of 6?

According to the link above, I'd only lose 1 power level with EPtS.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shookyang wrote: »
    I was thinking of redistributing those 6 points into:
    3 - Sensor Scan
    3 - Subsystem repair

You mean Starship Sensors.

Sensor Scan is the Sci captain power (which is actually boosted by Starship Sensors).

shookyang wrote: »
    My fleetmate tells me that he's noticed that Sensor Scan really helps with Sensor Target Assault. It doesn't stop target lock, but with 3 points in Sensor Scan, he can still see his target and can re-acquire immediately (or almost immediately).

Starship Sensors is to Confuses (Scramble Sensors) and Placates as PI is to Power Drains.

So 9 ranks, or equivalent (i.e. 99 skill) equates to 50% duration reduction.

I can't confirm, but I suspect, that Subsystem Repair functions in a similar manner vs. subsystem disables.

If this is true, then 3 ranks would be 27% reduction in duration.
    edited May 2013
    You mean Starship Sensors.

Sensor Scan is the Sci captain power (which is actually boosted by Starship Sensors).

Starship Sensors is to Confuses (Scramble Sensors) and Placates as PI is to Power Drains.

So 9 ranks, or equivalent (i.e. 99 skill) equates to 50% duration reduction.

I can't confirm, but I suspect, that Subsystem Repair functions in a similar manner vs. subsystem disables.

If this is true, then 3 ranks would be 27% reduction in duration.
    Yes, I meant Starship Sensors.

And I left out a word...3 points in Sensors doesn't eliminate the breaking of target lock from Sensor Assault, but it reduces the 2 second jam. He insists that he just loses target lock but can still see his target. Perhaps they round up the reduction in Sensor Assault's case to 1 second?

1/4 off the duration of Jam Sensors, AMS, Sensor Assault, and Sensor Scramble doesn't sound too bad.
    edited May 2013
    So, in talking to my fleetmate, he said that he had the Omega deflector on.

If 6 points in Sensors = 84, then he had approximately 80 in Sensors with 3 points + Omega deflector MK XII.

That would probably explain why Sensor Assault was just breaking target lock, but he could still see the target.

I'm not going to bother with a respec, since I don't use the Omega deflector dish.
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Additional points will also let you recover power from a drain faster, such as a hostile drain skill, the drain from Beam Overload, and the general drain from firing your weapons. Firing your weapons at less then max power will give you less then max damage.
  • scrimpinionscrimpinion Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mikamocha wrote: »

:eek: skill table, where have you been all my life?! <3

I am sooo glad I saved a respec token.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]