test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO on console?

borg9870borg9870 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Are there any updates on a STO console release? For the UI I was thinking you could use something similar to the Radial Interface used in Supreme Commander (Xbox 360)
Post edited by borg9870 on

Comments

• Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Was this ever a thing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah way back in 2008
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the talks fell through and im pretty sure cryptic hasn't tried since then.
  • Options
    apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The idea pretty much died when STO was declining in subscription numbers in the early beginning.
    21ajpqt.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    well maybe its something for them to consider after Legacy has been released, it might cause subscriptions to rise
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If/when Valve ever releases their Steam Box console, you could probably play STO on that, since STO is on Steam.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Do you think the radial interface idea could be adapted for a console version of STO?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    (continuing last post) like in other console games I have found like Supreme Commander 1 + 2 and command and Conquer Red Alert 3
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    the steam box "console" isn't really a console, its just a pc designed specifically for steam and to connect to your home theatre. hell you can do that now with hdmi. problem with sto being ported to a console is there's too many buttons to cram down to a controller. Canging power levels on the fly will be difficult, making macros would be difficult if not nearly impossible for most console players. If playing STO on a console meant requiring a keyboard and a mouse like ffxi did back on the ps2, then you might as well just get an hdmi capable graphics card and hook your pc up to your tv and go nuts.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You could use the arrow keys to change power levels - like on Star Trek Encounters.

You could use L1 L2 R1 R2 to access menu's which then access other menus

Take the PS3 controller for example, Square could be used for phasers, Circle for torpedoes and Triangle for Fire all weapons
  • Options
    starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's certainly possible for Star Trek Online's interface to be totally workable with a controller. Champions Online pulled off a 360 control scheme very well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I havent played CO on xbox but if it worked for CO then a console controller could work for STO
  • Options
    felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They can create their own controller specifically designed for STO on the console they decide to launch it on. I have seen specialized keyboards and mouses, why not special controllers for say the PS4 some day after it launches. Or whatever.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FFXI still doing well on 360 so I dont see why STO couldnt do the same. But if it was ever to happen I dont think it would be on the current consoles to far near the end of their life for it to be worthwhile.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I suppose its more likely they would make a PS4 and Xbox-next gen version - those consoles will probably be released in the next year or two
  • Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea it's never gonna happen.

A. I'm glad it aint gonna happen.

B. Console will have to have many things limited or highly restricted.

C. Even nex Gen Consoles will be 10 steps behind PC's and the Consoles are 5x more expensive than a good gaming pc.

D. They'd have to rewright most of the engine to work on consoles.

E. just...no, just no. there is little money to be made in it, the console gen would be restricted in terms of space requirements, the constant upkeep of both the PC and Console teams would be too expensive. its not like "make the console version and done" they need multiple teams to work with it.

it is far far far FAR!! to useless to have STO on a console. plus STO is not a console game in terms of its game play.

Steambox however...it is likely that'd happen, especially if they somehow manage to make their own controller and house the core data there.
  • Options
    threat21threat21 Member Posts: 300
    edited May 2013
    ya but you're forgetting that there aren't any free game downloads, at least on xbox live... couldn't pay me enough to check out psn. so you will end up having to pay a fee to the distributor just to get the game that you can download as many times as you want on your pc for free.
  • Options
    vitzhvitzh Member Posts: 519
    edited May 2013
    microsoft are far too greedy to allow an mmo on console. Sony may be best bet. It can work but needs people who know what they are really doing. Hence why it's so hard to do! XD
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    from what i know reverse engineering a console game to port to pc can take a decade or longer to do without the coding, so even with all that stuff it may take about 3-5 years to get a number of consoles versions of the game ready with the limited resources cryptic has. it would also cost an awful lot to secure contracts and more resources for the job... i just dont see it happening.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens, maybe we could all post questions for the next ask cryptic to show there is interest in this?

BTW daedalus304, The PS3 costs 250GBP and the Xbox 360 (25gb) is 193GBP, most good gaming PC's Ive looked at cost 350GBP+
  • Options
    starboardnacellestarboardnacelle Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    from what i know reverse engineering a console game to port to pc can take a decade or longer to do without the coding, so even with all that stuff it may take about 3-5 years to get a number of consoles versions of the game ready with the limited resources cryptic has. it would also cost an awful lot to secure contracts and more resources for the job... i just dont see it happening.

The engine was designed from the ground up to be used on an Xbox 360.
  • Options
    pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The future of MMO gaming...everything played while plopped on the couch in the living room in front of the big screen. :(

So how much money are the console fans willing to plop down in order to get an agreement signed between PW and the console companies? Console companies are going to want a piece of the action in order to carry the game on their networks.

So how much time are the console fans willing to wait for patches/fixes/updates to go thru the various console company processes before being released to their networked console systems?

Quicker fix - get an X360 USB controller and plug it into your PC THEN plop down on the couch in the living room in front of the big screen. ;)