test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Legacy of Romulus] UI/ HUD Feedback, Suggestions, ETC.

Comments

• Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The funny thing is if it had an actually modern look you'd have the JJ Pitchfork and Torches Society crying into their fruit smoothies that it looked too much like an Apple I-Store or something else that pretends we're supposed to not see that almost every sci-fi design in history is a prisoner of the era in which it was created. It's an inescapable issue of working in the genre.

OHHHH. You mean the reaction I (and many) had to the JJ-verse Enterprise i-Bridge :P

Yeah it's true. :D

I had an idea that would be exceptionally jarring.

Imagine it they had a custom UI that attempted to give us a TOS interface?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I somehow want all these things to appear in a TOS UI. :D
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    I somehow want all these things to appear in a TOS UI. :D

What have I done.

Those are great animations, but God what a loud website. A mute option would've been appreciated.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    captainwestbrookcaptainwestbrook Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to suggest; that when you minimize the chatbox, the icon be a combadge like how it currently is, rather than an icon labelled "chat". The combadge looks way cooler. :cool:
    Join www.UFPlanets.com
    5 FED Fleets | 3 KDF Fleets - T5 Colony on both factions
    Mack.png
  • Options
    rextorvan36rextorvan36 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I do hope that they fix the back grounds and some of the cutscenes. It was odd seeing Federation backgrounds and phaser rifles in some of the message popups and cutscenes.But other then that...looking forward to this.
  • Options
    neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hello dev, here my contribution from my testing.

first of all congratulation on the work you done, it is fantastic.

that being said, some little things i think could be enhanced, nothing very important but.
    the help windows system, we only have the option to disable it completely.
    i found it very usefull, but i also found it take too much time to go away, and we don't have the option to close it when we want, we must wait for it go on himself, or disable it.

i don't want to disable it, just close the windows when i have finished to read, because in mission it could be annoying.

anyway i also love the waypoint in the map to help you find your way, and the different color when you do a mission replay, really helpful.

the singularity power are fun to play, and the lost in subsystem power is not important in these first level pve environment

that about it for now
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    crypticttc wrote: »
    These things are all great suggestions, but they need to be implemented by the programmers - not me. I can do basic layout changes and art design, but functional updates to the UI need programmers to implement.

Hi Thomas the Cat,

I would like to ask you if these concerns/comments I added are a UI issue or a programming issue, as well as if they are on the radar of either.

1) In the UI on holodeck now, and on Tribble.

When you go to

Ship > Status > Defense

The Shield Regeneration Rate only works for some shields (ex: Borg) and not for others (ex: MACO).

Can we please get this working for all shields in the new UI?

2) All of those neat little bits of information like Defense score, Critical Hit, Resistances, Shield Regen, etc. are buried deep with in menus and submenus. City of Heroes had an option to open a tiny window that allowed you to choose specific combat statistics to display permanently on the HUD.

This would be a really amazing feature, and should really be something added.

3) Shield Resistances are not displayed in the game's UI anywhere, it is one of the many mystery statistics that also happens to be critical to performance and understanding performance. Can you please find a spot for this in the DEFENSE sub-menu at least?

Thanks for you time.
  • Options
    twistedvaccinetwistedvaccine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if i am the only one out there who doesn't like there chat box half the size of the screen, i like it as a nice little box tucked into a corner.
    However with the new UI (Dont get me wrong, i am a massive fan) and the design of the chat box channel selector being in the 'write text box' i find that i can only see one 3-4 letter word at a time while i am writing and if i wish to see it all i have to extend the box across the screen.

Anybody else have any views on this..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why all ships have the icon on the HUD green? On holodeck dominion ships are pink ,federation ships are blue ,breen green and so on.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is some additional feedback after the latest patch.

1. From the patch notes on April 29, 2013:
    UI:
    • The Rearrange HUD screen, accessed via F12, now shows more clearly what the HUD elements actually look like.

The "Rearrange HUD" screen is more useful now, but the borders of some green boxes still do not line up with those of their counterparts in the HUD. See the images below.

http://i.imgur.com/TCD7MMN.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/BjCdr8r.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/tz6wdK6.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/kzztUDX.jpg

2. Bridge officers no longer appear in the character selection screen. They show up briefly after you click "Play" and before you beam out.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just repeating. The needless HEADS need to go away from the character/tailor screen.

Its super annoying and not that attractive to see these presets. I dont even want to see them in basic mode at creation let alone everytime I want to change a belt.

I personally find the "basic" mode clunky and would prefer to have a box to check to default to advanced - which IMO most people actually use.

Also there is still no UNDO button at the tailor. If there is its hard to see since the BASIC options take up far too much screen real estate and make the actually useful bits hard to find.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »

The "Rearrange HUD" screen is more useful now, but the borders of some green boxes still do not line up with those of their counterparts in the HUD. See the images below.

2. Bridge officers no longer appear in the character selection screen. They show up briefly after you click "Play" and before you beam out.

there is still no options to size many of the pieces without changing the entire UI scale.

Still no way to Hide or collapse the mission tracker. If Im not rtracking a mission I dont want to see it. In live I ve made it as small as I can but still am forced to view it.

Would still like options to set transparancy etc. Or even adjust the background colors for the boxes at least.

All target and team icons are still way to dark. To me its nearly a black box with a couple of bright Red and Green bars. An option to turn off the icons would be nice as well. I dont need to see my portrait
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    frtoaster wrote: »

Confirmed and agreed. An improvement, but not quite right.
    Just repeating. The needless HEADS need to go away from the character/tailor screen.

Its super annoying and not that attractive to see these presets. I dont even want to see them in basic mode at creation let alone everytime I want to change a belt.

I personally find the "basic" mode clunky and would prefer to have a box to check to default to advanced - which IMO most people actually use.

Also there is still no UNDO button at the tailor. If there is its hard to see since the BASIC options take up far too much screen real estate and make the actually useful bits hard to find.

If anything the heads and hair should be restricted to the actual head and hair screen. They aren't needed once you're on body or uniform.

The only reason I use presets is to actually access different shapes of head and faces. Then I go advance and tweak the hell out of it until there's not a trace of generic left.

Also are we going to be getting more parts and pieces to work with. Different nose and lip shapes for instance?
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still experiencing hail window dialogue cutoffs. Also seeing some trait text issues, literally sticking out of the UI.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/PyJ3nrw.jpg

Update: This appears to be linked with UI scaling. Anything below 1.00 begins to overlap on the text in dialogue hails.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After all the more or less noticeable updates there've been, still have two major quibbles with the new UI:

1) The oversized dialogue contact window. Well, I'm not sure if that's an order from higher up to have it big by design, but it really is annoying. Still annoying after having spent hours and hours on Tribble. My wish would be to make it scalable, as big as it is now by default, let's say. Then all those annoyed can scale it down as desired. Win-win situation, I'd say (unless there's a programming trouble with that).

2) Pretty much the whole of Doff window. I didn't see any changes to it since I posted detailed pics. In short, a good third of the whole window is taken by empty spaces between individual Doff assignements, between individual doffs, between the columns of doffs/assignements and their details and so on and on. In the end, all useful and informative is small and crumped while there's unused space all around. There's more often need for scrolling in the lists of Doffs, assignements, that's user unfriendly.

Oh, and one question: Are the loading screens all to remain blue no matter what faction you play? Or what color scheme you choose? Looks a bit strange to play in an all red and orange UI (for example) and get a completely blue loading screen whenever you change maps.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot about this one, not sure if it fits in this thread though: The + and - buttons don't seem to work when entering a character taylor, before you enter to modify/create a choosen costume/boff.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    hellwolf80hellwolf80 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As for me, I like the new HUD very very much. I already picked my colors for each captain and I'm cool with it. I like the style, I like the color, I love the bigger buttons that are easier to miss-click. Also it seems to me the new HUD responds faster. Remember, not everyone has a fast computer.

However, I do think scrapping the old UI entirely would be a mistake. I was thinking about people might love the old one, and reading this article confirmed my suspicion. Hell, even some guys may love the 'terrible' original green Romulan UI. So I do support those who want to keep the old style too.

I also really like how the new comm screen looks, I like the big view screen idea, but I have concerns about it getting in the way in some scenario. Maybe some small screen version should be added, just like the way the system entry screens are working. Also, I suggest you guys should apply the actual bridge background to the space boff communications, it would add a lot of authenticity to the comm, especially if people spent hundreds of Zen for their ship bridges.

The new skill coloring looks great, this makes the HUD a bit more vibrant and less static and of course more colorful. I like it very much. I also like the rearrange screen works much better, and makes the HUD pieces fit together like a puzzle. So great job on that one.

Even if I like the new system, there are places for improvement. The ground and space HUD doesn't really independently, which is a problem now. Some of the HUD pieces, like the chat, map and mission tracker stays in the same position and size for both view mode, and gets in the way for one if you have that kind of setup. You guys should make the two independent from each other. An other thing to improve a bit is the in-game map. It is great to re-size and move the map around but what is the point if the buttons from the 'more' tab doesn't slide on the new empty spaces on the border we just created. Please make it happen.

Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    HATE the new color coded Abilities in the Personal Tray. That's just my two cents. IN general I ahve been loving the UI changes, particularly the more recent alterations, but I think between the power levels all being different colors and now this change it's just TOO MANY colors .... LOL. At least make the "classic settings use classic color schemes for these bits if possible. TYVM for the great work!
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One issue I am having with the updated coloured power icons is for non division powers, like melee moves etc. The colour is very non-distinct. Sort of a blend between orange and yellow and red. It just doesn't work for me at all, and I would prefer a different contrasting colour entirely, for example purple, green or cyan.
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This... This is just hideous. You've changed the UI to look nicer and more LCARS-y, yet you've changed the colours of all the skill icons without even an option to turn this off...

So can we please have an option to change them back to what they were before the patch...?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My interface is now a Raindow.....

Its a nice concept but makes my tray looking junky and childish.

I dont need to know what power is what dept. The color coding provides no actual benefit. Its irrelevant if something is Engy or Sci.

To be honest it actually makes it a bity harder to use since some buttons stand out more.

Offer as an option but dont force us to have rainbow trays....
  • Options
    heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Radio buttons and check boxes don't seem to be changing size with the UI scale setting.
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy
  • Options
    kurtzroykurtzroy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The color coded power icon's aren't that bad, I do wish they looked more like LCARS buttons.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I keep my power trays organized (mostly) by tactical, eng, sci grouping anyway so I don't think the rainbow effect is too bad. Though in my case perhaps slightly redundant.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For those who haven't read through the thread.

The devs have responded that unfortunately, due to the way the game is built, it is impossible to have the new U/I and the old U/I coexist. The game would not function.
    suaveks wrote: »
    This... This is just hideous. You've changed the UI to look nicer and more LCARS-y, yet you've changed the colours of all the skill icons without even an option to turn this off...

So can we please have an option to change them back to what they were before the patch...?
    I think it's beautiful.

Though this may be something that they would want to make it so it could be switched on and off.
    I keep my power trays organized (mostly) by tactical, eng, sci grouping anyway so I don't think the rainbow effect is too bad. Though in my case perhaps slightly redundant.

Me too. This has resulted in blocks of colors.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    This... This is just hideous...
    Ugh. I haven't had a chance to make it on Tribble since the latest update, but I have to agree, that picture is ... unappealing.

Though, I do typically arrange my powers by purpose ("attack", "healing", "control", etc.), so maybe it won't be so bad on mine.

Would be nice if it were an Option, though. Please?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Though this may be something that they would want to make it so it could be switched on and off.

Me too. This has resulted in blocks of colors.

Thats my opinion. Its like desktops or phones. Some people have what I would consider hideous looking fonts and icons etc.

For me it now makes the UI more intrusive without adding any benefit. Would love a check box to turn it on or off.
  • Options
    noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I found that the romulan rank insignia is the same as that of the federation. I recommend that this be changed to the romulan insignia to keep the uniqueness of the faction. In the character selection for the klingons you can change "These are the glorious battles of the I.K.S. ----" to "These are the conquests of the I.K.S.
    " I suggest this change becuase the klingons are known for being a worrior race that love to conquer different worlds, battle is part of there conquest to conquer different worlds.
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Am I the only person who's Ship Weapons box seems to move depending on whether you're in sector or system space?

I had the box lined up perfectly in system space, warped out to sector and the box had shifted to the right. So I moved it back to where I wanted it, entered another system and the box had moved to the left.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    According to this post in the Tribble Release notes thread, it's technically impossible to have the option to switch the colors off. I think in the future, they should plan from the ground up with functionality to switch things on and off, if possible. But he also said that they're planning on further adding functionality to the power trays, so this is just laying the ground work.
  • Options
    clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OK, I am able to change the HUD in Sector Space, but when I enter story mode - outside of combat, of course (so any comments regarding "you can't do it in combat" aren't necessary, thanks) - I cannot re-arrange things. The problem there is that several of the windows are crammed together, and I cannot always access the keys (for example, the "fire torpedoes" button goes away) I need. Since I have them set to auto, all still works, but the option to fire only torpedoes and to reset power levels is removed totally. Usually a small issue in story-based combat, but in PvP and against "boss"-level AIs, the ability to adjust is critical.

Here's hoping there's a change in store, or that the ability to change the HUD around in this mode is temporary.

Aside from that, I am really starting to DROOL over the LoR launch - I may never play my Fed or Kilnk characters again, ha!
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)