test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is wrong with Insurrection

jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Ten Forward
I liked it, I honestly did.

Not as much as Nemesis .

(And I bought a playmates phaser from Insurrection :D:):cool:)
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Post edited by jumpingjs on

Comments

• hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because Picard and the crew of the Enterprise are the bad guys, sacrificing billions of lives by denying them life-saving medicine so that a few hundred immortal aliens can go on being immortal, instead of living out their natural lives in peace and prosperity elsewhere. If you ignore that inconvenient fact, it's a decent scifi b-movie.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because starfleet do not court martial and execute EVERYONE involved in the genocide of a world
    Live long and Prosper
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Because the Baku were not native to the world, so should have been removed by force if necessary.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because they put a joystick on the Enterprise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because they put a joystick on the Enterprise.

i loved that part :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited April 2013
    hravik wrote: »

that dude is funny lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited April 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    Because the Baku were not native to the world, so should have been removed by force if necessary.

Forget the Baku (although right of first settlement applies) think of the Trillions of lives destroyed to give everyone in the federation 4 hours each
    Live long and Prosper
  • ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I believe the enlightened gentlemen known as the Nostalgia Critic and Linkara have adequately explained the many, many faults of Insurrection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7otxuhn__Zw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkHZpmvCpU

Otherwise, guriphu hit it in a nutshell:
    guriphu wrote: »
    Because Picard and the crew of the Enterprise are the bad guys, sacrificing billions of lives by denying them life-saving medicine so that a few hundred immortal aliens can go on being immortal, instead of living out their natural lives in peace and prosperity elsewhere. If you ignore that inconvenient fact, it's a decent scifi b-movie.

I hated the Ba'ku. They were a bunch of self-righteous, holier-than-thou hypocrites who lived a so-called technology-free life (even though they were STILL using technology, albeit in a more archaic form), and who would rather sit on all of their vast knowledge and do nothing with it than, say, use it to help people. Specifically, the millions of people who were wounded, sick or dying during the Dominion War.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    how is false hope "helping"

let the wounded go to the world and recover , build hospitals maybe

but there is no duty incumbent on non federation citizens to give up their lives for people who fought in a war
    Live long and Prosper
  • erikmodierikmodi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So. . . what I'm getting from this thread is that it's okay to do whatever you want to whoever you want as long as some nebulous good comes out of it eventually?

That's totally missing the point of Star Trek. The ends DO NOT justify the means, exploiting one population to benefit another, larger population IS NOT NOW, NEVER HAS BEEN, AND NEVER WILL BE a good idea. That kind of thinking has lead to some of the greatest atrocities in history.

Now, the moral may not have been presented in the best possible way, but it still remains. . . and fact that so many people not only ignore it, but outright defy it, worries me deeply.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hravik wrote: »

yeah he's the best. Allthough he has the capability to destroy any movie...
    Go pro or go home
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    yeah he's the best. Allthough he has the capability to destroy any movie...

does he have one for JJ Trek 2009?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    does he have one for JJ Trek 2009?

let me google that 4 u!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCJWr40raQ
    Go pro or go home
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    guriphu wrote: »
    +1

Also:
    Data trying to befriend a child like something off 'To Catch a Predator' :eek: I can't say how much that entire story thread creeped me out :(

On the plus side...
    It gave us Admiral Dougherty, and Picard's leather jacket was quite cool :cool: The Son'a ships were a visual pleasure, and it would have been good to have seen more of them in DS-9... :)
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    erikmodi wrote: »
    That's totally missing the point of Star Trek. The ends DO NOT justify the means, exploiting one population to benefit another, larger population IS NOT NOW, NEVER HAS BEEN, AND NEVER WILL BE a good idea. That kind of thinking has lead to some of the greatest atrocities in history.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Also why was Picard willing to do it in Journey's End episode?
  • erikmodierikmodi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Also why was Picard willing to do it in Journey's End episode?

That doesn't mean the needs of the few are totally irrelevant. Again, that kind of justification has lead to exactly the kinds of atrocities that Insurrection was about.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And trading off worlds to the Cardassians was an example of a great moral decision? Nope.

I hated Insurrection, but not because of the need to protect the Ba'ku. But just because the writing was bad and the "humor" utterly juvenile.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • commandersalvekcommandersalvek Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I could be wrong is Insurrection taking place as the same time as the Dominion war? The Admiral mentions ketrecel white-that annoys me-was around this time the Breen hit Earth?

Why is the Flagship not at the front -instead its being of being taxi for ompa loompas?

It was a cheap looking movie that felt like an episode (not a good one)

When you read Michael Pillars original idea Its in a pdf called fadein the making of star trek insurrecition what originally planned its criminal.
    edited April 2013
    baudl wrote: »

that was better then the movie :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • merrinsetmerrinset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I could be wrong is Insurrection taking place as the same time as the Dominion war? The Admiral mentions ketrecel white-that annoys me-was around this time the Breen hit Earth?

Why is the Flagship not at the front -instead its being of being taxi for ompa loompas?

It was a cheap looking movie that felt like an episode (not a good one)

When you read Michael Pillars original idea Its in a pdf called fadein the making of star trek insurrecition what originally planned its criminal.

Insurrection was just after the Dominion War. In the DS9 novels, the Enterprise was at Betazed.
  • tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    let the wounded go to the world and recover , build hospitals maybe

How many would die in route to Bak'u? At that time the Romulans were having problems with their wounded dieing between the front and the RSE.

From DS9 Episode Image in the Sand:
    CRETAK: Oh, one more thing. It's about Bajor's fourth moon.
    KIRA: Derna?
    CRETAK: It's uninhabited, correct?
    KIRA: Last time I checked.
    CRETAK: Do you think your government would allow us to set up a hospital facility there? Too many of our wounded are dying on the long journey back to Romulus.

Not to mention that transporting large numbers of wounded to Bak'u would tie up ships needed for the recent offensives in to Cardassian space.
    merrinset wrote: »
    Insurrection was just after the Dominion War. In the DS9 novels, the Enterprise was at Betazed.

Exactly when Insurrection happened is very debatable. If we go by air dates of the film and of DS9 then Insurrection happened around the middle of Season 7 of DS9
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Short answer to the OP: Everything.

Especially Gilbert & Sullivan in the middle of a dogfight.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • harryhausenharryhausen Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The only criticism I have of Insurrection is that it wasn't 'big' enough. It would've been a pretty good episode of the TNG TV show, but it didn't really have the greater scope that I, at least, expect when I'm going to shell out cash and make a trip to the movie theater.

BridgeBOPSTIII.jpg

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It would have made a good Star Trek episode. Even a two part Star Trek episode.
    But as a movie nothing worked. Even the actors phoned it in.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?