Options

So I was netflixin Enterprise...

2»

Comments

• Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Voyager was more inconsistent than anything imo: it had good episodes, the 'safe standbys' of the franchise, really bad ones, and better ones like 'Year of Hell'.

Enterprise... not entirely sure whether it was a worse kind of inconsistent than Voyager, or simply bad overall. Jury's still out on that one for me, but it did have it's moments (mostly in the last season).
    The last season of Enterprise is where they finally started to get their act together but by then the damage was done.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    erikmodi wrote: »
    Now, I like Voyager, mostly for the character development (something sorely lacking in Star Trek until late DS9.) But yeah, when Voyager was bad, it was REALLY bad, and when it was good, it was just pretty good. The only thing that made it work, when it did work, was the characters and their relationships. But there were times when even that couldn't save the show. The Doctor and Seven defining what it means to be human and alive are some of the most interesting aspects of any Star Trek show. Unfortunately, they never really seemed to know what to do with their fantastic characters, leading to a bunch of stories that were just kinda "meh."
    maxvitor wrote: »
    The last season of Enterprise is where they finally started to get their act together but by then the damage was done.

I concur with both of the above sentiments. Though really, the first two seasons of Enterprise were no worse than the first two seasons of TNG and DS9. The only reason they killed Enterprise is that fans were burned out from fifteen years of constant Trek, and when the new series didn't immediately satisfy them they tuned out.

For what it's worth, I think Enterprise as a whole is an excellent addition to the Star Trek universe.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    erikmodierikmodi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I think really killed Enterprise was the total disregard for canon. Even the Temporal Cold War concept seemed to me to be just an excuse to ignore canon whenever it suited the writers. It seemed especially egregious to ignore the two canon wars that were a fundamental part of the foundation of the Federation (the Romulan War and the Klingon War) and instead create a brand new alien, try to give them some importance (don't kill the Xindi, they'll be awesomesauce in a war a gajillion years from now!) and do a whole series arc about a war with them, when the fandom is already war-weary from DS9 doing the Dominion War for pretty much its entire run. It just felt like a slap in the face, and a total disregard for a franchise that, at its core, is about peaceful exploration to keep descending into war.

Now, the irony here is, a lot of what I blast bout Enterprise is what I hail about the reboots. HOWEVER, the reboots are intended be a fresh continuity, breaking away from everything that had been established prior. Enterprise was SUPPOSED to fit into all the pre-established continuity, and failed miserably at it. The whole premise of the reboot is that everything that went before is gone: from here on out, anything goes.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the problem with Enterprise is the same thing with this game and the JJ universe...when fans are presented with something different they don't like it. TNG created a formula that was replicated in DS9 and Voyager. If I have to deal with another holo deck gone wrong episode I would stab myself in the temple with a sharp piece of ice. Or the different crew member that learns what it means to be human ala Data/Odo/Seven of Nine.

That being said the only issue I had with Enterprise was the tech didnt look like it would evolve into TOS tech.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What I think really killed Enterprise was the total disregard for canon. Even the Temporal Cold War concept seemed to me to be just an excuse to ignore canon whenever it suited the writers. It seemed especially egregious to ignore the two canon wars that were a fundamental part of the foundation of the Federation (the Romulan War and the Klingon War) and instead create a brand new alien, try to give them some importance (don't kill the Xindi, they'll be awesomesauce in a war a gajillion years from now!) and do a whole series arc about a war with them, when the fandom is already war-weary from DS9 doing the Dominion War for pretty much its entire run. It just felt like a slap in the face, and a total disregard for a franchise that, at its core, is about peaceful exploration to keep descending into war.

Now, the irony here is, a lot of what I blast bout Enterprise is what I hail about the reboots. HOWEVER, the reboots are intended be a fresh continuity, breaking away from everything that had been established prior. Enterprise was SUPPOSED to fit into all the pre-established continuity, and failed miserably at it. The whole premise of the reboot is that everything that went before is gone: from here on out, anything goes.

I dont think people were war dearly...just DS9 had a very sanitized version of war. Half way through their run Battlestar Galactica comes out and shows people you can have an adult drama in space with war and not be cliche.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    That being said the only issue I had with Enterprise was the tech didnt look like it would evolve into TOS tech.

Enterprise had WAY more issues than that, but it was one.

It really became glaring in that some things really did look like primitive descendents of future Star Trek tech, and others didn't.

The phase pistols, for instance, I thought were brilliant. They looked like big, bulky guns that could eventually be streamlined into the phasers from later Trek shows. The PADDs looked like they could have walked off of the Next Gen sets, though, and the tricorders were probably the most compact and high-tech looking they'd ever been in ANY Trek show, without sacrificing any utility! I'd honestly rather have seen tricorders that looked more like modern Giger counters, complete with sensor attached by a cord (and giving it that classic "whirring" sound would have been a nice allusion to the later detachable probes from the various medical tricorders.)
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It seemed especially egregious to ignore the two canon wars that were a fundamental part of the foundation of the Federation (the Romulan War and the Klingon War)

Not sure what Klingon War you're referring to, but the Romulans were a big part of Season 4. Two major story arcs directly involved them, and it was leading up to the outbreak of open war.
    and instead create a brand new alien, try to give them some importance (don't kill the Xindi, they'll be awesomesauce in a war a gajillion years from now!)

It was more like "don't let the Xindi destroy Earth". If they had, the Federation would never have existed and the Sphere Builders would have conquered the galaxy. The Xindi themselves were more like pawns to the Sphere Builders than anything else.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I think the problem with Enterprise is the same thing with this game and the JJ universe...when fans are presented with something different they don't like it. TNG created a formula that was replicated in DS9 and Voyager. If I have to deal with another holo deck gone wrong episode I would stab myself in the temple with a sharp piece of ice. Or the different crew member that learns what it means to be human ala Data/Odo/Seven of Nine.

Every series had it's good and bad, it's not really a matter of different, but if you are trying to market something to fans of a franchise you are expected to meet those fan's expectations, when you make a prequel you have to be very careful to make it fit with the history of the franchise, Enterprise failed at that miserably. There are so many things they could have done with Enterprise that would have made for a good story that would have had nothing to do with the Borg, Ferenghi or time traveling alien space TRIBBLE. They could have made a ship that looked more primitive than the TOS Enterprise rather than a knock off of a design 200 years more advanced, they could have shown more about the founding races of the Federation rather than concentrating on alien races that would never be heard of again. So much potential, wasted. That is what really killed the series and that only served to accelerate fan burnout.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Enterprise had WAY more issues than that, but it was one.

It really became glaring in that some things really did look like primitive descendents of future Star Trek tech, and others didn't.

The phase pistols, for instance, I thought were brilliant. They looked like big, bulky guns that could eventually be streamlined into the phasers from later Trek shows. The PADDs looked like they could have walked off of the Next Gen sets, though, and the tricorders were probably the most compact and high-tech looking they'd ever been in ANY Trek show, without sacrificing any utility! I'd honestly rather have seen tricorders that looked more like modern Giger counters, complete with sensor attached by a cord (and giving it that classic "whirring" sound would have been a nice allusion to the later detachable probes from the various medical tricorders.)

*Flicks from one internet explore tab to the other on his windows phone and bangs out this response in twelve seconds with predictive typing while listening to The Who*

Uh huh.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Every series had it's good and bad, it's not really a matter of different, but if you are trying to market something to fans of a franchise you are expected to meet those fan's expectations, when you make a prequel you have to be very careful to make it fit with the history of the franchise, Enterprise failed at that miserably. There are so many things they could have done with Enterprise that would have made for a good story that would have had nothing to do with the Borg, Ferenghi or time traveling alien space TRIBBLE. They could have made a ship that looked more primitive than the TOS Enterprise rather than a knock off of a design 200 years more advanced, they could have shown more about the founding races of the Federation rather than concentrating on alien races that would never be heard of again. So much potential, wasted. That is what really killed the series and that only served to accelerate fan burnout.

Its not like the TOS dealt with Space TRIBBLE. The Borg storyline was just a continuation from FC, no biggie. The Ferengi, you got me on that one.

However, the design of the NX fits. If Season Five was able to made, the new refitted NX would've been fine. Except for the Ferengi, the whole series fits as a prequel. I really don't understand on what fans would want in terms of style that would have fit pre-TOS. I mean, what 40s style or 50s? People are all of up in arms that the Daedalus wasn't used, but even the modelmakers who built it, said the model was not meant to be seen up close and it was meant to be generic. I have seen the real model at Star Trek The Experience, it sucked.

From what I get, Enterprise just didn't fit people's expectations of what pre-TOS looked like. Besides, Enterprise only got four seasons, and that fourth one was good. The first two were obivous that Berman was trying to rekindle the spirit of TNG, it failed because it was an old concept. while the third season was Berman trying to do dark Trek, but failed because it was the opposite of what Trek was or at least what fans thought Trek was.
  • Options
    cosmonaut12345cosmonaut12345 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As an old-time Spock/Diane Duane, fan, I was pretty annoyed by how the show treated Vulcans. Some of that was on the macro scale, as when I guess we weren't supposed to want T'Pol to throttle Archer during the pilot? (I will give them that Archer convincingly had pre-Kirk attitudes about Vulcans, it just turned out to be something unpleasant to watch on screen)

The spectacle of the Vulcan High Command as a bunch of bigoted mindmeldphobes who just needed a Space Honky like Archer to come in and tell them how they _should_ be living. (Surak's katra goes in Archer's brain? WTF? WTF?)

And yeah, of course the show isn't bound to novel canon, but when the transition is from "This is an ancient and fascinating society that has endured for centuries" to "This is a bunch of weird aliens who need to be saved from themselves by humans", it's still annoying.

(And then there are the larger issues of the Bragaverse desire to write unemotional alien women in catsuits getting their freak on - jeez, poor T'Pol)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i liked enterprise but yes, i was a bit underwhelmed the first two seasons. i understood what berman was trying but the way he went about it left some room for improvement, enough to park a galaxy class ship and that ridiculous sized saucer head!

as posted before me and agreed that there could of been more exploration at home to understand the federation and its politics instead of an outsiders view of the whole thing, sort ofa cross between ds9 politics and that awful soap TRIBBLE you find on tv without it focusing too much on the individuals, but rather the founding of the federation at large.

i mean there was a huge amount of room to find out what the federation was really about, the style and tastes, the politics involved, if there is a central federation senate or something like that, the various embassies for foreign dignitaries and such. just pure trek nerd first in each episode. but we could also play it from other angles as well and learn about other cultures, example one of the main characters goes to vulcan on an officer exchange programme on a 4 parter, that focused on the job there, again looking at the styles and taste of that culture. or exploring more of a starship with a tour. of course trek isnt trek without some exploration of new worlds and such without the mystery behind it, just to explore for the sake of it, focurse you cant expect diplomacy and exploration not to have any fighting.

it all could of worked up to season 5 where more of the borg and romulans before the earth-romulan war started and after the remote controlled aenar drone incident. we could of learned a great deal about romulan life, remans and such.

then when the federation was formed, the challenges of the newly created mutinational race, how they are resolved while investigating a threat that wants to undo it on the side to keep it interesting (romulans ofcourse ;) )...

again, so much could of been done.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not sure what Klingon War you're referring to, but the Romulans were a big part of Season 4. Two major story arcs directly involved them, and it was leading up to the outbreak of open war.

They also mentioned that the Romulan-Earth war (and the events leading to it) would have been the subject of ENT S5, hadn't they cancelled it... :(
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They also mentioned that the Romulan-Earth war (and the events leading to it) would have been the subject of ENT S5, hadn't they cancelled it... :(

It should have been the main subject of the show from season 1, but no ... they just had to invent this stupid temporal cold war, covered in an abundance of filler episodes which did not progress the story at all. Apparently no one told them that modern TV series work these days more like overlong movies and not like a pile of loosely connected mini episodes.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    i liked enterprise but yes, i was a bit underwhelmed the first two seasons. i understood what berman was trying but the way he went about it left some room for improvement, enough to park a galaxy class ship and that ridiculous sized saucer head!

Whew! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Galaxy-class looks just a little ridiculous.

Now, I liked SOME of the things they tried to do with the Vulcans, but again it was a case of interesting ideas mired in lousy execution. The Vulcans are emotional messes one and all, despite claiming every other line that they have no emotions at all. BULL. Possibly the thing I love most about the reboot is Sarek and Spock talking about Vulcans and emotions, with Sarek flat-out admitting that "Emotions run deep within our race. More deeply than in humans, in some ways." Anyone who knows anything about Vulcans knows that they turned to pure logic as a way to control their emotions to prevent themselves from turning their homeworld into a radioactive asteroid belt. That emotional control was sorely lacking in almost every single character, but T'Pol. . . oh my god, that poor abused Vulcan. First she gets mindraped and picks up a mental TRIBBLE that makes it harder for her to control her emotions, then she gets addicted to toxic rocks that break down her ability to control her emotions. . . what, the writers were afraid of trying to write a Vulcan as an interesting character without giving her emotional turmoil every thirty seconds? Watch some ToS episodes for how Spock was handled, or read some of the better novels. . . heck, hire Diane Duane and Diane Carey to write your Vulcans (just don't let them drop in their Mary Sues.) I really have to credit Jolene Blalock here for taking those sorry, sorry plot developments and playing them SO beautifully. Her acting skills are about the only thing that makes her character watchable, even enjoyable, especially when they switched to those God-awful brightly colored catsuits. The brown-grey one she wore in season one at least seemed like something a Vulcan might wear, but the blue and pink and fuschia ones they put her in later made her look like she should be on the runway at some avante-garde sci-fi themed fetish fashion show. . . or the subject of a rather unusual Easter egg hunt.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I will give them credit with Enterprise - they avoided Voyager's primary mistake, which was not to take risks. But the risks they did take were generally not very good.

I do feel for the art people - making something look plausibly more primitive than TOS but at the same time not look terrible in Hi-Def would probably have been v. difficult. Still, that is their job! And it was the suits who evidently overruled the attempt at a Daedalusprise and instead gave us the NX-01.

But yeah, Archer's Dances With Vulcans bit, bleah.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I will give them credit with Enterprise - they avoided Voyager's primary mistake, which was not to take risks. But the risks they did take were generally not very good.

I do feel for the art people - making something look plausibly more primitive than TOS but at the same time not look terrible in Hi-Def would probably have been v. difficult. Still, that is their job! And it was the suits who evidently overruled the attempt at a Daedalusprise and instead gave us the NX-01.

But yeah, Archer's Dances With Vulcans bit, bleah.

Before, Drex Files was taken down, Drexler went into the design process of the NX-01. They wanted a design derivative of the Daedalus, but Berman wanted a ship with the basic elements of Star Trek in order to be visually identified with Star Trek. You didn't follow through with Archer's dance. At first, the Enterprise Vulcans were very different but in the Fourth Season, they had a good arc that helped explained it (Not a planned explanation, but a good way evolve modern Vulcans)

About the Galaxy, if you read the various fanzines in the 80s when TNG and the new-Enterprise was first announced, you think the new Enterprise from Trek 09 outcry was bad.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The only problem I have with the Reboot Enterprise is that the nacelles seem too big in comparison with the rest of the ship. . . especially the secondary hull (kinda similar to my complaint about the Galaxy. . . the saucer is almost the same size as the rest of the bloody ship!) Other than that, I think she's a damn fine looking piece of engineering.
  • Options
    desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Once Moore took over as the show runner in season 4 it was actually quite good. Getting at why the Federation came to be and why humans were instrumental, even as the new kids on the block, was a good overarching theme. That combined with the general dangers of doing deep space exploration for this first time would have made a more appropriate starting point for the series. The temporal cold war wasn't an awful idea, but it certainly shouldn't have been the focus of the first episode and they should have never done the entire Xindi arc (which was ok in and off itself ignoring anything trek). I like the idea that the entrance of humans into the galaxy as a power is a significant event and leads to a large powerful alliance that brings long-term stability to the region.

As for the look and feel I am fine with the amount of retconning that took place. The look and feel of TOS circa 1967 looks absurd tech wise today. Likewise with the later series as well. The challenge was always create something that looks futuristic enough given what we have now.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That was Manny Coto, not Moore.
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, this is one of the many reasons why I universally hate story lines that involve time travel.

My buddy down in my signature knows what I'm talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Exactly. The first time I heard "Temporal Cold War," I knew Enterprise was going to torque me off. I wanted to watch a show about humanity taking it's first steps into space and eventually becoming pivotal in the formation of the Federation. The Temporal Cold War meant I wasn't watching that show. . . I was watching a show about some frellniks from the future messing around with humanity's first steps into space and becoming pivotal in the formation of the Federation. And that's just not a show that was very interesting to me.
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's like a roller coaster where it makes a loop and the track crosses, even though you past the loop, it's still there...

Nothing to see here, just another time-paradox, please move on...
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If Ron Moore had taken over as the showrunner, Archer would have turned out to be the Messiah and the show would have had a weird, pointless ending, so that was an understandable mistake.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Before, Drex Files was taken down, Drexler went into the design process of the NX-01. They wanted a design derivative of the Daedalus, but Berman wanted a ship with the basic elements of Star Trek in order to be visually identified with Star Trek. You didn't follow through with Archer's dance. At first, the Enterprise Vulcans were very different but in the Fourth Season, they had a good arc that helped explained it (Not a planned explanation, but a good way evolve modern Vulcans)

About the Galaxy, if you read the various fanzines in the 80s when TNG and the new-Enterprise was first announced, you think the new Enterprise from Trek 09 outcry was bad.

No, I followed through just fine, eld - I understand that there was an in-universe explanation for what they did, I just found it deeply unconvincing, and not particularly good writing to boot. If nothing else, if we're doing a story where there's a significant 22nd century reform of Vulcan society, at least let the Vulcan do it.

I look at it this way - if Rightful Heir had been the story of Picard rescuing Kahless from the priests of Borath and bringing the true story of his legacy to the Empire, would the episode have been nearly as good?

(Note: Maybe you think so, and that's fine! Everybody looks at these differently)