test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning player: Romulan, ally fed or kdf?

cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Academy
Hi all,

I'll be returning to the game for the expansion. Really excited to make a Romulan character, and fly the iconic Romulan ships. I'm hoping you guys that have been playing recently can help choose whether to ally with the Feds, or with KDF.

Some info about me, and why I'm torn about the decision:

I'm a Klingon player at heart. I started playing at release, levelled a Fed only to be able to make a Klingon character, and never looked back. When I realised how absolutely atrocious Klingon support was in the game I quit. I waited and waited for things to get better for KDF...

Then I started playing again shortly after BOFFS were introduced. Things looked a lot better for KDF! Played for a few months.The game had gone F2P, so wanting to support the Devs, and there being no attractive (to me) endgame ships, I bought a few console ships (I remember the plasmonic leech being the good one). Anyway, when Cardassian Boffs were introduced, there were missions to get purple Boffs... that rewarded Fed-only Boffs when done on your Klingon toon. So, I quit again.

So, here I am. I want to come back. Optimally, I would like to make my Romulan ally with the Klingons, to get access to my already bought consoles. My hope is that Klingon-side support is finally there. I fear it isn't. What say you guys?

TLDR: Returning player with purchased Klingon consoles asks whether to ally with FED or KDF on his Romulan toon.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The short answer is, not sure if we can tell you or not. The Klingon Side is getting a revamp in this expansion as well, and we're not sure how exactly its going to effect the Klingons.

A longer answer is, the Klingon hasn't changed much since the last time you left. They pretty much get a ship when the Feds get a ship now, consoles are about the same as they ever were, with a few new ones from the Lobi store that both KDF and Feds get access too.

Truth be told on Tribble my Romulan went with the KDF, then another with the Feds, and the differences are minimal in Romulan gameplay. Pretty much the big difference is, which consoles do you like to use the most. Storyline wise, the Romulans get their own storyline, pretty much up to the point were the Feds and the KDF share quests anyway. Minor differences in uniforms (I personnaly like the Klinkrom uniforms better then the Fedrom uniforms) and leveling up you can have access to your allies ships up to T5, where you can only use lockbox ships, lobi store ships, and Romulan ships.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Romulans get their own storyline that's basically the same whichever side they ally with, with some minor differences in the "Allies" arc - you're doing the same basic things but with different set dressings.

You can use any tier 1-4 ships you have from your allied faction, and can use their universal consoles on warbirds, so you'll get your consoles. The Romulan racial trait also heavily benefits cloaks, so if you want to use an allied ship, you'll carry that over. All Romulan ships have battle cloaks, but you might prefer a M/A warp core to a singularity one or just not like the generally sluggish turn rates on Warbirds.

You also join fleets with your allied faction, and get your fleet ships based on your fleet's starbase. There's more tier 5 fleets fed side, and a lot more likely to hit that in the next few months. So that's a consideration if you want a fleet D'derix or Ha'apax.

One thing you *don't* get is your allied faction's tier 5 ships. There's a chance the devs will change this before live, but right now, once you hit Admiral you're back in a warbird either way, and allied ships become a smaller factor. You do still have your universal consoles, though.

It's also worth tossing out that the Klingons are getting more storyline, as well, including a new tutorial, a series of missions before the existing ones, and one more mission in the middle of their existing progression. This is not accessible to aligned Romulans, only to actual Klingon characters.

Plus all three factions are getting a front relating to Nimbus III that's in the journals but not playable on tribble.
  • zebramaniiizebramaniii Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well it sounds like you have more or less already made up your mind. You obviously like Klingons so picking to side with the KDF sounds like the best option for you.

I will most likely be siding with the Federation at least with my first Romulan character though I intend to make at least 3 Romulans (one for each class) and so one will probably end up on the Klingon side.

When it comes to using Klingon or Federation ships as a Romulan, you will only be able to use those from Tier 1-4 so at end game you will still be using Romulan or lockbox ships no matter which side you pick.
    ***Sausages for All***
    Federation - Mirel II, Tala Lyleh sh'Ezlem, Vro'kul, Jahrel, Giweatu, Jhrol th'Ezlem, Katariina Rebane, Eleftheria Palaiologou, Surel, Saimon, TheEfficientSaurian
    KDF -Mirel I, Anirez Norai, Talash
    Romulans - T'Lara, Makath 'The Needle' Ayailat, Mirel III
  • cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you both for your quick replies. To be honest, both fleet starbases and "Lobi" were introduced after I last quit, so I have little knowledge of either. Google-fu tells me that "Lobi" I get from lockboxes (is this what they did to solve the problem that people were upset about the randomness of the rewards?), and that fleets grant access to the new top-tier ships. It seems I will have to look for a fleet that will take a rusty old-timer like myself then (None of my old pals seem to be playing anymore).

I'm leaning towards Klingon right now (better uniforms, and all my old consoles? Yes please! And I figure I don't need there to be more top tier fleets, I only need one, that is mature, drama free,and will take me)

My only concern at this point is crippled content. At release, Klingons were so crippled, that you couldn't spec to increase your effectiveness flying Klingon ships... only Fed ships (yes, you read that right, Klingons could only spec into ships they couldn't fly). It's gotten better, but the BOFFS episode is not that far in the past... will Klingons, and their Romulan allies, finally be able to sit at the grownup table?

Cryptic? Anyone?
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd encourage you to download tribble and take a look - you might not have access to the Romulan beta, but you can transfer a Klingon and see a lot of the in-progress stuff there. There's still a big worry that not enough players will spend money on KDF and Romulan content and things will fall back by the wayside, but as it is, Klingons are getting a number of new missions of their own, several new shared missions, and access to a modified Cardassian front. Fed still has more missions total, but not by much, less than one front's worth.

Romulans, meanwhile, get a fairly small lineup of ships, but they're all on completely unique mechanics - not just varied stats or equipment, but the way their power levels work is different. They've got as many missions as Klingons (still slightly behind Federation), but also get some of the highest quality missions in the game - benefitting from the new technologies that were added in FE3 and 4, but not overdone in those respects like some of those missions were.

The Federation still has the head chair, but everyone's at the grownup table.
    edited April 2013
    Well it sounds like you have more or less already made up your mind. You obviously like Klingons so picking to side with the KDF sounds like the best option for you.

No, not quite. As I said: I *want* to side with KDF, but I'm afraid to do so. Last two times I played KDF I ended up quitting the game because of how bad it was.

I will most likely be siding with the Federation at least with my first Romulan character though

Can I ask you why? If it's a personal reason (friends, fleet whatever), that's fine you don't have to share. But if it's some game-mechanic reason, etc. I'd love to know, if you're willing to tell. As I said from the beginning, I'm leaning towards KDF. But I've been burnt before for doing so. It is possible that if I had been more drawn to Fed than KDF in the beginning, I would've never quit the game.
  • buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like to focus less on story content than on endgame content, as that is where you will spent the VAST majority of your time. You can lvl all the way to 50 in less than a week.

The Romulan faction will be more independent than you think. As I understand it you will get access to your allies T1-T4 ships, so no endgame ships, their DOFF system, PvP and PvE ques, and their fleets. So:

FED: More players mean more and larger fleets, possibly easier access to higher tier fleet stuffs. More players if making premade teams is your thing. Larger player support base.
    The BIG one: PvP play. The Fed ques run MUCH faster so you will be spending less time loitering and more time playing if PvP is your thing.

KDF: IMO better players on average, people who play KDF tend to be more experienced and more PvP oriented. So you will have better help in PvP matches untill you get up to spec. I personally find the KDF more fun to play. Slower PvP ques, KvK is almost dead. Much smaller player base, fewer large fleets so get in early.
    My BIG one: the KDF DOFF system. Devote 5min each day to doing Marauding missions and with a little time you can get enough prisoners and contraband to meet your daily cap easily.
    WHAT THIS MEANS is you will have more resources to get better equipment and you can spend much less time grinding dilithium and more time just playing and having fun.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From the Klingon standpoint. You aren't going to get many answers. They just aren't there. They have it set up so when LoR goes live, you will be able to roll a KDF character at level one, without ever having a Federation or Romulan character, and of course the same applies to the other factions.

There appears to be unique mission content to support this. From the developers it seems you get a unique storyline experience from level 1-40 at which point the stories all roll into one another in the usual agnostic content such as FEs and endgame stuff. The Nimbus missions seem to be agnostic as well, and are in the middle of the story arcs. so Probably it is more closer to level 1 to level 35 as far as unique content. but again, it is hard to nail down the unique vs agnostic because they are somewhat inter-dispersed with one another.

However, all of this is roughly a work in progress as the KDF missions have not been officially released on tribble (although if you have a toon already on tribble, as you can't make a kDF character right now, you can play some of the missions) so it is hard to say what you will or will not get from LoR hitting Holodeck.

From a KDF/FED Romulan. It really is a personal choice. Who you align with is largely irrelevant to the overall storyline. The "allies" arc has minor changes, based on who you are aligned with, but nothing really that effects storyline. Romulans are for all intensive purposes their own faction. All that really matters is what faction specific/lockbox consoles you really want. I would suggest looking on the wiki for this and seeing what consoles each of the current factions can use and what best fits your play style and go from there.
  • levdarkenlevdarken Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi all,

I'll be returning to the game for the expansion. Really excited to make a Romulan character, and fly the iconic Romulan ships. I'm hoping you guys that have been playing recently can help choose whether to ally with the Feds, or with KDF.

Some info about me, and why I'm torn about the decision:

I'm a Klingon player at heart. I started playing at release, levelled a Fed only to be able to make a Klingon character, and never looked back. When I realised how absolutely atrocious Klingon support was in the game I quit. I waited and waited for things to get better for KDF...

.[/B]

It's an easy choice. In SFC3 there was lots of diplomacy between the factions. Fed, Rom, and Klink alike. I'll personally be going with what we had in sfc3 and carry it over to sto. That means....... My Rom, LordAzack, shall ally with the Klingons, more specifically... The Klingon Honor Guards. Unless ofcourse TF suddenly pops up somewhere in which case I shall be torn for about 2 seconds before allying with KHG anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    and leveling up you can have access to your allies ships up to T5, where you can only use lockbox ships, lobi store ships, and Romulan ships.

Not true. A Romulan has access to any of their allied faction's T5 ships that are account unlocks. If you're a fed-rom and you have the Odyssey or Armitage, you'll be able to use them. Though why you'd want to when you have access to the sexy D'deridex is beyond me.
  • shadowaxxshadowaxx Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Has there been any info on Veteran ships and new romulan characters?
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not true. A Romulan has access to any of their allied faction's T5 ships that are account unlocks. If you're a fed-rom and you have the Odyssey or Armitage, you'll be able to use them. Though why you'd want to when you have access to the sexy D'deridex is beyond me.

Incorrect. From the Dev Blog that discusses Romulan ship progression:
    Allied Ships (Updated!)

When a Romulan Captain chooses to ally with the Federation or the Klingon Defense Force, they gain access to a limited number of their ally?s ships. Romulan Captains can obtain Tier 1 through Tier 4 allied ships for Dilithium or in the C-Store, depending on the specific ship. Romulan Captains cannot command, nor purchase/ claim, Tier 5 (Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Brigadier General, or Lieutenant General) ships from the faction that they have allied with.
    (Emphasis in original)
    shadowaxx wrote: »
    Has there been any info on Veteran ships and new romulan characters?
    There will not be a Romulan Veteran ship, flagship, or Scimitar at launch, but they're on the list of post-launch Romulan items.
    edited April 2013
    Thank you everyone! Some of you have mentioned things I hadn't considered (like queue times). That's exactly what I've been hoping to get. Any other concerns/reasons why any of you would suggest Fed over KDF or vice versa?

Many thanks to everyone so far!
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm going KDF, and I have been encouraging our fleet members to do the same.

1) Ships that cloak. You get access to T1-T4 kdf ships, which most of the standard ones have built in cloak. As a Romulan, you will have Subterfuge as a trait, which can take excellent advantage of the kdf ships (should you decide to use their ships).

2) Fleet gear. Fed is phaser. KDF is disruptor. And the additional proc that come with the fleet weapons are better on the kdf side imo.

3) Access to faction specific consoles as already mentioned.

And one comment of the PVP ques. I think the numbers will be a little more balanced once people start rolling Romulans.

The only reason I can think of to go Fed is you are more likely to find a fleet with higher tier starbases. Tentative dev blog has put the iconic D'deridex as a T4 fleet shipyard unlock. You can always fly the regular D'deridex, but a 'fleet' version will require a T4 shipyard from a fleet. That said, the 44th is on countdown to complete its KDF T4 shipyard in less than a week, and we would welcome you if you are looking for a fleet. (yes, shameless plug I know). The only caveat is that we have a '1 fleet' policy - we want all your alts to be in the fleet, and your Fed alts to be in our Fed fleet.
    edited April 2013

So, here I am. I want to come back. Optimally, I would like to make my Romulan ally with the Klingons, to get access to my already bought consoles. My hope is that Klingon-side support is finally there. I fear it isn't. What say you guys?

TLDR: Returning player with purchased Klingon consoles asks whether to ally with FED or KDF on his Romulan toon.

Well I'm going Fed.

1. I've got three-four toons worth of blue/purple Fed doffs.

2. Fed stuff is generally less rare on the exchange, making it somewhat cheaper.

3. Lots of fed boffs with rare skills I've got available to transfer.

4. My fed toons are in a rather active fed fleet that I'm attached to.

5. Feds have a much larger community. As such queues pop faster (PvE and especially PvP) and forming teams for activities such as Epohh tagging is much less hassle.

For me this basically makes feds grind light.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse