test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What exactly is our incentive to play Foundry missions?

I ask this with genuine sincerity. I've been back for about a month now after being gone for awhile and noticed that the "Investigate Officer Reports" mission no longer gives fleet marks. The Foundry seems to be something that Cryptic is encouraging the player base to try but it seems to me they're not giving the player base a reason to try it. Yes I'm sure it can be argued that "the content" is the reason to try Foundry missions but I just don't think that's going to appeal to the average player. I myself might try one on a lark but I don't feel an "excitement" to try a Foundry mission as the Foundry system stands now. Why were the fleet marks removed in the first place? Abuse? If that is the case then it was a heavy handed approach to just remove them. Any Foundry system is going to be open to abuse, the problem missions just need to be found and removed. Anyway, was just curious. Thanks for reading!
I have seen what power does. And I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.
Post edited by father0niveus on

Comments

• afreebyafreeby Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dilithium.

Fleetmarks were originally a limited time thing according to some patch note somewhere, and there were many complaints about grinder/farming missions.

Many people argued for removal of grinder/farming missions, but they're still there.

From a mercenary standpoint, it's about dilithium. Cryptic wants you to earn it.

Personally? I miss the fleet marks, it was a solid way to contribute to fleets without playing the fleet missions, none of which I particularly care for.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2013
    It's kind of something that every player has to decide for themselves. Me personally, I play Foundry missions because I enjoy the experience of playing. If I get a little something for doing it, that's cool, but for me it isn't necessary. I just like to see what people make and if I'm entertained by it with or without any tangible reward, I don't consider my time wasted if I don't get any dilithium. Given the numerous dev statements on the subject, I believe this to be the point of the Foundry. It is a creative outlet, rather than content to be played only for rewards. We should remember that the Foundry as originally conceived did not have any rewards, and plenty of people still played missions.

But that's me, and I know and accept that not everyone thinks like that, in the same way that I know and accept people feel like the game forces them to grind, even though I personally don't feel it does.

Cryptic has gone the route in a lot of their content that no one aspect of the content awards every currency. For example: Crystalline Catastrophe does not reward Romulan marks or fleet marks, Azure Nebula does not reward fleet marks or dilithium, etc etc. You have to decide for yourself what content you want to do, and how you come to that decision is also up to you, whether you decide it by what you find fun, what currency you want, etc. And at the moment, if all you are looking for is fleet marks, the Foundry is not what you want, but there is other content that has them.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Don't forget you can trade in Commendation XP (Doff exp) for fleet marks
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    It's kind of something that every player has to decide for themselves. Me personally, I play Foundry missions because I enjoy the experience of playing. If I get a little something for doing it, that's cool, but for me it isn't necessary. I just like to see what people make and if I'm entertained by it with or without any tangible reward, I don't consider my time wasted if I don't get any dilithium. Given the numerous dev statements on the subject, I believe this to be the point of the Foundry. It is a creative outlet, rather than content to be played only for rewards. We should remember that the Foundry as originally conceived did not have any rewards, and plenty of people still played missions.

But that's me, and I know and accept that not everyone thinks like that, in the same way that I know and accept people feel like the game forces them to grind, even though I personally don't feel it does.

Cryptic has gone the route in a lot of their content that no one aspect of the content awards every currency. For example: Crystalline Catastrophe does not reward Romulan marks or fleet marks, Azure Nebula does not reward fleet marks or dilithium, etc etc. You have to decide for yourself what content you want to do, and how you come to that decision is also up to you, whether you decide it by what you find fun, what currency you want, etc. And at the moment, if all you are looking for is fleet marks, the Foundry is not what you want, but there is other content that has them.

I agree it is fun to see what authors create and lately the only things I do in game are Doff missions, foundry and a little time on New Romulus occasionally. I have played a few missions that qualify for rewards without getting said rewards though. What gives????
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    It's kind of something that every player has to decide for themselves. Me personally, I play Foundry missions because I enjoy the experience of playing.

Agreed .
    However I find that the time I do have to play the game in general is largely eaten up by the Grind -- thus I have little to no time for Foundry-as-it-was-intended .

Thus I was and still am a proponent of 'exploits' as they actually have the side effect to free me up to play the game the way I want to instead of the way Cryptic 'intended' .
    Because as things stand , it's a no win scenario .

Now the latest 'exploit' went by so fast that I did not have the time to take part .
    But a number of my fleet mates have .
    Now as I belong to a Fleet that produces a podcast , I was wondering if my Fleet Leader will be approaching Cryptic with something akin to : " thanks for banning most of my fleet , and by the way , could we still get an interview ? "

:confused:
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good foundry missions feel more like Star Trek than most aspects of this MMO. I play foundry because I like good Trek stories in a Star Trek video game. I don't care about stuffz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I ask this with genuine sincerity.

The story and creativity, duh!

:D

Remember kids, you dont need endgame :lootz: in sto :)

Sincerely,

Me.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There isn't any.

They don't pay anything but dilithium (that can be made easier/quicker with official content), few are so highly ranked they don't fall off the pay/no pay list every other day, and if you don't give a high ranking of the mission you play...

LOOK OUT !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    afreeby wrote: »
    Dilithium.

Fleetmarks were originally a limited time thing according to some patch note somewhere, and there were many complaints about grinder/farming missions.

Many people argued for removal of grinder/farming missions, but they're still there.

From a mercenary standpoint, it's about dilithium. Cryptic wants you to earn it.

Personally? I miss the fleet marks, it was a solid way to contribute to fleets without playing the fleet missions, none of which I particularly care for.

I have almost a thousand fleet marks sitting in one of my accounts, unused and likely unusable any time soon, because fleet mark requirements for most projects are ridiculously low (at least compared to dilithium), and other fleet members, presumably also sitting on huge piles of fleet marks, tend to swoop in and fill up fleet mark requirements in one blast immediately after a project begins (which is usually while I'm asleep). So, to me it's just as well that they nerfed the fleet marks out of the Foundry rewards.
  • father0niveusfather0niveus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks to all of you for giving me your input. Some food for thought here. Not sure it'll change how I feel currently but food for thought nonetheless.
    I have seen what power does. And I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other.
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you sit down to watch TNG or your other favourite Star Trek film, do you first think, hmm I wonder what rewards I will get for watching this? /snip

this guy gets it, right here.
  • afreebyafreeby Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Even the best foundry missions don't stack up to even the worst episode of voyager, and it's Warp 10 salamander.
  • sampa4sampa4 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me, it's all about collecting dilithium to exchange for zen (the fleet ships have NOT caught my interest in the least (MUCH cheaper to make a one-time purchase of a ship and then be able to own that ship on each further character you choose to create, than to purchase a fleet ship and then have to go back and re-purchase it on a different character!))
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm...Must be playing the wrong foundry missions.
This discussion has been closed.