test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Updating Plasma Weapons assets

sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
I gotta say, play testing the new Romulan expansion stuff has got me really pumped for the release. Already got to the final arc and anxiously awaiting the release of the next ones. My hat is tipped to the Cryptic team!

That being said, I'd like to make a suggestion or two, to help enhance the experience a bit.

Considering that Romulan weaponry seems to be almost exclusively plasma-oriented these days, I figure it's high time to tweak the ship-based plasma weapon sound FX. While the visuals are okay enough, and the sounds that the beams make is fine, the sounds made by the cannon weapons is, frankly, aggravating as all get-out.
I figure doing something for the sound effects would help quite a bit, make them less annoying (at least to me and any others that may be bothered by them). Maybe something along the lines of a zapping sound, or some kinda futuristic electrical discharge? Plasma is an ionized gas, so it may be appropriate.

Also, I am incredibly fond of the Romulan styled pistols and rifles. Sadly, we only get so many of them until we can do the Reputation missions (and subsequently unlock them). Both Starfleet and the KDF have phaser and disruptor weapons made in the styles of their factions, so why not roll up a bunch of lower level, non-Reputation store Romulan-styled plasma weapons? That way those of us who really enjoy the weapon models don't have to suffer through having to use the generic plasma weapon designs until we can get the Reputation system unlocked, or do the Vault mission that rewards you with, like... two Romulan disruptor weapons, haha.

I hope these aren't too much to ask for, but I think they'd go a long way to adding to the Romulan experience.
".... you're gonna have a bad time."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Gotta say I agree with you on the sound fx. Cant stand them.

Personally, I think they should make the "shots" from romulan dhc's and turrets larger and stand out more. Even with graphics quality dialled up it can be quite hard to make them out. Not what I'd expect from MkXII weaponry, especially since its supposed to be the latest gear from romulan r and d.
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Also, I am incredibly fond of the Romulan styled pistols and rifles. Sadly, we only get so many of them until we can do the Reputation missions (and subsequently unlock them). Both Starfleet and the KDF have phaser and disruptor weapons made in the styles of their factions, so why not roll up a bunch of lower level, non-Reputation store Romulan-styled plasma weapons? That way those of us who really enjoy the weapon models don't have to suffer through having to use the generic plasma weapon designs until we can get the Reputation system unlocked, or do the Vault mission that rewards you with, like... two Romulan disruptor weapons, haha.

Some of the Plasma weapons available from the Flotille have a new style, much better looking than the current Plasma weapons IMO and looking as though they're an older version of the Reputation weapons (I'm not sure if that was the intention).

1184177.jpg

That's a common Wide Beam Rifle, available from the Flotilla ground equipment vendor for EC. There are several other weapons, I only used this and the Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle and they both had the same appearance, not sure if the others are any different.

EDIT: I have no idea why it spells flotilla incorrect in that first sentence. It appears correct when editing but looks incorrect when posted.
  • Options
    morkargh117morkargh117 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like new sound effects for the space plasma cannons, they sound pretty annoying...and not very cool either.
  • Options
    glassguitarglassguitar Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I happen to really like the sound my plasma cannons make.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mwgacy1 wrote: »
    Some of the Plasma weapons available from the Flotille have a new style, much better looking than the current Plasma weapons IMO and looking as though they're an older version of the Reputation weapons (I'm not sure if that was the intention).

1184177.jpg

That's a common Wide Beam Rifle, available from the Flotilla ground equipment vendor for EC. There are several other weapons, I only used this and the Plasma Piercing Beam Rifle and they both had the same appearance, not sure if the others are any different.

EDIT: I have no idea why it spells flotilla incorrect in that first sentence. It appears correct when editing but looks incorrect when posted.

Ahhh, I didn't notice that. Do they not have their own icons? Because it didn't exactly catch my eye when I was browsing the selection.
    I happen to really like the sound my plasma cannons make.

Okay but you're wrong. :P
  • Options
    mwgacy1mwgacy1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    Ahhh, I didn't notice that. Do they not have their own icons? Because it didn't exactly catch my eye when I was browsing the selection

They had similar, if not the same, icons to the reputation weapons. They certainly didn't have the normal Plasma weapon icons. I'm fairly certain they start at Mk V too, the Mk I items there were the same as on Holodeck.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mwgacy1 wrote: »
    They had similar, if not the same, icons to the reputation weapons. They certainly didn't have the normal Plasma weapon icons. I'm fairly certain they start at Mk V too, the Mk I items there were the same as on Holodeck.

I'll have to check those out next time I'm on the TTS, then.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Update: Just checked out the Flotilla's Quartermaster, and sure enough, he does indeed have a bunch of Romulan-themed plasma weapons, which is awesome, so thank you mwgacy1 for pointing this out to me. There's even a few in the D-Store now, which is nice, though I hope we can see similar ones as loot drops in the future, haha.
    Anyways, I guess all that's left is to hope that the sound FX for space-based plasma weapons get updated somewhat!
  • Options
    smidgysmidgy Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Kinda related to this - if Romulan is to be to Plasma weapons what the Federation is to Phasers and Klingons are to Disruptors, then it might be an idea to either replace the low-level crafted Phaser/Disruptor weapons with Plasma ones or simply add them so that Romulan characters can craft instead of buying, if they're of a mind to do so.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There's a thought, but it almost seems too obvious a thing to do. Maybe we'll see this happen as part of some as-yet unreleased content for LoR on Tribble?