test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Docking at ESD

deepspacejunkiedeepspacejunkie Member Posts: 82 Arc User
A fleet mate of mine made a interesting point today

Why is it that when you approach ESD or any other star base it says "dock" yet when you load the map you start in the transporter room, why don't we start in some kind of hanger?
Arwin - Bane - Logan - Heniken - Seltek - Ariel - NoBeer4u
Post edited by deepspacejunkie on

Comments

• Options
    kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A fleet mate of mine made a interesting point today

Why is it that when you approach ESD or any other star base it says "dock" yet when you load the map you start in the transporter room, why don't we start in some kind of hanger?

Your ship docks, you use transporter, cause it faster and more convenient.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Even though graphically it looks small ESD is huge, imagine the number of ships and the size of them that are docked. Therefore as kwait said you transport to the "important" area it is faster and more convenient. It also cuts down on the number of loading screens which is always a good thing.
  • Options
    giaranagiarana Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just wish that we didn't have to fly up to point blank to be able to 'dock/transport'. I can beam to the academy from anywhere inside Sol system, it would be nice to be able to beam to ESD just as easily.
    HOMO SAPIENS NON URINAT IN VENTUM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    Even though graphically it looks small ESD is huge, imagine the number of ships and the size of them that are docked. Therefore as kwait said you transport to the "important" area it is faster and more convenient. It also cuts down on the number of loading screens which is always a good thing.

I hope they made that ESD from materials on other planets not on Earth because that means they used almost all the iron in Earth's core to make that thing :D
    why don't we start in some kind of hanger?

because that will look cool first 5-10 times ,then it will only be a waste of time to get through all that everytime.
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2013
    As with all MMO's you have to balance immersion with OMFG JUST LET ME GO TO WHERE I WANT TO GO!!1!!!!

So yeah +1 to an arguement for being able to transport as soon as you get into sol as opposed to flying close to it.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hope they made that ESD from materials on other planets not on Earth because that means they used almost all the iron in Earth's core to make that thing

I am not a Trekky, but I think they stopped using steel a long time ago in ST terms. Isn't some sort of alloy that may not even exist to us yet? ;)
    because that will look cool first 5-10 times ,then it will only be a waste of time to get through all that everytime.

Exactly think of the loading screens and the multiple "server not responding" messages. It would drive you nuts.
  • Options
    deepspacejunkiedeepspacejunkie Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    what i mean is, not like some big dock with a pile of ships of who is docked even if you just started in like a loading bay. or outside the hanger kind of like the one on DS9 where you buy/change ships instead of the transporter room..

and if i remember right duranium and tritanium are used in star ship and star base construction not steel XD
    Arwin - Bane - Logan - Heniken - Seltek - Ariel - NoBeer4u
  • Options
    jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    I am not a Trekky, but I think they stopped using steel a long time ago in ST terms. Isn't some sort of alloy that may not even exist to us yet? ;)

Most ships in the Trek universe are made from duranium/tritanium. Tritanium is 21.4 times as hard as diamond. :P
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From an RP standpoint, it would be cool to enter into the base on a gantry similar to the one we saw in "Temporal Ambassador", but shorter and probably set up in such a way that you couldn't look back and see that it's not "your" ship docked there. But maybe be able to look out and see other ships on the ESD interior like you can in the shipyard. While transporters make a certain amount of sense, they do also consume a lot of power. That's why ships have turbolifts instead of site to site transports everywhere. When the Enterprise-D docked for computer upgrade in "11001001", we saw them moving to and fro using a gantry connected to the main docking port on the ship's neck. The TNG tech manual also notes turbo shaft uplinks on deck 3 (and presumably elsewhere) that would allow you to take the lift directly from the ship to anywhere on the base on your super fast, highly efficient 24th century elevator system that never gets crowded and you never have to wait long for.

From a purely game play perspective, yes when we come to ESD we aren't there to roleplay a starship layover. We're there to drop loot, switch ships, turn over contraband, etc, and do so as quickly as possible so we can move on. In that sense, the transporter pad works. It also allows one location to serve both as your spawn in point and a direct link to the Academy.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From an immersion point of view, I think it's insane that we even revisit the Academy. I can't think of many situations where the Captains returned to earth frequently, most of it could be done from the ship. If we were to revisit earth, I would have thought it would be Starfleet Command Headquarters, not Academy.

Also, alot of people went by shuttle to their ship in ESD. It'd be nice to get a short animation of your shuttle going to and from the ship when you arrived or left.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876