test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Testing Feedback - Romulan Character Levels 1 - 23 Observations

fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
The following are notes I accumulated during a character run-through from level 1 to 23. Overall this was a GREAT Beta Test. Everything seemed very stable and wonderful, so the following feedback notes are the only issues I had at all during the entire run.

POSITIVE:
  • The story-line was great. It caught my attention far better than either the KDF or FED story-lines ever did, and something about this story-line I could relate to, so it was very immersive for me.
  • Stability was excellent. The one and only game crash I had was fixed by the devs - the issue with the traits tab - and that was the only time I had any issues at all. There was no lag, no server issues and no problems with log on.

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:
  • Cut-scene text - I know I am not a speed reader, like everyone else here is, so I'd love the option for the text to either appear in my chat so I can read it or have it slow down on the screens. This was especially prominent in the tutorial. It seemed like there were really long sentences and I barely caught any of the story because I'd get 1/3 of the way through the sentence and end up missing the rest.
  • In the tailor screen, everything works great, but on initial character creation you cannot zoom all the way out on the Romulan creation screen. A solid wall is too close to the character and blocks the entire view if you zoom out too far. This is running on a screen resolution of 5040 x 1050 on a triple monitor setup. If you can move that wall further back or maybe even remove it, that would make great sense. Since this is a character create screen anyway, there is no need for walls, etc. behind the camera.
  • Transwarps should be race based, not ship based. I noticed when flying a federation ship, my transwarp took me to SOL instead of the Flotilla. This made it very inconvenient when needing to zip back for promotions. Romulan ships transwarp to the Flotilla just fine, but faction ships appear to be stuck on KDF or Fed bases for transwarps.
  • Members of my party noticed this one as well, so it wasn't just me, but it appears that sometimes the class symbol of a team member gets replaced by a pink square, as if the texture is not rendering properly to show what class our teammates are. This happened intermittently.
  • On large map missions, more spawn points might be added. I died during the mission in T'Liss and it was a long journey back to catch up with my teammates - and they killed off the Borg cube before I managed to even get near them. If I was solo, this would not have mattered, but when keeping up with a team, it was noticeable how large the map was in the instance of death.

Well, that's it. Cryptic I thank you for a very great initial test of this, and I look forward to testing more content for you. Take care :)
Post edited by fazemladaiya on

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Firstly WOW!!!

Storyline was first class. Great idea taking it right back to the discovery of Tewa. The story was carefully thought out and you could get immersed with it.

The graphics WHOAH!!! they now have a real depth to them. I especially love the new look Drozona station.

Only one issue with the graphics I found. The enable / disable for armor did not work. Normal clothing was only displayable.

I have had a few glitches with audio, I have no audio issues while playing on Holodeck. Sound cuts out periodically for me. Could this be looked into please.

I do have a few minor personal niggles. I would like to stress these are only my own issues and have no bearing on how I think things SHOULD be improved.

Firstly, On the initial load screen "Star Trek Online - Legacy of Romulus" I feel the "Legacy of Romulus" should be removed, as it now gives the impression STO is about Romulans and Romulans only, and is giving the impression Klingons and Starfleet are now going to take a back seat.

The new UI is great, However the Romulan one is too green and the Klingon one is too red. It is a case of MY EYES MY EYES. For me the only one that was appealing Voyager.

The ingame load screens. could this be changed to coinside with the ingame UI, by this I mean where the areas around the load screen image are currently blue, the blue is replaced by the dominant color of the ingame UI being used ie for Voyager the blue is replaced by orange.

Also in relation to the ingame load screens could the images be updated, the current ones have been used for a while now, so an update is due.

Overall though, you guys have done a down right fantastic job. The new look graphics have given a new feel and dimension to the game.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to test Legacy ... I enjoyed it immensely.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    • Cut-scene text - I know I am not a speed reader, like everyone else here is, so I'd love the option for the text to either appear in my chat so I can read it or have it slow down on the screens. This was especially prominent in the tutorial. It seemed like there were really long sentences and I barely caught any of the story because I'd get 1/3 of the way through the sentence and end up missing the rest.

As explained by a dev, the cut scene text are supposed to be synced to the voice overs that haven't been added yet. They were quickly put in there to give the player an idea of what's going on, but are not the end product.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • allanmcc12allanmcc12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    When first starting the Dasko Blues first sub-mission bridge officers show space abilities instead of ground when beaming down.
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the above the storyline is excellent. But there was one thing that caught my eye above all others. Your crew.

Your first few boffs actually feel like the are different then the rest. You meet them, work with them and get to know them some before they join you. I really do feel different with them, when one of them drops I freak out and tear apart whoever was responsible. Unlike the boffs you get for lvling or the ones you can just buy these ones feel like actual members of my crew, not just disposable cannon fodder.

Very good job Cryptic, for adding an excellent source of immersion.

I actually have no problems with not being able to alter these guys and I never will, sure they may get a new wardrobe from time to time but I will never change their looks....maybe hairstyle from time to time but that's it.
  • allanmcc12allanmcc12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Bridge Officers displaying space abilities on beam down to a planet on the romulan faction side
    edited April 2013
    allanmcc12 wrote: »
    Bridge Officers displaying space abilities on beam down to a planet on the romulan faction side

Yes you said that...twice....and you didn't even wait a few pages before bringing it up again.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    I agree with the above the storyline is excellent. But there was one thing that caught my eye above all others. Your crew.

Your first few boffs actually feel like the are different then the rest. You meet them, work with them and get to know them some before they join you. I really do feel different with them, when one of them drops I freak out and tear apart whoever was responsible. Unlike the boffs you get for lvling or the ones you can just buy these ones feel like actual members of my crew, not just disposable cannon fodder.

Very good job Cryptic, for adding an excellent source of immersion.

I actually have no problems with not being able to alter these guys and I never will, sure they may get a new wardrobe from time to time but I will never change their looks....maybe hairstyle from time to time but that's it.

I'm hoping something similar can be done for Starfleet and the KDF. I wouldn't mind seeing a starter arc that introduces you to your early bridge officers, set in Starfleet Academy, which then eventually culminates with the attack on the Vega Colony.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Since my observation or suggestion wasn't entirely noted in the forum-
    I'd like to punch it in here, if Fazemladaiya doesn't exactly mind at all:
    Daroska wrote:
    When speaking to Commander Temer on the Flotilla for the first time-

There should be a dialogue option to say, "I'd be willing to serve on a contractual basis."
    Something that doesn't feel like you're being entirely forced into the Romulan Republic.
    More like, "I'm willing to help, it's just I need time to integrate." So it feels more smooth.

First time I made conversation with Temer, I felt like I was being kept prisoner.
    Mostly because you can't leave the room and explore the Flotilla first.
    Not to mention it sort of feels like you can't have any varied opinion in the matter.

Even though a prior security guard would most likely want to know the going rate for a job-
    before of course, committing to it. My character in particular, for instance, had actually previously chosen to be skeptical and quite well distant with previous dialogue towards the Romulan Republic. So it seems only right that this behaviour would remain unchanged untill he joined the faction.

Interesting reviews by the way, keep up the good work everyone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I'm hoping something similar can be done for Starfleet and the KDF. I wouldn't mind seeing a starter arc that introduces you to your early bridge officers, set in Starfleet Academy, which then eventually culminates with the attack on the Vega Colony.

Mmm, yeah I agree, despite now having the faction I have wanted since launch and most likely never leveling a Fed or KDF ever again I do hope Cryptic changes things up a bit for you guys so that you get the same experience.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been using Raptr while playing STO and there has been alot of discussion on there too regarding the new UI and some that also use Raptr have had the opportunity to test Legacy.

The overall consensus is that Cryptic have done a mighty fine job. Thus far I have rarely seen anything negative about what is to come.

This is going to be one of the rare occasions where Cryptic are going to be overly praised.

I mentioned in a previous post I had a few audio issues but I think that is down to it not being the finished product

Cryptic, and to all those who worked on this expansion ... BRAVO APPLAUDS APPLAUDS BRAVO.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ravin wrote: »
    As explained by a dev, the cut scene text are supposed to be synced to the voice overs that haven't been added yet. They were quickly put in there to give the player an idea of what's going on, but are not the end product.

Awesome. THANK you for pointing that out.

Also - an addition to my review . . . I found that standard Romulan BOFFS can indeed be edited and customized. At the time of my review I had not slotted any BOFFS other than the initial ones you start with, and I guess they are fixed in place while standard/common BOFFS can be customized. So I retract that bullet point in my recommendations. :)
  • klytemnestra1klytemnestra1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I liked the first 1 to 20 level stories. I did not see many serious bugs. I have only seen typing errors and grammar problems. I saw three graphic issues that I reported as a bug.

On a whole, I think Cryptic is improving in their stories that span across a whole series of game content.

The only problem I really see is with a new player starting on the Romulans, and has not played the Federation or Klingons, may feel disappointed. The federation stories are not complete or connected properly. The Romulan's stories are very well done. Although, I feel the story drags some when you start doing the Tal Shiar stories in the Eta Eridani Block.

The sets are awesome.

The uniforms are okay.

The hair and shoes are not making it for me. Someone needs to explain to the guy that draws female hair that women do not have sideburns. All the Romulans hair have sideburns. And it has been established in the lore going back to the 1960's Romulan females had great hairstyles.

The boots all look like something you wear to walk through a manhole or sewage treatment plant to prevent chemicals from penetrating your shoes. They need a women that understands the importance of good shoes and hair to QA the shoe and hair designs.

Well, that is all I have to say about that...

Thank you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daemonhelddaemonheld Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I liked the first 1 to 20 level stories. I did not see many serious bugs. I have only seen typing errors and grammar problems. I saw three graphic issues that I reported as a bug.

On a whole, I think Cryptic is improving in their stories that span across a whole series of game content.

The only problem I really see is with a new player starting on the Romulans, and has not played the Federation or Klingons, may feel disappointed. The federation stories are not complete or connected properly. The Romulan's stories are very well done. Although, I feel the story drags some when you start doing the Tal Shiar stories in the Eta Eridani Block.

The sets are awesome.

The uniforms are okay.

The hair and shoes are not making it for me. Someone needs to explain to the guy that draws female hair that women do not have sideburns. All the Romulans hair have sideburns. And it has been established in the lore going back to the 1960's Romulan females had great hairstyles.

The boots all look like something you wear to walk through a manhole or sewage treatment plant to prevent chemicals from penetrating your shoes. They need a women that understands the importance of good shoes and hair to QA the shoe and hair designs.

Well, that is all I have to say about that...

Thank you.

Did you watch TNG/DS9??

One

Two

Three

Four (Troi as a Romulan)

There are many, many others...

They aren't "side burns" .. is their hair-style