test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subscribing worth it?

remairtamecremairtamec Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Academy
Hi, I used to play at launch and getting back into the game now as its F2P and really enjoying it. Been playing through with someone else which works really well with this game, and so far have been really pleased with the changes made in the game so far in the years since I left.

I'm considering subscribing but really am dubious of the benefits having looked at the feature matrix. As far as I can tell there seem to be three main benefits, at least for a newer player who is not going to hit money limits anytime soon.
1- Respec tokens, extra Boff and ship slots, pretty much adding up to a bit more flexibility.
2- The foundry access.
3- Monthly stipend of zen.
The first seems fairly nice but not huge for me. I already have several character slots as it let me keep all those originally given to every subscriber. The foundry I love the idea of but not sure if it will live up to its hype. I would love to create complex missions involving player choice, I've had experience doing that in the past DMing for RP groups and it seems like a great way to use game mechanics to tell stories, but kinda concerned that any missions made will ever be used. There must be loads of missions produced each week of varying quality, so even if you make a great one there's a chance nobody will play it to upvote it.

As for the zen its nice, and at a nice % of the sub fee (quite happy imagining 1/3rd is going to server maitenance, 1/3rd to universal content then 1/3rd to content that you choose what you want, i.e. microtransactions). But then looking at it I can't help but think on its own it just isn't worth it, taking 5-10 months worth for the upper end ships it seems more likely that I'll just buy them one off when the time comes. Although I suppose its more designed to pick up the smaller C-store items like Doff boosters, clothing and lockbox keys.

Also looking at the lifetime subscription, there seems to have been a couple of sales last year, or one very long one, at 33% off which would be enough to make me interested in picking it up.

So pretty much I'm asking existing subscribers: is it worth it? Would it only be worth while once I hit max level or is it good for leveling up too? Am I better off just buying zen straight for some extra toys? What are the chances of another lifetime sale happening in 2013? If they're good is the lifetime a worthwhile package?

Sorry if this has been asked to death, I did search but got a whole lot of unrelated threads. Thanks for any advice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click for more details
Post edited by remairtamec on

Comments

• lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think your decision should be based on the following: If you are going to playing Star Trek Online a lot (more than just casual) and creating lot of characters, if would probably benefit you to subscribe. The benefists you receive in the free services you mentioned in your post will most than over your subscription.

It is worth is owrth it to me to subscribe. I have 14 characters. all but one is at level 50. And I definitely have made used of the skill respec additional bank and invetory slots. The Veteran rewards are nice perks as well.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not a subscriber but that is a financial choice for me. I'm also only able to play about once a week for a few hours. Having said that, I think lordfuzun nailed it concerning time to play: if you will play a lot then you'll get your money's worth to subscribe.

If anything you'll be financially supporting the game in a small way through your contribution, if you want to look at it that way :)
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Even if you don't want to make a commitment to continuous subscription, a 1-month is worth it. You'll unlock a lot of extra inventory and bank space, which cost a lot of Zen to get the same amount in the C-Store, and then you get 500 Zen back out of your $15 purchase.
  • remairtamecremairtamec Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably do as MandoKnight suggested and subscribe for a month and then see if I want to stick with the subscription or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click for more details
  • lethal61lethal61 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I would do the month to month untill they come out with another sale on lifetime memberships thats what i did and dont regret it i have alot of perks and the extra ships was awsome not to mention the monthly 500zen you get ;).
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    PWE subtracts 35 days from my subscribed days count when they charge me for the monthly subscription fees, so my account gets younger instead of older, with no hope of obtaining any more veteran rewards. Proceed with caution.
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    2- The foundry access.

You can buy foundry access for something like 7k Dilithium, so I wouldn't bother subscribing for that, unless you intended to have a lot of projects going at the same time.
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So pretty much I'm asking existing subscribers: is it worth it

No.

You get all access via F2P.

Basically by subbing you are pouring money into a game that only respects "internal metrics" and not the wishes of the playerbase. You can grind everything you need and micro-transaction the rest.

So... sub-fees are a waste of money really.
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I play almost daily, and run 5 characters (with 2 unused slots to go), so to me it was worth the life sub. 500 zen per month stipend, free ship, liberated borg characters, 2 extra character slots, and other perks are worth it. Just catch it when it's on sale, as it's usually 1/3 less than normal cost.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is worth it to subscribe for a month, but that is it. Not sure what level 50 characters get when they subscribe for a month. If you want to get veteran rewards, then go for the lifetime subscription when it goes on sale.
  • uvirith1uvirith1 Member Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Qucik question. The benefits, do they vanish when subscription ends? what about the characters?
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    uvirith1 wrote: »
    Qucik question. The benefits, do they vanish when subscription ends? what about the characters?

If you sub, you get an extra character - which you must have made a character with or you will lose that slot iirc - all the other benefits like the expanded inventory, bridge officer slots, account bank ect which will stay with you when you drop back to silver (the only thing that goes will be the EC cap which you can buy with the 500zen for that months sub.

Most people sub for 1 month, level up thier characters so they get the respec tokens - very valuable - as well as the full inventory/bank slots and then drop back to silver with no real change.

Its important that you level up to 50 - which is very easy to do - to get the maximum benefits as you get bank slots per rank up ect
  • vezznavezzna Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Am I reading that right that you'd need to level up to 50 all three characters in order to keep the benefits of subscribing for one month?...or is it enough to just create two additional characters while you're subbed?

I wonder because I can barely see me being able to level one character to 50 in a month, let alone 3!
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vezzna wrote: »
    Am I reading that right that you'd need to level up to 50 all three characters in order to keep the benefits of subscribing for one month?...or is it enough to just create two additional characters while you're subbed?

I wonder because I can barely see me being able to level one character to 50 in a month, let alone 3!

No, you just need to make 3 characters which could be all level 1 - that stops you from losing the sub free character when you go back to silver - its just that to maximise all the sub benefits its worth levelling them to 50 in the sub period - you get extra inventory / respec tokens and bank slots per rank up so to get the maximum slots ect its best to get to 50 in the sub period.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vezzna wrote: »

If you want those 'free' respec tokens, then yes. Otherwise, you can have 2 characters at level cap, then subscribe, and get all the slots 'retroactive', as they get everything except the respec tokens, and concentrate on leveling up the new third character...

(And if you can't do that in a single month, you could always subscribe for another month...)
  • kyias1kyias1 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is worth it if you are a new player, new toon, no levels. If you subscribe as you are leveling then you get lots of unlocks, ship tokens and respec tokens as you level which are invaluable.

Once you hit max level and you are not a LTS sub, it is better to go F2P. The reason is you can cherry pick the items you want from the zen store for a perma unlock. basically you are paying $10 per/mo to do different things you can unlock with a single purchase anyway.

That is my 2 cents.
  • saladincosaladinco Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm wondering if the zen stipend is working or not. I haven't seen any in awhile. I'm watching, but has anyone run into a problem with it not showing up? I'm in week 3 waiting now. So by week 5 it better show up or there's a serious problem.
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    saladinco wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the zen stipend is working or not. I haven't seen any in awhile. I'm watching, but has anyone run into a problem with it not showing up? I'm in week 3 waiting now. So by week 5 it better show up or there's a serious problem.

Mine usually hits around the 5th of every month.
  • jstryverjstryver Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am myself returning to the game after a long absence from it. This thread was just the info I was looking for. I think I will re-up for a month and then just get ZEN for everything else. For a while I may even spend more per month but as long as the game play is fun I am cool with that.

Plus I'm starting back over to relearn how to play.
  • raithgrimraithgrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am new to the game but played at launch.
    If I change to a gold account will I get the rank rewards retroactively?

For instance I am only a LT CMDR but will I get the extra bridge officer from that rank even though I have passed it?
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No, the only way to really get the rewards from being a subber is to either wait the time or buy the LTS, other wise you don't get anything. As for getting a reward from a lower rank by switching to gold, i don't really think that's how that works. If it's rank based than you get it with rank, if it's time based you get it with time, if it's a time based reward that applies to a specific rank than you should still have to be gold for that amount of time to collect, even if that rank has been passed already.

Needless to say Cryptic just wants your money, so if you don't pay to play no shiny for you.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    raithgrim wrote: »
    I am new to the game but played at launch.
    If I change to a gold account will I get the rank rewards retroactively?

For instance I am only a LT CMDR but will I get the extra bridge officer from that rank even though I have passed it?
    You will gain the extra boff, inventory/bank, and account bank slots retroactively. You will NOT, however, retroactively get the respec tokens for any promotions claimed. Never claim promotions unless you are a Gold member. Period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leighandrew12leighandrew12 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Iv'e been playing STO since just after launch and had paid A LOT for the game-lifetime sub, c-store etc. There was a scandel going around, just after launch of free-to-play that many veteran player accounts had been TRIBBLE and whole accounts were deleted, I was one of them. Unfortunatly I had lot all the items I had bought, all the special items that I had got from special events that were no replayable and all my lifetime perks. I basically had to start a new account and character and start again. Is subcribing worth it? Not anymore to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exposing fakes since 2374
  • xxmaelstrom11xxmaelstrom11 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2013
    I've been looking into playing this game. How is it now that it's gone f2p and after a few expansions?
  • eyepaheyepah Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As someone that intends to start playing a romulan as a first character. Is there any point for me to start playing now? Could I bulk up on resources that I can transfer to my romulan character? Or will I still be stuck with only one characters slot, and might as well wait?
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Even if you dont want any toons but Romulans it is still worth making a character now. You can use it to start earning dilithium which you can sell for Zen to be able to start getting rewards for your new toon.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You will gain the extra boff, inventory/bank, and account bank slots retroactively. You will NOT, however, retroactively get the respec tokens for any promotions claimed. Never claim promotions unless you are a Gold member. Period.

Do you maintain the extra slots when you unsub?
  • lovelyladyn1lovelyladyn1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unfortunately, I haven't been getting it but I can, for the life of me figure out who to contact so I can resolve the situation. I subscribed on 2/15 for 6 months and have yet to get April's.

Any ideas?
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jstryver wrote: »
    I am myself returning to the game after a long absence from it. This thread was just the info I was looking for. I think I will re-up for a month and then just get ZEN for everything else. For a while I may even spend more per month but as long as the game play is fun I am cool with that.

Plus I'm starting back over to relearn how to play.

This.
    I've been playing for a few months and this is also my strategy. About a month after Rom is released I'll:

1. Resub
    2. Delete/ create a few new alts.
    3. Slowly level (refuse promotions) account will become Silver again
    4. When the new alts reach 50 I resub and take my promotions.

Everything else I want in the game I'll buy ZEN. If they offer a lifetime discount before Rom is released I'll consider it

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"