test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Error 36

tyr4444tyr4444 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Tribble - Bug Reports
Since the last Tribble patch, I can't access the shard. The patching begins and then when it gets to the 'mirroring' section I get the error message: "Error 36: a file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in (countdown). This repeats after the restart. I'm not having any problem with Holodeck or Red Shirt. I'm running Windows XP media center edition with service pack 3.
Lt. jg. Magnus Bjornson
Engineering/Alpha Squad
12th Fleet
Post edited by tyr4444 on

Comments

• zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tyr4444 wrote: »
    Since the last Tribble patch, I can't access the shard. The patching begins and then when it gets to the 'mirroring' section I get the error message: "Error 36: a file was locked that could not be open for writing. Restart in (countdown). This repeats after the restart. I'm not having any problem with Holodeck or Red Shirt. I'm running Windows XP media center edition with service pack 3.

If you haven't restarted your computer recently, please do. This can sometimes be caused by your computer's failure to close out the game properly. If you look at processes in Task Manager you may see a zombie gameclient.exe or cryptic-joystick, something like that.
  • tyr4444tyr4444 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That fixed it! Thank you.:)
    Lt. jg. Magnus Bjornson
    Engineering/Alpha Squad
    12th Fleet
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This happened to me too, but the above solution worked. Thanks.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you haven't restarted your computer recently, please do. This can sometimes be caused by your computer's failure to close out the game properly. If you look at processes in Task Manager you may see a zombie gameclient.exe or cryptic-joystick, something like that.

FYI - the issue of "our computer not closing the game properly" has NOTHING to do with the PC per se (IE it's NOT a user's PC issue). Why do I say this? It only happens (and happens 100% of the time when accessing the Tribble client - and was a problem I reported starting 3 Tribble patch builds ago. I also suspect it only happens to players still using the Windows XP (or Wineskin or a Linux Windows emulator). It is a problem with the way the client is written (much like the earlier mouse issue WinXP users were experiencing; and is something the programming team at Cryptic needs to address on their end until they announce WinXP is no longer a supported OS for STO.

Also, I do realize that Windows XP is considered obsolete by Microsoft and all official support for it will end on January 1, 2014. That said, unless Cryptic is announcing WinXP is no longer supported, I hope it something they will be addressing prior to the LoR expansion's official launch.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."