test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Doff Race ideas ver 2

13»

Comments

• aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Bomb (from VOY: Warhead- possibly the same race as The Artificial Intelligence)

Automated Personnel Units (perhaps the war is over by now)

Followers of Khan

Mintakans/Marta/Kesprytt (obscure TNG races, perhaps some more of them left their homeworlds to wander the galaxy)

Mirror Terrans, Vulcans and Bajorans (with a weird mix of characteristic Human, Vulcan and Bajoran traits - FotF, Teamwork, Logical, and Spiritual, and some not-so-characteristic traits such as Unruly, Unscrupulous and Aggressive)

Yridians/Dopterians/Vorgons (information brokers and mercenaries)

Famous Terran holograms (da Vinci, Newton, Einstein, Hawking)

Professor Moriarty / Vic Fontaine

Whales and other cetaceans (Logical, Stubborn, Emotional, Congenial)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hehe... Star Trek has had so many races of shape changers over the years that they had to start inventing new words for them. :D

see: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Shapeshifter
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2013

#18-22: More random humanoids:
    Tiburonian traits: Efficient, logical

A bit of a nitpick - the Tiburonians are mostly noteworthy for being easy-going hedonists, who derive great pleasure from satisfying their own curiosity and subverting any form of oppression (due to the fact that they were oppressed in their distant past.)

Their traits should be more along the lines of Congenial (always), Cunning (often), Emotional (always), Seductive (sometimes), Unscrupulous (often), Unruly (sometimes)
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited February 2013
    Hmm.... good point. :D thanks!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    #28: Dolphins or a dolphin-like race
    traits: congenial, teamwork

Heh, someones a fan of Uplift. :D

Anyone mention Medusans yet?
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    #4: someone suggested the idea of Horta as Doffs. Many of you remember them as the lovable rock creatures encountered by Captain Kirk. And they're already in the game, but ONLY as combat pets. Horta are a sentient species. Using them only as combat pets is kinda strange for the Federation. It'd be relatively easy to do art for Horta Doffs, just adapt the inventory icons for the various Horta variants that exist already. Horta could also be done relatively easily as a cross faction race.
    Traits: Resilient(sometimes), Eidetic Memory(sometimes), Aggressive(usually), Peaceful(usually), Honorable(sometimes), Stubborn(sometimes), Emotional(sometimes), radiation resistant(always, see 10/11/12/13)
    faction: Federation, maybe others too

I dunno, I see Horta more as Resilient (always, they're made of silicon), Eidetic Memory (high chance), Efficient (sometimes), Aggressive (sometimes, in the TOS episode she only attacked the miners after she was provoked by them unwittingly destroying her eggs), Peaceful (sometimes, mutually exclusive with Aggressive), Logical (sometimes).

Any faction.

Though, honestly, I'd rather see Horta Boffs than Doffs.
    Anyone mention Medusans yet?

Medusans would be awesome.
    What do you see as the primary purpose(s) behind introducing new Duty officer species?

I'm not asking to discourage the brainstorming here - it may, in fact, come in quite handy. But I'd like to get a more solid understanding as to why more species variation is being requested.

* Are there shortcomings in the current system that new species can address?
    * Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?
    * Is it just a roleplay / immersion thing?

On the subject of new traits:
    We found, from the introduction of Resolve doffs, that introducing new Traits is not a design choice that has long-term sustainability. While it still may be something we introduce in the future, we have to be sure that the amount of dev time that goes into ensuring the new Trait's viability is worth the investment. Hundreds and hundreds of work hours went into introducing Resolve and giving it a purpose, while also addressing economic and systemic balance concerns that it introduced. It's not something that we've completely ruled out, but it is unlikely that we will do something that like with any form of frequency.

For me, mostly just a RP thing. The Federation has a plethora of different races that make it up, yet we only see a scant few actually used.

New traits wouldn't really be needed, Resolve was ok but it was only good for doff missions that were added after it was introduced, like you said it'd be a whole lot of work going over each existing doff mission to decide whether a new trait would factor into it.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, Horta Boffs would be nice, but I'm willing to settle for Doffs. :)

I thought of the idea of new traits a lot, and well... An implementation similar to resolve would be overkill. But something similar to Telekinetic or Shroud would be ok.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    complete list of races in Star Trek Universe :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_races

if almost all above races would have a doff version and at least half of those would be as playable race and the STO would have at least 10 factions ( race homeworlds) ,this game would be the greatest ,biggest MMO on the internet and devs would become really rich and everyone happy :cool: (even if the game would have 30gb and someppl might get bored after downloading of 20gb to play the game or might require powerful servers to handle such a huge game, and so on..)

Im not saying that STO has a management lack for great expansions, i know, to create a new playable race its not so easy, need character modelling,sculpting,morphing,,rigging, creating mocap animations,..etc (im a 3D CG hobbyist,also created and posted realistic terrains on ShareCG as Cris333), but creating a doff race is much much easy, the only hard part is the designing/concept art for the doff photo :D

M113 creature is in the game in Mine Trap...how about a "converted"/allied/whatever M113 doff with telekinesis,telepathic and resolve ? for ground active roster :) with a power similar to Trait: Seduce from the Orion females boffs (btw i've seen this applied on borgs while doing a ground episode and is working well) when "Confuse the target and trick them to attack their allies" for a short period of time ?? (or similar to what we get in Mine trap hehe)

And 1 more thing: before to launch a new doff make sure its not BUGGED .Creating 100 doff races and half of those with bugged/untested powers its a waste of time spent to create them.

From DS-9 zone Chat most players seems to love to belong to a faction from the Enterprise series races ,such as Xindi, Suliban,Denobulan,Vissian..etc.I would love to see a Xindi-Reptilian homeworld +the Xindi-Reptilian warship+Xindi_superweapon episode (just like the klingons) or the Xindi Biorifle - " Doctor Phlox considered it the most sophisticated example of biomechanical engineering he had ever seen." in STO :D...yes more Enterprise series content pls..
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon
  • virgilpluton999virgilpluton999 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Actually, I don't want more races so much as I would like a Caitan cultural exchange similar to the Vulcan/Tellarite/Andorian ones at SF Academy, and the equivalent Ferasan conscription for KDF Academy.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't really want more races. I would like, however, more ways to get the doff races we already have!
    edited March 2013
    Well, it looks like Romulans and Remans will be available in much greater numbers come may. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, it looks like Romulans and Remans will be available in much greater numbers come may. :)

Yes, but what about Horta...???
    edited April 2013
    felderburg wrote: »
    I know what you mean, we REALLY need Horta Doffs. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • ourmasterourmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would rather see making some of current doff races useful. Like Trills, Bolians, Betazoids, Rigalians and Saurians.
  • yoseep1000yoseep1000 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For some reason Cryptic wont allow me to make new topics even though im playing this game since day one beta (but havent been on the forums for some time).

Back to the topic in mind. I am looking for multiple fed purple system engineers with 2 traits and fed photonic studies scientists with 2 traits for the holonovel missions. So if u have some of those lying around and not using them but willing to sell send me a mail ingame, i cant find any on the exchange. Thanks.

Lana@josip1000 >>>>> send PMs to this
    edited May 2013
    ourmaster wrote: »
    I would rather see making some of current doff races useful. Like Trills, Bolians, Betazoids, Rigalians and Saurians.
    I have to agree that it would be nice to have those races have more traits. I have found plenty of uses for purples with 1 trait, but it'd be better to have at least 2 preferably 3 traits.

Betazoids, Bolians, and Trills actually DO have a reasonable variety of traits available to their race it's just that individual members only have a small number. It's kinda odd really, I made a list a while back of mine and realized just how many traits the members of their races actually have. It's just that, there is one trait they always or almost always have and the rest.... they might have occasionally.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Horta doffs are already in STOL, folks.

They only have the job of "Miner" and must be purchased from an NPC in fleet dilithium mines. I'm not sure what the fleet mine level requirements are, but my Federation fleet has a Level II mine with, I believe, all Level III feature upgrades. The NPC can be found to the right of the lobby chamber as you face the force field leading to the mining area.

Each of my FED toons has a horta doff. :)

EDIT: By the way, these DOFFs are perfect for (and intended for) the DOFF assignments that you can accept on a 20-hour rotation from a fleet mine representative who stands a couple of meters away from the DOFF vendor.
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, this thread is kinda old. Perhaps I should make a new updated one...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • donperkdonperk Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    :) I actually got to this thread through your sig, markhawkman.
    edited October 2013
    Figured as much. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    felderburg wrote: »

I've got some now :) He/she(?) is a miner doff bought from the Fleet Dilithium mine

EDIT - Just noted the age of the thread so my post is kinda superfluous at this point
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......