test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Brel Bird of Prey question

amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Klingon Discussion
I am wondering whether or not to purchase the "Brel Bird of Prey", seeing as I rarely get zen to spend, this is a very important question for myself, (and perhaps for the KDF side, as if it is as cool a ship as I hope, I may play more as a klingon depending upon if it's a great ship or not).

So my questions for this ship are:

1- Can you attack enemies while cloaked? (I'm guessing you can fire torpedoes?)

2- Is it worth buying in your opinion? (if so or if not, why?)

3- What do you like about the ship?

4- what do you not like bout it?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

-Aaron
Post edited by amahood on

Comments

• mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    amahood wrote: »
    I am wondering whether or not to purchase the "Brel Bird of Prey", seeing as I rarely get zen to spend, this is a very important question for myself, (and perhaps for the KDF side, as if it is as cool a ship as I hope, I may play more as a klingon depending upon if it's a great ship or not).

-Aaron

1 - you can fire mines fully cloaked however firing torpedos will unlcloak you for 3 seconds then you go back to cloak

2 - yes deadly in pvp if you practice with it this isn't just turn the key and fly target choice is key

3 - deadly in pvp very versatile

4 - extremely hard to use in pve the Borg sneeze you die in pvp it seems every little Freddie punk is using cpb nowadays
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

-Aaron

1. Yes. Torpedoes, mines, along with most captain and BOFF powers can be used under cloak. Most things however will de-cloak you briefly when you use them. You re-cloak after a couple seconds, but just keep it in mind.

2. Yes. While it dies VERY easily, in the hands of a good pilot, especially with teamwork, the B'rel is one of the most deadly ships in the game.

3. Everything pretty much.

4. I don't like that the Fleet B'rel only gains an engineering console.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • alopenalopen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. As others have said, drop mines while under cloak and fire torps with 3 secs of dropping cloak. Also, you can use alot of sci and eng boff abilities while under cloak with the 3 sec rule as well. This is great for heals but bad for TBR where you are revealed while using the skill. Most skills you recloak under.

2. Best return on my money in STO to date. Unlike lockboxes, you know what you are getting, can use it for all your characters, and there really is no other ship like it.

3. My favorite ship, because you can do lots of different things with it. Torp boat, traditional BOP setup that heals under cloak. Sci/healer platform, etc.

4. It will autofire your torps while under cloak. In a torp boat setup not an issue b/c you manually fire all your torps. In a traditional setup, I have prematurely revealed myself on accident b/c of this. You have to deselect your tgt after cloaking, to prevent that from happening. And yeah Fleet B'rel extra eng console slot is TRIBBLE. :mad:
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The annoyance you'll find out (eventually) is the decloaking of your bird when tactical officer decides to tell you something (at least in Kerat warzone). This is a bug but according to the spokesmen of PWE it is working as intended.
    Extra eng console is indeed a very TRIBBLE move, and have no idea what is the logic behind it.
    A torpedo boat setup may not be recommended for PvE.
    I'd say to keep at least one copy of energy masking. It is a backup cloak in case if feddies decided to fire charged particle brust on you. And do keep a copy of sci team as feddies scis love to subnuke the boat.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you kindly for your replies.

Every single one has helped me to put this route into better perspective.

I did not know, obviously, that it will automatically fire torpedoes while cloaked if targeting...

That is not a good feature to have......

Yet it's still got my curiosity due to the fact of the positives you have all mentioned.

One of the "best ships" to buy for a klingon. Very curious indeed....

While it is highly unlikely I will ever have zen again LOL, (unless of course I cram real hard with the exchange of dil to zen yikes! --that's how I've got this zen, but man is it tireing).

So anyhow, you all have helped me to remain on the decision.....so far......... to buy the ship, once I reach 2000 zen.

Thank you all and "Qapla"

-Aaron
    edited March 2013
    oh and also, I couldn't agree more, bout the lock boxes. I recently bought bout 5 keys in hopes to get the jem'hadar ship for my jem'hadar character.........

duty officers....more duty officers.....and yet MORE duty officers......

so um yeah, I gave up on that waste of zen keys, and decided to save up for something you Know you will get by choosing something from the zen store.

Qapla!
  • mustafatennickmustafatennick Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thank you kindly for your replies.

Every single one has helped me to put this route into better perspective.

I did not know, obviously, that it will automatically fire torpedoes while cloaked if targeting...

Yet it's still got my curiosity due to the fact of the positives you have all mentioned.

One of the "best ships" to buy for a klingon. Very curious indeed....

While it is highly unlikely I will ever have zen again LOL, (unless of course I cram real hard with the exchange of dil to zen yikes! --that's how I've got this zen, but man is it tireing).

So anyhow, you all have helped me to remain on the decision.....so far......... to buy the ship, once I reach 2000 zen.

Thank you all and "Qapla"

-Aaron

I don't know wether the other kdf has a bug but my Brel does not have the auto fire torpedos

Unless of course I put them on auto fire which is crazy as really you want to get a firing order worked out
    ----=====This is my opinion you don't have to listen and no one else has to read them these "OPINIONS" are based on my exploits and my learning other people will have their opinions and that's fine just don't knock my way of doing things thanks=====---- :cool:
  • igloodudeigloodude Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Just to be clear, it autofires torpedoes only if you actually have them set to autofire. I can say for certain that my B'rel does NOT autofire torps (or anything else) by default.

And +1 on it being worth it. The B'rel is far and away my favorite ship, on either faction (though it is also the only ship I've ever purchased, either C-Store or Exchange). The battle cloak and resulting natural emphasis on torpedoes makes it play like a submarine in a naval game.
    "B'rel is klingon for 'TRIBBLE'." -cmdrskyfaller
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love my little B'Rel its one tough little hombre

What i like about it is its quick and agile you can out turn almost anything you come against
    I got mine set full cannons so shredding shields is not a problem
    Though as mentioned by someone if a borg sneezes on you your dead
    I have learned to fight them with hit and run tactics i go in shred a cubes shields cloak and back off then go in again once my cloaks cooldown ends

It takes a while but the cube will die

Now PvP heh heh heh the B'Rel is a beast it can carve up a players ship fast and in the right hands can be hard to beat.

In my opinion the B'Rel is the best ship ive bought so far its my favorite

That and the excelsior retrofit on my fed toon

But B'Rel is my numero uno favorite :)
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just got mine recently, so I'll try to share a few things about this ship I've found out so far.

1. Yes you can. Compliments to the B'rel enhanced battle-cloak. If you snatch up some Romulan Boffs from the embassy this goes even a step further. Deploys mines cloaked as well as torpedoes.

2. It ultimately depends on your playstyle wheather it's worth it. I think it is, because there is no other ship in the game quite like it. It's very flexible, can be adapted to fulfill miscellaneous roles and it's extremely fun in PvP.

3. The Flexibility - all universal boff slots make it highly adaptible for any role you have planned and let's you experiment around a bit. The ability to preform most Boff abilities while cloaked as well as use torpedoes/mines is overwhealmingly fun in PvP. It can be used as the ultimate torpedo boat as well as a heal boat. I haven't tried the latter yet, but if you scroll around the KDF forums you'll find testemonials of B'rel owners that used it as sci-healboat and managed to heal friendly carriers and cruisers without being detected. You always have an edge over your enemy, the enhanced battle-cloak if used properly makes it an extremely difficult target. It is also the fastest and most manuverable ship in the game if you like that kind of flying and it can always keep it's front at the enemy.
    It also entitles you to get a discount when purchasing a fleet B'rel, that in terms of durability is more potent as far as any bird of prey goes. Only the additional engineering console makes no sense, but meh, you can use it for an universal one like the Rule 62 console from the lobi store.

4. That you very much have to adapt your playstyle to it. You also need to do a full respec on your char, since you're probably not specced for a full torpedo boat that does not need much shielding anyway. It's hull and shields are also paper-thin and you really can't afford being hit much before it goes boom. You do need to be on your toes all of the time to make the ship work, but when you manage to synchronize yourself with the B'rel it can be ridiculosely fun to fly.

I hope this helped you in any way. Qapla'!
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Some Pro's & Con's of the the B'Rel BOP.

PRO'S
    + Enhanced Battle Cloak: Same benefit and dangers of Battle Cloaks of other BOPs, but the Enhanced Battle Cloak allows the firing off of BOFF abilities and Torpedoes which temporarily drop the cloak. Once done, the B'Rel recloaks after about 3 seconds. Dropping mines does not break cloak.
    + Flexible Universal BOFF Slots: Like all other BOPs, the B'Rel's BOFF slots are totally universal. Alot of combinations possible to fit a certain playstyle.
    + Best Torpedo Boat in the game: Due to the nature of its unique Enhanced Battle Cloak, a wise B'Rel user in PVP can freely move around the map, looking for targets of opportunity. When I use my B'Rel Torpedo Boat, I fly cloaked more than 90% of the entire match, yet still get my chances to attack. Science and Tac Captains are ideal for the Torpedo Boat.
    + Nasty Mine Layer: You stay cloaked while dropping mines. 'Nuff said...
    + Highest turn rates in the game. It takes some getting used to.
    + Balanced Console Layout: 3 all around.
    + Until the Romulan BOPs come out, there is absolutely nothing else like a BOP. And among the BOPs, the B'Rel stands unique due to its special cloak.

CON'S
    - Like all BOPs, most fragile hull and shield points. BOPs are not meant to stay in the mix of a furball. BOP users must exercise alot of discipline in this and fight off that temptation to hang on a target's tail for a few seconds more. It is in that moment when you've set yourself up to someone else coming in to help the guy you're trying to finish off.
    - Discipine in cloak usage: Using the cloaks while getting shot at is one of the most dangerous things you can do in the game. The moment you hit the cloak button, your shields drop and it takes several seconds for the cloak to go into effect. Before you do this, you need to put alot of distance between you and the threat. And if there's still that bad feeling, pop something like Polarize Hull to provide hull resists and pray that you make it.
    - Less overall BOFF slots: The complete Universal BOFF stations come at a price that you will have fewer total BOFF skills equipped than normal ships.
    - Being "detected" while cloaked - No shields, completely vulnerable. Also, certain abilities like AOE stuff will drop you out of cloak if you are near them when they go off. Getting caught while cloaked will leave many surprised for a bit, and that's a terrible moment of vulnerability while they take emergency actions to escape.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited March 2013
    igloodude wrote: »
    Just to be clear, it autofires torpedoes only if you actually have them set to autofire. I can say for certain that my B'rel does NOT autofire torps (or anything else) by default.

And +1 on it being worth it. The B'rel is far and away my favorite ship, on either faction (though it is also the only ship I've ever purchased, either C-Store or Exchange). The battle cloak and resulting natural emphasis on torpedoes makes it play like a submarine in a naval game.

(I'm going to reply to the other posts here in a moment too.)

Thank you to Everyone so far, and I must say, I was on "the fence" about the Brel, yet now, I have been convinced (I have yet to see my other post question I asked in another area, about what to spend zen on LOL, yet after being re-assured by the posts here, I truly feel that it is Worth the cost to buy the Brel, thanks to all of you).

Anyways, first off, igloodude, I appreciate you letting me know that it does not autofire , thank Kahless for that!

I was seriously thinking of Not buying it due to the idea of it being auto. So I'm happy to know it does Not.

I'm guessing that once I buy the ship (gonna take some time still , I have only 1300 zen so far), - (lots more tiring work to do), anyhow I'm guessing that when it is said that you can set it to auto or not, that it will be easy to figure out how to do so?

anyone?

Thank you igloodude, for your reply!

-Aaron
    edited March 2013
    messahla wrote: »
    I love my little B'Rel its one tough little hombre

What i like about it is its quick and agile you can out turn almost anything you come against
    I got mine set full cannons so shredding shields is not a problem
    Though as mentioned by someone if a borg sneezes on you your dead
    I have learned to fight them with hit and run tactics i go in shred a cubes shields cloak and back off then go in again once my cloaks cooldown ends

It takes a while but the cube will die

Now PvP heh heh heh the B'Rel is a beast it can carve up a players ship fast and in the right hands can be hard to beat.

In my opinion the B'Rel is the best ship ive bought so far its my favorite

That and the excelsior retrofit on my fed toon

But B'Rel is my numero uno favorite :)

Thank you also, messahla, for your reply, once again, this too has helped me decide to save up for the Brel. Mainly what I look forward to, (and I know my fellow federation folk will hate me for this, but I'm not in a Fleet so...) , what I look forward to is going to Ker-rat and kicking some serious fed behind with the Brel !

(Allow me to give a little laughter) ..BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! ....<looks around, darting eyes left to right> ...ahem....

I .... don't know what's happening to me, I think I can feel the Klingon blood flowing...due to this good news bout the Brel.

So onward to reply to the next posts, thank you, messahla.

-Aaron
    edited March 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    I just got mine recently, so I'll try to share a few things about this ship I've found out so far.

1. Yes you can. Compliments to the B'rel enhanced battle-cloak. If you snatch up some Romulan Boffs from the embassy this goes even a step further. Deploys mines cloaked as well as torpedoes.

2. It ultimately depends on your playstyle wheather it's worth it. I think it is, because there is no other ship in the game quite like it. It's very flexible, can be adapted to fulfill miscellaneous roles and it's extremely fun in PvP.

3. The Flexibility - all universal boff slots make it highly adaptible for any role you have planned and let's you experiment around a bit. The ability to preform most Boff abilities while cloaked as well as use torpedoes/mines is overwhealmingly fun in PvP. It can be used as the ultimate torpedo boat as well as a heal boat. I haven't tried the latter yet, but if you scroll around the KDF forums you'll find testemonials of B'rel owners that used it as sci-healboat and managed to heal friendly carriers and cruisers without being detected. You always have an edge over your enemy, the enhanced battle-cloak if used properly makes it an extremely difficult target. It is also the fastest and most manuverable ship in the game if you like that kind of flying and it can always keep it's front at the enemy.
    It also entitles you to get a discount when purchasing a fleet B'rel, that in terms of durability is more potent as far as any bird of prey goes. Only the additional engineering console makes no sense, but meh, you can use it for an universal one like the Rule 62 console from the lobi store.

4. That you very much have to adapt your playstyle to it. You also need to do a full respec on your char, since you're probably not specced for a full torpedo boat that does not need much shielding anyway. It's hull and shields are also paper-thin and you really can't afford being hit much before it goes boom. You do need to be on your toes all of the time to make the ship work, but when you manage to synchronize yourself with the B'rel it can be ridiculosely fun to fly.

I hope this helped you in any way. Qapla'!

Hello, shpoks, and thank you as well for your great reply too!

As I read the replies this moment , I began to utter (first silently then louder), a word in Klingon, I couldn't believe it, and the word that comes forth is:

maj , Maj, MAJ !!!! BWAHAHAHAHAAHAA!!!!!

(which , according to this website: http://www.kli.org/tlh/phrases.html, means "good" in Klingon I believe).

I appreciate All the feedback and advice! As for flying the ship, I have quite the confidence with my pilot skills, seeing as I have mastered moving the Dreadnought Cruiser (fed), and can hit my target/s with precision, swiftly.

Once again you too have convinced me with all you've said , that I definitely will get the Brel !

onward now to the next post.

-Aaron
    edited March 2013
    Some Pro's & Con's of the the B'Rel BOP.

PRO'S
    + Enhanced Battle Cloak: Same benefit and dangers of Battle Cloaks of other BOPs, but the Enhanced Battle Cloak allows the firing off of BOFF abilities and Torpedoes which temporarily drop the cloak. Once done, the B'Rel recloaks after about 3 seconds. Dropping mines does not break cloak.
    + Flexible Universal BOFF Slots: Like all other BOPs, the B'Rel's BOFF slots are totally universal. Alot of combinations possible to fit a certain playstyle.
    + Best Torpedo Boat in the game: Due to the nature of its unique Enhanced Battle Cloak, a wise B'Rel user in PVP can freely move around the map, looking for targets of opportunity. When I use my B'Rel Torpedo Boat, I fly cloaked more than 90% of the entire match, yet still get my chances to attack. Science and Tac Captains are ideal for the Torpedo Boat.
    + Nasty Mine Layer: You stay cloaked while dropping mines. 'Nuff said...
    + Highest turn rates in the game. It takes some getting used to.
    + Balanced Console Layout: 3 all around.
    + Until the Romulan BOPs come out, there is absolutely nothing else like a BOP. And among the BOPs, the B'Rel stands unique due to its special cloak.

CON'S
    - Like all BOPs, most fragile hull and shield points. BOPs are not meant to stay in the mix of a furball. BOP users must exercise alot of discipline in this and fight off that temptation to hang on a target's tail for a few seconds more. It is in that moment when you've set yourself up to someone else coming in to help the guy you're trying to finish off.
    - Discipine in cloak usage: Using the cloaks while getting shot at is one of the most dangerous things you can do in the game. The moment you hit the cloak button, your shields drop and it takes several seconds for the cloak to go into effect. Before you do this, you need to put alot of distance between you and the threat. And if there's still that bad feeling, pop something like Polarize Hull to provide hull resists and pray that you make it.
    - Less overall BOFF slots: The complete Universal BOFF stations come at a price that you will have fewer total BOFF skills equipped than normal ships.
    - Being "detected" while cloaked - No shields, completely vulnerable. Also, certain abilities like AOE stuff will drop you out of cloak if you are near them when they go off. Getting caught while cloaked will leave many surprised for a bit, and that's a terrible moment of vulnerability while they take emergency actions to escape.

And Thank You as well, warmaker, for your reply too!

Once again, seeing the pro's and con's of this ship, has made me all the More excited and confident in deciding to purchase the Brel Bird Of Prey ship, once I reach 2000 zen !

Well, Thank you ALL, for your GREAT words and Advice/ replies! (and also to anyone else whom replies in the future, I can not guarantee I will check this post often , since you all have now helped me solve my problem/ question, which was whether to buy the ship or not, and I Definitely Will ! )

And so, (once I gain enough zen), I look forward to spending more time as a Klingon soon(though I won't abandon my fed side, I hope to spend equal time on either).

Thank You all, and (according to that website), I say to you all in Klingon, ahem:

Buy'ngop ! tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam !

QAPLA !
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    B'rel is klingon for 'TRIBBLE'.

No, really. The ship was named after the captain of the prototype, upon his first kill in it, wet his chair.

Its also why all B'rel captain chairs come with extra tough targ leather trimmings, reclining seat and bloodwine flask holder.

Seriously now:

Only buy this ship if you are planning on making it a torpedo ship. Any other setup is a complete waste of it. A Heghta BoP (free rank 40 ship) does better than the b'rel when using energy weapons.

That being said, you also need a set of captain skills to use it properly. Namely full torpedo spec, subspace decompiler, armor/hull resist boxes and engine/impulse boxes (aside from the standard others). Basically you must focus exclusively on anything that helps your hull, your torpedoes, your speed and your ability to stun and use sensor attacks. I would suggest also graviton and particle skills for the gravity well is glorious in pve and photonic shockwave is excellent in pvp. You can fire both from cloak.
  • jaephjaeph Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Something I haven't been able to find, or maybe i've just missed it...

What does the breen cluster torpedo/mine thingy share a cooldown with? I'm guessing it shares a cooldown with cluster torpedos, not mines, but I want to be sure.

Bonus question - the breen rapid fire transphasic thingy - that's considered the same as a normal transphasic torpedo for shared cooldown, right?

-Jeff
  • espiritasespiritas Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The breen cluster torp only shares the 1 second global torpedo cooldown. It does not interfere with any other torpedo type. If you are running two breen clusters I believe the shared cool is 15 seconds. Most people advise on only having one, just as with the har'peng, tric torps and mines, bio neural, etc.

And the rapid fire trannies fire under the same cooldown effects of normal torpedos. they are trannies that just have a shortened cooldown.

We are many. We are legion. We are the proud, the bad, the infinitely expendable.
    We! Are RED SHIRTS!
    ...Tremble in thy footwear.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jaeph wrote: »
    Something I haven't been able to find, or maybe i've just missed it...

What does the breen cluster torpedo/mine thingy share a cooldown with? I'm guessing it shares a cooldown with cluster torpedos, not mines, but I want to be sure.

The Breen Cluster torpedo shares a cool down with the Tricolbolt torpedo. Say you use the cluster, then the tricolbolt will have a 30 sec cool down.

Last time I checked anyway which was pre-season 6.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!