What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #41 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It sounds like you have a lot of possibilities that could account for it--though I guess I think there would need to be something, given that she did violate Starfleet protocol without there being any clear and present danger (such as a drone attacking people). Some reason why she got off the hook for that--either a past event, or some sort of present/future repercussion. Many of those options above could work.

And I sure hope I didn't sound like I was accusing you of sadism. :-/ That was definitely not my intent to appear as if I thought badly of you.

I just meant that Kathryn chose a method of execution that was designed specifically for shock and revenge, like the 24th century equivalent of chaining someone to the back of one's car and dragging them down the interstate. Something that, if I were in that universe and saw it in a holonovel, I might well be saying, "Hell yeah!" depending on the context, but if I saw it "IRL," I'd be horrified. Not sure if that makes sense?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Right, since I haven't had much time to write at all during this week, and since I've been sufferig a bit of writer's block, I have a quick question: what would the readers among you prefer to see, a story from the Federation or KDF perspective?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ironphoenix113 - great adaptation of the battle of Starbase 24! The dialogue was sharply written, particularly between Bryan and General D'ald. You could have expanded the actual battle a little bit more but I liked the descriptions you gave of Bryan orchestrating the assault and the Athena in action.

@ sander233 - could you aim for shorter entries? The pirate one was the perfect length.

Uhh...

*checks progress of entry for LC41, currently 19 pages in MS Word*

Maybe for LC42?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've gotten as far as the crew of the TRIBBLE - pardon me, the Bastogne - preparing to board the station to rescue the hostages, and I seem to have run out of steam. I think I may need to introduce a character or two. I'll try to finish this up by deadline, but no promises...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    I'd say that those sorts of things should only be taken as options--not obligations for the authors. We all have our own styles and a right to those styles. :)

Aren't all of our comments merely suggestions? But to be courteous I will keep my comments to myself for this round since you aren't interested. No worries.
    sander233 wrote: »
    Uhh...

*checks progress of entry for LC41, currently 19 pages in MS Word*

Maybe for LC42?

Note that I haven't said anything negative about your entries. Part of me is sad that I don't always get to finish them because they are so long...so take that as a sort of compliment. The weekend is coming so there is hope for me though.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Note that I haven't said anything negative about your entries. Part of me is sad that I don't always get to finish them because they are so long...so take that as a sort of compliment. The weekend is coming so there is hope for me though.

No problemo.

I think I may have mentioned before I'm used to writing novels and just now getting into the short story format. My first novel was over 650 pages, though, so I am at least limiting myself a little.

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ sander - I'm interested in your work, may I have the name of your novel?

@ ambassadormolari - Flip a coin because I'll read whatever comes out of your imagination!

@ ironphoenix113 - Awesome entry! I'll add to the chorus that the top-level version of a fleet battle was different and interesting. As cumbersome as Star Trek space battles tend to be, even the big fights against the Borg and Dominion on the show had some much happening that it's all a blurr. Writing it as you did gave the same impression: you know what's happening, but the details are lost or unnecessary *because* of the bigger picture.

@ superhombre777 - Man, you must hate Section 31 :P Actually, even the few missions I have played have really had me look at Drake as more than just a protagonist in a game. I snarl at his portrait because he represents the "necessary evil" in Starfleet - which I admit shouldn't exist in my mind :D Anyways, well done and thank you for the timeline - that is very influential to me with my current project.

Speaking of which ...

@ gulberat - No way did I think you think I'm sadistic. :) The Lone Drone piece was designed to show Kathryn's cruelty. I thought it was a "hell yeah" moment but in hindsight I think I would be mortified as well ... THEN I think about my own loathing for anything "Borg" in Star Trek. Borg + Kathryn's vendetta against an Orion gang = extreme action. Still, you and patrickngo had me thinking hard about my situation.

I'm planning to write an origins story in an attempt to explain Kathryn. I think sprinkling in flashbacks during the LCs may cause some confusion, may not get the point of her personna right, and will ultimately drag out her motivations along the way. IOver five LCs I've given the readers how Kathryn is "now", but very little about "what happened" to explain current events. Kathryn is not meant to be cruel - she is to be a strong leader, warrior and capable Captain in Starfleet but who is flawed. Yet, the flaw should not be crippling to negate everything else she is.

Naturally, this process will take some time to develop and reveal as I want to "get it right". Maybe I'm thinking too hard on the subject, but "Kathryn" has been with me since 2005 and I've not finished her tale as a hero/vigilante in City of Heroes - I'm basically starting over in STO.

Thank you all for your feedback over the LCs, it is really appreciated ^_^
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @cmdrscarlet: I never saw Kathryn as cruel - because judging by what was revealed in the "Lone Drone" story, she was at one point captured by Orion slavers, possibly even enslaved herself. She's not cruel, I don't think - she's angry. And possibly suffering from undiagnosed PTSD, because not every counselor is telepathic or empathic (Lt. Brel, on the Bastogne, is Bajoran).

I can empathize with her point of view, assuming my read is correct - and I look forward to her origin story, to see if I'm right. :) Basically, I've seen her as a grown-up and "fixed" version of the girl in the Mass Effect storyline "I Remember Me" (available to a Shepard who was a colonist).

@shevet: Really good story. I won't say why, because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet. GO and do so, y'all.

Favorite line: I check my settings. I did have it on stun. Pity.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Jonsills - Thank you for your comments; you are touching on what I want. I now feel I need to give myself, and the readers, more ...

@ chivalrybean - LOL! All that happened for ... that?! Brilliant. And welcome to the LC :)

@ shevet - Dagnabit ... really good work. Thank Kirk this is not a competition :P And I agree with jonsills, that's a great line :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @chivalrybean - I love the way you progressively built tension just to hit us with a gag ending. :D

@shevat - What a fantastic piece. Tampering with quantum realities - how wonderfully madly implausible, in the finest Star Trek tradition. :cool:

@ sander - I'm interested in your work, may I have the name of your novel?

I'm pretty sure it's against forum rules to post about our commercial interests, but check your PMs. :)

If anyone else is interested, feel free to PM me.

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    sparklysoldiersparklysoldier Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looking forward to reading it :cool:

Thanks! It's finished, and kind of follows up on a plot element that arose during Marcus's investigation. I can't say much more without spoiling the story's twists and turns, but I hope you like it. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Looks like I owe a few of you some comments. I'll try to get to that tonight. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    After spending way too much time writing something no one will pay me to read I finally got this one to the point where I'm happy with it. It's another lengthy entry, for which I do apologize, but hey, the weekend's almost here. I took the opportunity to introduce a few more crew members and recurring characters. There's a lot of people running around in my head, so to help keep all the faces straight I've listed them here in a marcusdkane-style casting call.

The Crew of the Tiburon:
    * V. Adm. Jesu LaRoca :: Michael Pena
    * Cmdr. Marq Sander (first officer, 1/2 Klingon) :: Chiwetel Ejiofor
    * Cmdr. Fozz Ibear (second officer / ops chief, Andorian) :: Ron Perlman
    * Cmdr. LaRoca Rusty (security chief, closest thing to his species would be a Raptor from Jurassic Park) :: voiced by Josh Hartnett
    * Cmdr. Hector "Ming" Domingo (chief engineer) :: Benicio Del Toro
    * Cmdr. Traa'cee (tactical officer, Vulcan) :: Carrie-Anne Moss
    * LCdr. Yumi (engineer, Ferengi) :: Faune A. Chambers
    * LCdr. Yoann Teena (science officer, Bajoran) :: Sarah Clarke
    * LCdr. Dr. Maria Espinoza (CMO) :: Adriana Barraza
    * Lt. Barrister (operations, android) :: Alan Tudyk
    * Lt. Omid Enfanfar (operations / engineering) :: Hrach Titizian
    * Lt. Amraam (deputy chief of security, Ferengi) :: Oscar Isaac
    * Lt. Pakray (tactical officer, Tellarite) :: Richard Ayoade
    * Lt. "Sticks" Stikvaa (conn officer, Gorn) :: voiced by Ryan Reynolds
    * Lt. Erick "Numbers" Marsolek (weapons officer) :: Carlo Rota
    * Lt. jg. Mitiani Zain (weapons officer, Cardassian) :: Mila Kunis
    * Ens. Dustin "Dusty" Massimino (conn officer) :: Jamie Bell
    * Ens. Boris Erebia (shield distribution officer) :: Eric Balfour
    * Spfc. Rain Robinson (sensors officer) :: Sarah Silverman
    * Acting Lt. K'Jetsk (science officer and combat medic, Reman) :: Viggo Mortensen
    * Hank "Hacksaw" Miller (intelligence advisor) :: Kiefer Sutherland
    * Ennari Dai (senior diplomatic advisor, joined Trill) :: Natalie Portman
    * Stazratts (diplomatic advisor, Gorn) :: voiced by Scott Glenn
    * Ivan Jovanovich (diplomatic advisor) :: Mads Mikkelsen
    * Kugid (diplomatic advisor, Orion) :: Michael Chiklis

And featuring Rudyard as himself

Special Guest Stars:
    * Admiral Bill Davis (director of STS) :: John Noble
    * R. Adm. G'Dahn (Vulcan?) :: Adoni Maropis
    * Capt. Frank Grimes (STS program manager) :: Edward Norton
    * Commander Nivek :: Nicolas Cage
    * Lt. Andrei Kurkov :: Denis Khoroshko
    * Six of Eight :: Famke Janssen

Past Appearances (LC 40):
    * Gen. Ssharki (Gorn) :: voiced by Phillip Seymour Hoffman
    * Cmdr. Sway (Gorn) :: voiced by Ben Foster
    * Lt. Nietta Holbox (1/2 Orion, 1/2 Human) :: Salma Hayek (ca. 2000)
    * Bekk Cal (Gorn) :: voiced by Jimmy Bennett

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @sparklysoldier - Nice to see Azera win, for once. (sorta.) I like where you took Quinn's speculation of the true nature of Section 31. I can't help but wonder though, about FD's plan for Azera. Even if S31 doesn't try again, what's to stop Klingon Intelligence?

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Aw, you guys, give ol' Drake a break. At the very least, you're going to be denying me a very long-standing nemesis if everyone succeeds! :p

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sander233 wrote: »
    @sparklysoldier - Nice to see Azera win, for once. (sorta.) I like where you took Quinn's speculation of the true nature of Section 31. I can't help but wonder though, about FD's plan for Azera. Even if S31 doesn't try again, what's to stop Klingon Intelligence?

Oh, she won as much as the status quo would ever allow her to in that situation. :) And after so many stories with either bittersweet or outright bleak endings, she really needed to have one adventure with an unabashed victory. As for FD, it's a good question! My take on him is that he's professional enough that, even though he's outraged right now, it won't really turn into a personal vendetta (after all, he does kind of admire her duplicity). This story touches on the question raised before of what groups like S31 would do with her if they found out, and, though it'd be redundant to write stories about other groups like the Tal Shiar and Klingon Intelligence, we can get an idea of the sort of intrigue dealing with them would probably involve too.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Aw, you guys, give ol' Drake a break. At the very least, you're going to be denying me a very long-standing nemesis if everyone succeeds! :p

No worries, he'll figure out some way to squirm out of the events in that story and wind up right back where he started. ;) Though her log entry about "Suspect" is going to be fun to write: "you're kidding, we have to rescue him? Well, can I at least stun him first? Okay, fine..." :D
  • Options
    maverickdude05maverickdude05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    First off, sorry for my story being so short, I've read almost every LC but finally decided to jump into the action and post one for myself. I would like some feed back from the veteran posters. (I think mine is on page one of the LC)

Second:
    @cmdrscarlet: your stories are awesome. Pretty much been glued to them. Although there are background pieces missing a bit, overall Kathryn is an awesome character.

Last:
    gulbaret: how did you make that duty officer box thing in your posts for your character?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @shevet: What a crazy, mind-bending plot! I also liked the present-tense narration; it brought a lot of urgency to the events taking place, and it was also rather fitting when you consider how hard it is to figure out exactly when and where things really took place.

@sparklysoldier: Very interesting, the trick with the Orb's name! It was actually bothering me, too--the Orb of Space when we know space and time to be the same thing. But I guess I didn't give the ancient Bajorans enough credit to know that even when canon states how long they have actually had advanced civilization. The layers upon layers of tricks and traps are really awesome--I LOVED seeing Drake literally laid low by Azera (definitely a trick that would be way beyond Alyosha's power...seems Azera's telepathy is very advanced!), especially after the extreme level of cruelty and callousness he demonstrated. I wonder how he would feel about being compared to the Borg Queen in his mentality! Speaking of which, her Borg origin story was priceless! ;) And Azera's final little revisions to her report...bwaaaahahahaha!

@cmdrscarlet: An origins story for Kathryn could be very interesting. :) I still hope that in that (or in another entry), we will see an explanation for the crew's acceptance of her vendetta. BTW, I don't agree with what I saw as rather...gender-biased advice that patrickngo gave you, that Kathryn's being a woman means hiding parts of her backstory in order to make her alluring to men.

@maverickdude: This thread will provide you a Photoshop template. :)http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=380341

• Options
    edited April 2013
    It's finally finished. I don't think I like writing combat scenes. Hope the next story doesn't call for so many of them.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's finally finished. I don't think I like writing combat scenes. Hope the next story doesn't call for so many of them.

For a guy who doesn't like writing combat, you do a pretty fine job of it. Your ground and space scenes were immersive, believable, and humorous - a difficult combination to achieve.

Great story all around.

Oh, and this:
    "You know something, Rock? I'm really getting tired of all this temporal TRIBBLE."

"Trust me, sir," Roclak said dryly, "I've already promised myself that if we ever wind up on Earth in the late 19th century, I'm going to find the human writer Wells and kick him in the head until he forgets all about his time machine idea."
    made me laugh my TRIBBLE off.

- Anne Bredon
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gulberat wrote: »
    @sparklysoldier: Very interesting, the trick with the Orb's name! It was actually bothering me, too--the Orb of Space when we know space and time to be the same thing. But I guess I didn't give the ancient Bajorans enough credit to know that even when canon states how long they have actually had advanced civilization.

I'm glad you liked it! The name of the Orb bothered me slightly too, and I even started to think of other phrases before realizing that that actually works well - it really should sound slightly off even before the story reveals the reason for it. And yeah, the Bajorans seem to be one of the most ancient civilizations in the quadrant. It's a good thing they weren't very ambitious, or the alpha quadrant would've turned into the Bajoran Empire centuries ago (though that would make one epic alternate-timeline story)!
    The layers upon layers of tricks and traps are really awesome--I LOVED seeing Drake literally laid low by Azera (definitely a trick that would be way beyond Alyosha's power...seems Azera's telepathy is very advanced!), especially after the extreme level of cruelty and callousness he demonstrated.

Oh, the complete role reversal she pulled on him was very fun to write. ;) So much of her story focuses on the difficult truths she has to confront about herself that seeing Azera just trouncing an opponent is really rewarding, and it offers a glimpse of how snarky and canny she can be with her enemies. This is the side of Azera that won her a command and inspires her crew, even if she'll never take credit for it.

I think Alyosha's telepathy is more reliably effective and he's more comfortable with it, while Azera has moments of greatness amid a lifelong habit of hardly using it at all. The telepathic trick she pulls was partly enabled by Drake putting them both in a rare situation where it'd be of use, and it so nicely represents the shift of power back and forth between them, as, in an instant, the world flips upside-down and he finds himself helpless against her in precisely the same way that she seemed to be helpless against him.
    I wonder how he would feel about being compared to the Borg Queen in his mentality! Speaking of which, her Borg origin story was priceless! ;-) And Azera's final little revisions to her report...bwaaaahahahaha!

Thanks! And the worst part from Drake's point of view? It wouldn't even be a fair comparison: the Borg Queen terrified Azera, while he just made her mad. :D I wasn't sure how she'd emerge from the last story emotionally, but it's actually made her more confident in herself: withstanding a confrontation with the Collective has really put some of the other threats she deals with into perspective.

Hopefully I'll have a few more stories read by this weekend, but for now...

@marcusdkane: The custom tricorder opening's really intriguing, and hopefully the lack of a resolution in this story means we'll be learning more about it later on. :) Very good story (and a brutal reminder that Worf's paladin-like adherence to Klingon honor really is the exception, not the rule :() and I like how much of it's left open for further. The explanation about the different ways to destroy a star is really well done: between trilithium warheads, the Hobus supernova and now shutting off the gravity, stars are becoming dangerous things to keep lying around!
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ chivalrybean: That was a really nice entry, and as mentioned, fantastic buildup to an amusing ending. Welcome to the LCs :)

@ shevet: Very tasty... Not quite the ending I was expecting, but a very solid entry :cool:

@ sander233: "Grimes stopped laughing..." :D

@ jonsills: Another excellent entry, I am rather liking the heroic Commander Grunt, he shows that Ferengi are capable of being more than just comic relief :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks! It's finished, and kind of follows up on a plot element that arose during Marcus's investigation. I can't say much more without spoiling the story's twists and turns, but I hope you like it. :-)

I do indeed, and that has also given me an idea... :cool:
    The custom tricorder opening's really intriguing, and hopefully the lack of a resolution in this story means we'll be learning more about it later on. :-) Very good story (and a brutal reminder that Worf's paladin-like adherence to Klingon honor really is the exception, not the rule :-( ) and I like how much of it's left open for further. The explanation about the different ways to destroy a star is really well done: between trilithium warheads, the Hobus supernova and now shutting off the gravity, stars are becoming dangerous things to keep lying around!
    Everyone loves the tricorder, and thanks :D My inspiration for that was the Klingons in Search for Spock (at one point, I was tempted for the project to be re-Genesis, but thought that would be a bit of a cliche...) so a bit more 'viking brutality' than 'samurai etiquette'. As mentioned, the idea of shutting off a star's gravity is that of a Nova bomb in Andromeda, so I looked at this as the historical research that allowed the Highguard to have those kind of weapons as standard payload in The Future :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @ ambassadormolari: That was awesome!!! A really nice twist to see the mission from the Other Side, and the action was totally engrossing. My one issue was I found having so much in italics made it awkward to focus on, but I understand why you would have wanted to make that distinction, and it didn't distract from the action in any way :cool:
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ ambassadormolari: That was awesome!!! A really nice twist to see the mission from the Other Side, and the action was totally engrossing. My one issue was I found having so much in italics made it awkward to focus on, but I understand why you would have wanted to make that distinction, and it didn't distract from the action in any way :cool:

I will admit, I was a bit worried that the italics might make it a bit difficult to read. If anyone else has a problem with it, then I'd be perfectly happy to edit them out of the post. Otherwise, glad you enjoyed it!

After having read some more stories:

@shevet: Another awesome piece! The full implications of Dr. Tamik's experiment are mind-bending, to say the least. Leave it to Starfleet's science division to find new and interesting ways to irrevocably break the universe...

@sparklysoldier: I loved the confrontation between Azera and Drake, and liked the interesting twist Drake pulled at the end to avoid imprisonment. Overall, a really cleverly-written piece that highlights just how resourceful-- and despicable-- Section 31 can be.

@sander: Okay, it is official, Captain Grimes is now my favourite among your characters. As usual, an enjoyable read!

@jonsills: Huzzah, more of Captain Grunt! I agree with everyone else so far, your stories are very enjoyable to read, and Grunt is a very nice alteration on the usual Ferengi tropes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm glad you liked it! The name of the Orb bothered me slightly too, and I even started to think of other phrases before realizing that that actually works well - it really should sound slightly off even before the story reveals the reason for it.

Exactly...well done. :)
    Oh, the complete role reversal she pulled on him was very fun to write. ;)

I can tell...that's one of the things that makes it so fun to read!
    I think Alyosha's telepathy is more reliably effective and he's more comfortable with it, while Azera has moments of greatness amid a lifelong habit of hardly using it at all.

Comfortable and reliable for what he is able to use it for, yes...but he would never be able to pull a trick like Azera did. Even its peak power isn't that powerful. Dealing with humanoids, part of that might be due to the incompatibility between his brain and theirs. There is unfortunately some compatibility due to how Devidians normally "eat," but for him communication is about all he can expect. Even when he tried to fight against the other Devidians he was only able to force images on them...not control. I guess I have just approached it as not being that powerful.

It seems their types and levels of talents are reversed; he of course has far stronger telekinesis.
    The telepathic trick she pulls was partly enabled by Drake putting them both in a rare situation where it'd be of use, and it so nicely represents the shift of power back and forth between them, as, in an instant, the world flips upside-down and he finds himself helpless against her in precisely the same way that she seemed to be helpless against him.

Definitely! The saying "turnabout is fair play" definitely applied to that!
    Thanks! And the worst part from Drake's point of view? It wouldn't even be a fair comparison: the Borg Queen terrified Azera, while he just made her mad. :D I wasn't sure how she'd emerge from the last story emotionally, but it's actually made her more confident in herself: withstanding a confrontation with the Collective has really put some of the other threats she deals with into perspective.

She is definitely a very strong, resilient individual for that to be true. An admirable trait. :) It's probably very fortunate that her upbringing discourages cockiness, or else she could end up quite arrogant instead of just confident.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    jonsills--I love how Grunt's "deviance" according to Ferengi society makes him the ideal Starfleet captain. :) Is it wrong that I always imagine him much taller than the average Ferengi because of that? ;) One thing is for sure...I would NOT want to cross him. He's quite capable of opening a can of whoop-a$$ on his enemies...

• Options
    edited April 2013
    @sander: Okay, it is official, Captain Grimes is now my favourite among your characters. As usual, an enjoyable read!
    @ sander233: "Grimes stopped laughing..." :D

I wish I'd written more for him. Hopefully the opportunity will be there in future LCs, because I really want to explore STS and Grimes a lot more.

- Anne Bredon