test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reputation sets upgrade projects

kratk1kratk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Haven't posted in a while (or at all since forums got transferred to PWE), but this thing has been bugging me for quite some time.

Leveling up reputation tiers on my alts, I noticed that up to tier 5, most of the stuff (Mk X ground and universal consoles/sets being exception) is pretty much useless and used by no one.

Which is a shame, considering those items/sets are there, and should be much more useful in the long run.

How?

Lets say you want to buy Mk X Omega ground set worth 750 Omega marks and 10500 Dilithium after unlocking tier I.
No costume but it still serves a purpose for ground STF-s on a new alt.
So why not keep that set and upgrade it as you reach tier 3 and 5, with Mk XI and XII sets, respectively?

My idea is simple: Sets upgrade projects.

There are 3 requirements:
1) Tiers that provide "better" sets unlocked through reputation system
2) Having entire set from earlier tier (meaning: to upgrade to Mk XI, you would need full X set, while upgrading to Mk XII set you would need Mk XI set)
3) Paying the difference (so pretty much, you don't save anything, but you also don't have bank full of sets you don't use anymore; also Cryptic doesn't "lose" anything by it)

After all, its already working nicely with Jem'Hadar Shroud set in the Lobi store, so I don't see any problem with that option being added to the reputation system.

It is neither unreasonable nor game-breaking feature that could potentially hurt game balance, but rather useful addition for both new players just starting STO, as well as veteran player starting/grinding a new alt.

Share your thoughts :)
Post edited by kratk1 on

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kratk1 wrote: »
    Leveling up reputation tiers on my alts, I noticed that up to tier 5, most of the stuff (Mk X ground and universal consoles/sets being exception) is pretty much useless and used by no one.

My alts don't get alot of use, so I DO buy the Mk X sets (or XI if they happen to have more marks than I thought). I find Mk X is fine for Elite STFs for them. For my main toon I will grind out the marks for the Mk 12s.

I'd be all for getting some discount for upgrading sets if you have the lower Mk level. Not an even tradeup as if you had not bought the X, but say it'd cost you an extra 10% or something to go "from X to XI" vs just waiting and buying the XI
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My alts don't get alot of use, so I DO buy the Mk X sets (or XI if they happen to have more marks than I thought). I find Mk X is fine for Elite STFs for them. For my main toon I will grind out the marks for the Mk 12s.

I'd be all for getting some discount for upgrading sets if you have the lower Mk level. Not an even tradeup as if you had not bought the X, but say it'd cost you an extra 10% or something to go "from X to XI" vs just waiting and buying the XI

As I said, Mk X is fine, but why not get option to upgrade them as you advance through reputation tiers?

Atm, most (again, not all) of the XI and X gear is being ignored and everyone is waiting for tier 4/5 and Mk XII "elite" stuff.

This proposal would change that by making Mk X sets something you will hold on try to make it better to as your toon advances through the game :)
  • Options
    theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can get behind this idea, in fact it boggles my mind as to why it isn't this way from the onset.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • Options
    benovidebenovide Member Posts: 397
    edited April 2013
    Just give the old set to one of your BOffs
  • Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sounds good to me, if it works for the jem'hadar, why not?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    benovide wrote: »
    Just give the old set to one of your BOffs

And what about space sets? :)
    deyvad wrote: »
    sounds good to me, if it works for the jem'hadar, why not?

Yeah, its obviously not hard to implement, if they wanted to.