test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Advanced mapping commands: /freecam 1 /Showcampos 1

So, you are building stuff at the other side of the map, high in the air, whatever.
What 90% of the players do now? Move the spawn around or keep running to the Point of Interest.
Wrong!

Try to align objects at elevated position? Most people jump around, turn low gravity on, add something to stand on etc.
Wrong!

Want to know the current positions's X/Y/Z coordinates? Use /loc.
Not outright wrong, but almost.

Behold:

/freecam 1
This detaches the camera from the player. With the WASD keys, the mouse and the mouse buttons, you can fly around very fast to wherever you want to. No clipping, you can fly through anything. And the best thing is? The camera stays where you left it. Next time you load up the map, it will be at the same spot. If you want to get something right, you line up the camera and keep going in and out of preview. To turn off, use /freecam 0 .
As a bonus, it is good for landscape shots without the player.

/Showcampos 1
It shows the exact position of the camera at any given moment in the top left corner. Map name, X/Y/Z to 3 decimals and rotation angles. Useful on its own, but best used with the freecam command.
Post edited by pendra3780 on

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cool. I'll try those out tomorrow.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pendra3780 wrote: »
    So, you are building stuff at the other side of the map, high in the air, whatever.
    What 90% of the players do now? Move the spawn around or keep running to the Point of Interest.
    Wrong!

Try to align objects at elevated position? Most people jump around, turn low gravity on, add something to stand on etc.
    Wrong!

Behold:

/freecam 1
    This detaches the camera from the player. With the WASD keys, the mouse and the mouse buttons, you can fly around very fast to wherever you want to. No clipping, you can fly through anything. And the best thing is? The camera stays where you left it. Next time you load up the map, it will be at the same spot. If you want to get something right, you line up the camera and keep going in and out of preview. To turn off, use /freecam 0 .

/Showcampos 1
    It shows the exact position of the camera at any given moment in the top left corner. Map name, X/Y/Z to 3 decimals and rotation angles. Useful on its own, but best used with the freecam command.

Wow. Thanks Pendra. I didn't know these commands existed. You should make a blog post at sbugc. Lots of folks will find this info useful.

The Y value is correct on showcampos? No conversion or math required?

Edit: wow, this works great. Just knowing these commands existed would have saved me about 1000 hours during the last 2 years. Devs, would it have killed somebody to tell us about them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    This is also great for getting screenshots for promo images. Especially since you can't demorecord until the map is published.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited March 2013
    It sucks that showcampos still requires us to do the math. The y value also looks nonsensical.

But, I'll use it if I'm already in freecam mode.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Whoa. What else can I say but THANK YOU. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have yet to try this but i can already tell this thread should be a sticky!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You sir, have won the internet.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • pendra3780pendra3780 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It sucks that showcampos still requires us to do the math. The y value also looks nonsensical.

But, I'll use it if I'm already in freecam mode.

You gave me an idea. So I made a nice little program that
    - Takes the values from the corner
    - OCRs it
    - Does the math
    - Displays you the values in meters.

I didn't stop there. I added a function to zero the Y value on the map. A list to which you can save the actual coordinates with a line of text for notes. And it can also calculate X/Y/Z differences between 2 points.

http://sto-advanced.com/STOPosCap.jpg

How it works in practice:

Fly to an misaligned object.
    Save the coordinates and note the name/reminder of the object.
    Fly to the position, the object should actually be.
    Save the coordinate again.

Keep doing that, until you noted everything you want to move. Everything is in meters, of course.

Go back to edit mode and use the list to make the adjustments. With that you save a lot of time, paper, brain capacity and going back and forth of the preview mode.

If I wanted to be really anal about it, then I could make it completely math free. You select the object you want to move, select the line in the list that corresponds to that object and hit Modify. The app would calculate and change the X/Y/Z values automatically.

You need MS Word for OCR. That OCR which is not really good quality so the app can miscalculate occasionally. However it is still quite accurate.
    edited April 2013
    I may need a tutorial to use your tool, lol.

I will study that last post later. For now, I just wanted to post this. I regret not talking about showcampos, but i simply forgot.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/trailers/essential-viewing/primetimeugcs-presents-mini-tutorial-with-kirkfat/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    I fixed this measurer up to standards. You can get it from here:
    www.sto-advanced.com\FoundryPosCap.zip

Move the the transparent form over the ShowCamPos coordinate line, which is the top line. Size it properly and close. That is the setup you need. You can use it normally afterward.
    You need MS Word installed to use this.
  • sternenforschersternenforscher Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wrong!

Wrong!

Behold:

/freecam 1

/Showcampos 1

THANKS YOU!!! Thats a really good funktion! :D:D
    With greetings,
    Fleet Admiral Vice Admiral Paul Alter, Terran Star Empire, and Telo, of Martoks Stammg
    edited April 2013
    So what exactly do you have to multiply/divide to get the correct X/Y/Z values?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited April 2013
    So what exactly do you have to multiply/divide to get the correct X/Y/Z values?

the showcampos command, as well as /loc give you old versions (or we might say "non-foundry" versions of the x and z coordinates. You have to convert them to foundry coordinates by dividing each number by 3.28 or 3.281. The Y is still guesswork.

Personally, I still like the /loc better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Nah, I don't like to type that in all the time. Plus it doesn't work well with freecam. IIRC it shows the location of the player, not the location of the camera.

The little app does the math on the fly automatically. It miscalculates occasionally, thanks to MS office but it works 98% of time.
    edited April 2013
    Nah, I don't line to type that in all the time. Plus it doesn't work well with freecam. IIRC it shows the location of the player, not the location of the camera.

The little app does the math on the fly automatically. It miscalculates occasionally, thanks to MS office but it works 98% of time.

Hey Pendra, do you know a way to keybind /freecam 1 and 0? If we knew the command to say turn freecam on and off by hitting F1 or F2... it would be helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    I'm just guessing
    /bind F1 "freecam 1"
    /bind F2 "freecam 0"
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't... what is this... I don't even?

**Vomits**
    edited May 2013
    Okay, this is weird. I used /loc, and this is what I got back:

8186 -7661 -3935

Dividing by 3.28 still gives figures in the four digits, which obviously doesn't fit into the map coordinates. Am I doing something wrong?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited May 2013
    Okay, this is weird. I used /loc, and this is what I got back:

8186 -7661 -3935

Dividing by 3.28 still gives figures in the four digits, which obviously doesn't fit into the map coordinates. Am I doing something wrong?

That's very strange. I've rarely seen numbers higher than 1200. What is the map?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    That's very strange. I've rarely seen numbers higher than 1200. What is the map?

Sol System New. The spawn point is inside ESD's "hangar" - I'm trying to get the ship to spawn like it's docked.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone