test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• pfreemanpfreeman Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So I've been able to get past the loading screen on Tribble, but once I get here the game just freezes. Interestingly the loading screen is full screen, but this screen is windowed:
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/PerRock/ScreenShot2013-04-07at144237.png

peter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dynamojr wrote: »
    This program works ok for me with Champions right now, but I was wondering if you can use it to play both Champions and STO? Would I have to download it again and rename the CO one or something?

I haven't tried... I keep them separate.

I think someone told me if you install both, and launch the launcher, you can select one or the other in the launcher.. or something like that? that would work. Otherwise I'd probably write myself a little launcher program to choose, or even a simple batch file.
  • jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm having a frustrating issue with the game: Ever since 5 April, I can't get into the game. I had it working fine for a long time until then. I didn't mess with any settings or anything else. All I did was log out and then try to log back in, but I couldn't because all I was getting was a back white screen.

So I re-installed it and now I can log in with my username and password, and it says "Loading launcher..." for a second or two, as if it's going to start up normally, but then it doesn't patch. At the bottom of the screen, instead of patching, it just stays black and empty. In that area in the lower right corner of the screen it says "Patch" but if I click on it, nothing happens. It's kinda hard to describe. Here's a picture so you can see what I'm talking about:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43646180/IMG_20130407_221036.jpg

After I log in, that's all I get. Basically I can log in but it doesn't patch or launch beyond that log-in/patch screen. I've re-installed both the game and the wrapper several times, to no avail. Any ideas as to what might be causing it, and how to fix it?

Update: Never mind, after about a couple dozen tries, I finally figured out what was wrong; it was the engine. I switched to a different engine in Wineskin and that got it working again.
  • thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pfreeman wrote: »
    So I've been able to get past the loading screen on Tribble, but once I get here the game just freezes. Interestingly the loading screen is full screen, but this screen is windowed:
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/PerRock/ScreenShot2013-04-07at144237.png

peter

ya i am having the same issue

got my Wine engine and wrapper at latest; and working fine on holodeck

but seems to get stuck at the brightness slider when trying to log in to tribble
  • turtlebeng14turtlebeng14 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So my launcher used to have the old windows header, not the mac one, until a few days ago. I hadn't changed any settings, but when I opened it this is what I got:
    http://i.imgur.com/0i7oNvD.png

The header is changed and there's a second window with fed badge thumbnail in it. I updated wine to 2.5.9 but nothing changed. I'm unsure how to reinstall the game or if any of you think that would help.
    edited April 2013
    I have a question: Which version of Wineskin and which engine would you recommend for Snow Leopard 10.6.8?
    edited April 2013
    So my launcher used to have the old windows header, not the mac one, until a few days ago. I hadn't changed any settings, but when I opened it this is what I got:

The header is changed and there's a second window with fed badge thumbnail in it. I updated wine to 2.5.9 but nothing changed. I'm unsure how to reinstall the game or if any of you think that would help.
    I'd go in Wineskin.app and turn Window decorations back off... they are more trouble than they are worth sometimes.
    jaywest21 wrote: »
    I have a question: Which version of Wineskin and which engine would you recommend for Snow Leopard 10.6.8?
    Cannot just use the ones in the download here? If you want to do it yourself or upgrade... I haven't experimented with any of this much lately. If i did (when i do), I'll try with the latest Wine versions and the MacDriver and not use X11.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I have had this problem quite often lately. It seems to stop working after a few days. Then the same thing happens.. and then I have to reinstall... before it worked to copy over the map from one to another.. but now that doesn't work.

Anyone knows what the problem is?

I also have the problem that the icon does not start up the program.. sometimes I have to go into the winskin and run a test to make the prompt show up and start the program.
    edited April 2013

Cannot just use the ones in the download here? If you want to do it yourself or upgrade... I haven't experimented with any of this much lately. If i did (when i do), I'll try with the latest Wine versions and the MacDriver and not use X11.

The latest version of the Wineskin wrapper works fine but the latest version of the engine doesn't. It lets me log in but the launcher doesn't work or even load. So by trial and error I kept experimenting with many different engines til I finally found one that works (CX12.1.2, I think). That's the one I had been using when I was running OSX 10.8.3 Mountain Lion (I couldn't remember the number of it so I had to keep trying different ones til I found it). But my old (2008) iMac ran like TRIBBLE on Lion and Mountain Lion (ridiculously slow, lagging, crashing, unresponsive, etc.), even after I had upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB. So I went back to OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and now it's super fast and runs like a dream, better than new. So I decided to just leave it on Snow Leopard.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there might be certain engines in the Wineskin wrapper that are better for certain versions of OSX than others, i.e. if there might be some engines that are specifically optimized for Snow Leopard. Theoretically you should be able to just run the newest versions of both the wrapper and the engine, but that wasn't the case for me, even tho I used the download from here, which had everything up to date as far as I could tell.
  • bagpiper315bagpiper315 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i finished patching everything and it still wont work. i enabled and disabled the glsl thing and it wont work. i am running intel hd graphics and i still get an error message. it says that something might be wrong with wine. i even set my graphics all the way down and it wont work. i am running osx 10.8.3. please help!!!
  • ghostmatrix007ghostmatrix007 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey doh123 you should probably update the download to a newer wrapper version/engine and activate the Mac Driver this i find improves gameplay dramatically. Pls do this as others may not know how to!

Great Job!
    edited April 2013
    Lately .. despite updating to a new wrapper using the latest, I keep getting trouble with stating the launcher. When clicking on the icon it wakes alive but the it disappears and no appears.

To start the game I have to get into the wine-thingy and run a test to get the launcher to appear. Any idea how to fix this?

Grateful for any assistance.
  • muwatalimuwatali Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    HI all

I have some problem with loading game. Launcher starts with no problem, i select a character and while loading a sector it blocks (at around 48-50%)

Any toughts?
  • celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Everything else seems to be working fine, but the crystaline entity/shards/pets seem to have invisible models. Is there a setting that I can tweak somewhere?
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lately .. despite updating to a new wrapper using the latest, I keep getting trouble with stating the launcher. When clicking on the icon it wakes alive but the it disappears and no appears.
    You updated the wrapper, so all I can suggest is manually updating the Launcher too. Sometimes it can't update itself.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • johnnyjohnny1969johnnyjohnny1969 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but is there going to an updates made to the STO wrapper when LoR comes out? I think there may be a problem with the current wrapper and the new version of STO coming out May 21st that makes the keyboard and mouse not function correctly.

Here's some backstory, a few weeks go a I got invited to one of the beta weekends for Neverwinter. I installed it using the current STO wine wrapper....it worked for CO so I figured it might work for Neverwinter, and it did. I was able to play Neverwinter for the Beta event. Now, that they have updated Neverwinter and it has gone to Open Beta, I can still load the game, but when I get to the character select screen, my mouse doesn't work...nor does the keyboard. Or I should say...none of the buttons work. The letters on the keyboard seem to work, but 'special' keys like TAB and DELETE, etc...do not work, nor do my mouse buttons. I can move cursor around with the mouse, but cannot click on anything. For 'giggles & grins' I decided to try loading onto Tribble server with the hopes of seeing some of the new Rommie content....but am encountering the same issues at the character select screen, the mouse moves the cursor, but I cannot click on anything.
  • azimnazimn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have had the same issues with Neverwinter now that they are in open Beta. I played the closed beta fine but now my mouse clicks do not register and I have to close out as I cannot get past the monitor calibration screen. I hope a fix can be found as I hate to have to play on bootcamp.
  • mlwood98mlwood98 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am experiencing the same issue with the LOR beta. Can reach the character selection screen, but cannot select anything from that point.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mlwood98 wrote: »
    I am experiencing the same issue with the LOR beta. Can reach the character selection screen, but cannot select anything from that point.

You can resolve that by doing this.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • bertiewoosterbertiewooster Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Recently, out of the blue, I get a black screen after launching the game. The only thing I can think to blame was maybe a recent patch or something...nothing has changed on my end. I've tried reinstalling the game to no avail. Is anyone else having a similar problem/know how to fix it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Darius (TAC VA) USS Gahreesen (Chel Grett Cruiser), Shomat (SCI VA) ISS Selentic (Mirror DSSV), Napoleon (ENG Capt.) USS Fists of Latinum (Exploration Cruiser), Gothmog (Tac Capt.) IKS Nazgul (Hegh'ta Heavy BoP), Aaesia (Reman Sci Capt) RRW Arien III (Ha'Nom Guardian)
  • johnnyjohnny1969johnnyjohnny1969 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can resolve that by doing this.

That did it! Thanks!!!!

:cool:
  • asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hi

i just wanted to ask, if there is going to be an update on the wrapper for LoR? because i read here on the forum, that there already had been some "keyboard" and "mouse" trouble. no, im not a pessimist, im just asking if there is smth to be expected or just do what you always do, update/patch and play. maybe smby has some insight in that (i have no programing knowledge, so im just curious). thanks
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You would think a majority of Star Trek Fans have a Mac or two... Cryptic really should make a native version for OSX!
    edited May 2013
    asches1 wrote: »
    hi

i just wanted to ask, if there is going to be an update on the wrapper for LoR? because i read here on the forum, that there already had been some "keyboard" and "mouse" trouble. no, im not a pessimist, im just asking if there is smth to be expected or just do what you always do, update/patch and play. maybe smby has some insight in that (i have no programing knowledge, so im just curious). thanks

I'll try to... I have some Wineskin issues to work on this weekend, and I'll try testing things with STO and maybe getting an updated wrapper out that works better. Anything Minor needed for updates or expansions shouldn't be an issue unless their changes cause MAJOR issues, then it could take a long time. I don't have tons of time to devote to this :-)
  • misteryhistory1misteryhistory1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wondering if this could allow for use of a joystick in this and other games. If asked already, sorry, even google is not revealing the answers to me for some reason lol.
    edited May 2013
    Just wondering if this could allow for use of a joystick in this and other games. If asked already, sorry, even google is not revealing the answers to me for some reason lol.

Wine's support for Joysticks and Gamepads is very lacking in OS X... some games it works.. most it will not. As far as I know, its not something anyone is really seriously working on. Being that Wine is open source, anyone can go attempt to work on it... but finding the people with the drive and knowledge to do so is always difficult.
    edited May 2013
    I'll try to... I have some Wineskin issues to work on this weekend, and I'll try testing things with STO and maybe getting an updated wrapper out that works better. Anything Minor needed for updates or expansions shouldn't be an issue unless their changes cause MAJOR issues, then it could take a long time. I don't have tons of time to devote to this :-)

thanks for the answer :) anyway: Thanks for the effort you put in, to make us mac users play :D im very greatfull :)
    edited May 2013
    stohanson wrote: »
    You would think a majority of Star Trek Fans have a Mac or two... Cryptic really should make a native version for OSX!

i cant write my "A G R E E D" big enough :)
  • princesssteph1princesssteph1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Recently, out of the blue, I get a black screen after launching the game. The only thing I can think to blame was maybe a recent patch or something...nothing has changed on my end. I've tried reinstalling the game to no avail. Is anyone else having a similar problem/know how to fix it?

I have the same problem too. Its just a big white screen with a funny little mini window with a tiny sto logo. :mad:
    edited May 2013
    Help!

I tried to reinstall STO and now I get a white screen on the launcher.
    What should I do?
    I tried to replace the Star Trek Online.exe file with the forum, no effect.