test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let`s make our very own Star Trek deep-space mission with Enterpise F @ season 9

elcapitannx01elcapitannx01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
With STO being the only source of new star trek content (besides the movies) I really would like to see a new deep-space mission starting@STO. You can think about it as a long, instanced featured episode with persistent progress between the episodes.

Cryptic is setting the main story line, which expands to new stations in a new sector/quadrant on a weekly bases. This main story line is synced, every one playing the same missions. Between those missions (as Enterprise F travels from X to Y) we are doing some preliminary things, what maybe some small missions, craft weapons or equipment to be prepared for the coming fight/encounter. Maybe we are negotiating, trading etc...The outcome of our work between those missions should affect our next mission in the main story line, by giving us some buff, hot, bof, weapons etc.

So the main story line should be very streamlined, but the missions between should be very open. There should be a discussion between the players how to prepare best for the next encounter and not some npc, starfleet contact or item set decide for us. Maybe it would be best to focus research (per Doffs) to resist those energy weapons the enemy had and develop a new shield (Crafting). Or maybe it would be better to gain for some help by other species in the sector...The multiple oppurtunities also makes this content replayable.

I also would like to think about permadeath in that regard, that if your ship is destroyed, you will need to get a new one from starfleet and you will have to start your journey from the beginning. Not everyone should endure a deep-space missions (maybe there could be some wormholes etc. on a monthly bases so respawn-frustration will be limited).

I don`t know how much time and money could be invested in this but I would like to point out the oppurtunity CBS doing some part of the missions per video (something like Defiance atm) and offering it us for some money. Of course there should also be a text-based mission outcome so noone needs to pay anything. There are also plenty of teams out there doing some Star Trek fanfiction, which could be hired for the job. If done right, this could be the first interactive Star Trek series!
Post edited by elcapitannx01 on

Comments

• darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    not unless I get a paycheck.
  • elcapitannx01elcapitannx01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, you won`t need money as there always should be an option to do it for free. But: it isn`t unusual to get high quality stuff, as video from cbs would be, for money. If I want to see the newest Game of Thrones episodes I also have to pay for it...
  • captaineo3captaineo3 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The idea of this sounds very interesting actually.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    It is a cool idea although I think perma-death is pretty extreme departure for this casual friendly mmo(which I like). I thought they were planning to give foundry authors a way to better integrate their content with the game. It is still pretty messy with lackluster daily rewards.

I would love to be able to have "seasons" published by authors that we could go through like FE. Maybe the devs could allow the authors to hand out level appropriate gear (up to MK XI blue) as gear award. This way the community could offer a real alternative to Cryptic's story / content and we could level alts using totally different missions. Might encourage me to make more alts in between seasons / events.

It would probably only involve UI / organization work on the devs part. Unleash the true power of the Foundry devs.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited April 2013
    Well, my suggestion wasn`t meant to be realized with the foundry. But on second thought I can't see why not. I could care less, who is developing the stuff...but it needs to be reviewed by Cryptic and garnished with some nice loot.

But I doubt foundry authors could deliver this sort of episode for themain story line, as it needs to be planed over a long time, story needs to work over 10+ episodes, cutscenes need to be developed and so on...but those missions between the main story line could be done by foundry authors! There should be many different things to do between those weekly stops, so many foundry missions would be welcome.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With STO being the only source of new star trek content (besides the movies) I really would like to see a new deep-space mission starting@STO. You can think about it as a long, instanced featured episode with persistent progress between the episodes.

Cryptic is setting the main story line, which expands to new stations in a new sector/quadrant on a weekly bases. This main story line is synced, every one playing the same missions. Between those missions (as Enterprise F travels from X to Y) we are doing some preliminary things, what maybe some small missions, craft weapons or equipment to be prepared for the coming fight/encounter. Maybe we are negotiating, trading etc...The outcome of our work between those missions should affect our next mission in the main story line, by giving us some buff, hot, bof, weapons etc.

So the main story line should be very streamlined, but the missions between should be very open. There should be a discussion between the players how to prepare best for the next encounter and not some npc, starfleet contact or item set decide for us. Maybe it would be best to focus research (per Doffs) to resist those energy weapons the enemy had and develop a new shield (Crafting). Or maybe it would be better to gain for some help by other species in the sector...The multiple oppurtunities also makes this content replayable.

I also would like to think about permadeath in that regard, that if your ship is destroyed, you will need to get a new one from starfleet and you will have to start your journey from the beginning. Not everyone should endure a deep-space missions (maybe there could be some wormholes etc. on a monthly bases so respawn-frustration will be limited).

I don`t know how much time and money could be invested in this but I would like to point out the oppurtunity CBS doing some part of the missions per video (something like Defiance atm) and offering it us for some money. Of course there should also be a text-based mission outcome so noone needs to pay anything. There are also plenty of teams out there doing some Star Trek fanfiction, which could be hired for the job. If done right, this could be the first interactive Star Trek series!

someone has been playing too much starcraft 2 and EVE online recently :D with some RTS elements added. the issue of perma death and heading back home on a cargo ship to get another ship from your own ec? there will be a lot of angry people especially the c-store types who will have to invest millions and millions to get their ship back, the ship equipment, weapons and consumables, the whole nine yards, permadeath is not an option its bad enough the respawn timer is the way it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    someone has been playing too much starcraft 2 and EVE online recently :D with some RTS elements added. the issue of perma death and heading back home on a cargo ship to get another ship from your own ec? there will be a lot of angry people especially the c-store types who will have to invest millions and millions to get their ship back, the ship equipment, weapons and consumables, the whole nine yards, permadeath is not an option its bad enough the respawn timer is the way it is.

Right. I don't like the idea of perma-death considering how much work it is to gather gear and optimize builds. However, I do like the idea of adding some consequences to dying at level 50 and in "hard mode". I would be in favor of "wear and tear" for example where after 20 - 30 deaths you have to replace 1-2 items on your ship. Again, nothing too drastic but it might mix things up a bit and make people care about tanking / heals.

I don't think cryptic can push out content at sufficiently fast pace to satisfy OP. That's why I am for Foundry and community driven content. However, I do agree with OP that Cryptic does need to take a hand in keeping the "story" going.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With blackjack! And hookers!

/bender

Sorry, someone had to say it
    edited April 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Right. I don't like the idea of perma-death considering how much work it is to gather gear and optimize builds. However, I do like the idea of adding some consequences to dying at level 50 and in "hard mode". I would be in favor of "wear and tear" for example where after 20 - 30 deaths you have to replace 1-2 items on your ship. Again, nothing too drastic but it might mix things up a bit and make people care about tanking / heals.

Yeah well - with permadeath I didn`t mean you are actually losing your ship, but all your progress. So permadeath was a bad choice of words, "resetdeath" would be better. If your ship gets destroyed on the journey you will have to restart from the beginning (of the complete main-story-line) with no buffs, hots, weapons you may have had before your death.